United States of America

Grado Green2 Phono Cartridge

Post by josh00023 » 16 May 2019 08:59

I am looking into getting a Grado Green2 Phono Cartridge. listed here:

https://www.needledoctor.com/Grado-Gree ... tcol124=29

Anybody have any good thoughts on this?

The Cartridge has a Frequency Response: 10-50 and a
Output of 5mV.

My amplifier's specifications for Phono input is 3mv 47kohms.

johnnywalker

Re: Grado Green2 Phono Cartridge

Post by johnnywalker » 16 May 2019 13:25

I am in the process of breaking in a Grado Green2 right now. I bought it out of curiosity, and when I first got it, it sounded muffled and rolled off. I put it in a drawer, thinking that it was not my cup of tea. But because of some favorable reviews I subsequently read, I thought, "I have not given it a fair test," so I decided to give it a good break-in. After about 20+ albums, I must admit it is sounding better. Not as muffled now, and the detail is increasing. The top end sounds more natural, not as rolled off. I intend to give it another 20 albums or so before finally evaluating it, but frankly, I don't think it will ever improve enough to be one of my main cartridges. The carts that are in my regular rotation are Denon DL-103/R and DL-301II, Nagaoka MP-200, AT-440MLb, and AT-VM95ML, all on either a Technics SL-1200 or SL-1800 II with KAB tonearm damping. Of course, all of these carts cost more than the Grado Green2, but they have better detail and faster transition than I expect the Grado Green2 will ever have (the stylus is a bonded elliptical, and we don't even know the dimensions of it, while all the other carts mentioned above are nudes), and they have a quite different voicing.

BTW, I have had no problems with hum, and it definitely is "warmer" than the carts I usually listen to.

(You may like the Grado voicing, so this may be the best choice for you, but a perhaps "better" performer in this general price range might be the Nagaoka MP-110.)

patient_ot

Post by patient_ot » 16 May 2019 14:19

What turntable are you putting it on? I would consider the compliance matching to the tonearm before making a purchase.

RE: your phono input, would need more info to be sure, but that is probably a minimum spec @3mV.

FWIW some people have measured the Grado carts and found them to have less output than spec'd. It's possibly Grado arrives at their spec for output differently than most cart companies - not sure.

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 16 May 2019 15:26

Grado has their fans in this forum, I believe you will here from our friend Mr CaféLatte soon, he likes Grado very much. I haven’t heard the Green, I bought a LP Gear The Vessel for a similar amount, and it has a nice upgrade path of even better styluses. The LP The Vessel has an easy-listening sound with smooth treble and a good bass response.

The little bit more expensive Nagaoka MP-110 has many fans, and Sumiko Rainier is a tempting option for a little bit more. They too has an upgrade path - you can keep the generator/cartridge house and change the stylus for even better performance.

Boltman92124

Post by Boltman92124 » 16 May 2019 17:01

Do some research on your turntable with Grado cartridges to see if others experience a hum problem.

josh00023
United States of America

Post by josh00023 » 16 May 2019 21:35

I have a Technics SL-D2. I am Running to the input on my Akai AM-U03 Amplifier.

Specs Here:
Attachments
Capture.JPG
(101.86 KiB) Downloaded 180 times

plyscds
United States of America

Post by plyscds » 17 May 2019 15:24

I can't speak for the Green2, but I recently added a Red2 to my collection and found it to be competitive with the highest communally rated cartridges I have: only very moderate hum, and "that" only detectable with headphones on non-musical-content outer grooves my SL1200Mk5 and SL1800 Mk2 turntables. And in spite of "only" being an elliptical, it seems to find and present well all of the look-for discrete trivialities I want to hear from vinyl playback. Most of my listening is done with Grado 125 and 225 headphones.

josh00023
United States of America

Post by josh00023 » 18 May 2019 10:30

The hum is possibly caused by a bad ground somewhere.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 18 May 2019 12:31

Grado and direct drive:
Some DD motors are self-contained, with the platter on top. These are generally pretty well shielded, so should pose no problem.
Some DDs have the platter as part of the motor, the platter being the rotor. These can allow the magnetic impulses driving the platter to affect the cartridge. he Grados are unshielded, therefore can hum.

Cheers,
Alec

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 18 May 2019 14:29

johnnywalker wrote:
16 May 2019 13:25
I am in the process of breaking in a Grado Green2 right now. I bought it out of curiosity, and when I first got it, it sounded muffled and rolled off. I put it in a drawer, thinking that it was not my cup of tea. But because of some favorable reviews I subsequently read, I thought, "I have not given it a fair test," so I decided to give it a good break-in. After about 20+ albums, I must admit it is sounding better. Not as muffled now, and the detail is increasing. The top end sounds more natural, not as rolled off. I intend to give it another 20 albums or so before finally evaluating it, but frankly, I don't think it will ever improve enough to be one of my main cartridges. The carts that are in my regular rotation are Denon DL-103/R and DL-301II, Nagaoka MP-200, AT-440MLb, and AT-VM95ML, all on either a Technics SL-1200 or SL-1800 II with KAB tonearm damping. Of course, all of these carts cost more than the Grado Green2, but they have better detail and faster transition than I expect the Grado Green2 will ever have (the stylus is a bonded elliptical, and we don't even know the dimensions of it, while all the other carts mentioned above are nudes), and they have a quite different voicing.

BTW, I have had no problems with hum, and it definitely is "warmer" than the carts I usually listen to.

(You may like the Grado voicing, so this may be the best choice for you, but a perhaps "better" performer in this general price range might be the Nagaoka MP-110.)
Grados are 15°-tracking angle cartridges. For best performacne on 20°-cutting-angle records they have to be tilted like this:
Grado installation.JPG
(30.67 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
Depending on what kind of tonearm you have the spacer will differ in thickness, so you have to experiment - but you might be surprised. This especially helps against the muffled sound, but also dynamics etc. can be improved.

josh00023
United States of America

Post by josh00023 » 18 May 2019 20:26

The Technics SL-D2 Has a S Shaped tone arm.

AdlerW
United States of America

Post by AdlerW » 20 May 2019 16:52

Man, Grados sure need a lot of coddling to sound good. They may be cheap but they’re extremely picky. I’ve always found the Grado sound to be pleasant but my Grado Prestige2 never fared well on difficult-to-track records. It just had me wanting a stylus better than a bonded elliptical.

josh00023
United States of America

Post by josh00023 » 21 May 2019 02:26

I have heard the pro's and cons of the Grado so maybe the audio-technica AT91R might be better.I put a Denon DL-8 on my Technics and so far it sounds good. But I have heard of people mounting the screws upside down on the headshell and cartridge. Does that really change the Sound?

Boltman92124

Post by Boltman92124 » 21 May 2019 15:41

josh00023 wrote:
21 May 2019 02:26
I have heard the pro's and cons of the Grado so maybe the audio-technica AT91R might be better.I put a Denon DL-8 on my Technics and so far it sounds good. But I have heard of people mounting the screws upside down on the headshell and cartridge. Does that really change the Sound?
I am a "nuts up" guy! :D Not for sound reasons though. To me it's easier to mount that way and use different size screws.

johnnywalker

Post by johnnywalker » 21 May 2019 17:42

Grados are 15°-tracking angle cartridges. For best performacne on 20°-cutting-angle records they have to be tilted like this:
Grado installation.JPG
That contradicts the written instructions from Grado. I have just checked, and the instructions say to mount the cartridge and arm level with the record surface. In fact, there is this specific warning: "Do not add any material between the cartridge and the headshell to correct for VTA."