the home of the turntable

Complete newbie left with a bunch of cartridges and styluses

the thin end of the wedge

Complete newbie left with a bunch of cartridges and styluses

Postby ihavenoclue » 12 Jul 2018 20:22

Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask about this. I'm not sure where to look for answers.

My dad recently left me a couple hundred styluses and a few cartridges (he ran an electronics store a good 25 years ago).

I know literally nothing about turntables and am finding it hard to know what to do with these. Is there a place that buys this sort of stuff in bulk? Or if not, where would be a good place to put it all up? Any Help would be really appreciated!

As for the items, some of the containers look a bit dusty, but the units themselves look like they've never been touched.

Some of the cartridges:
Shure V15 TYPE IV
Audio-technica AT-F5/OCC
Audio-technica AT31E
Gerado F - 3E+

The styluses are all in little plastic boxes with yellow foam around them. They all say "Eurochannels Quality Stylus" on the front and have a make and model on the side. e.g.
Nagaoka JN511DJ
EMPIRE 2000E III
Akai RS-7
ihavenoclue

United Kingdom

Re: Complete newbie left with a bunch of cartridges and styl

Postby pinenut » 12 Jul 2018 20:50

Should be easy to sell ‘em. Sounds like you may have some popular goodies there.
I’m interested in the Empire stuff.. ^_^
pinenut

United States of America

Postby tcolegrove » 12 Jul 2018 21:09

I may be interested in buying the lot - depending on what all there is; quantities, condition and the like. Can you PM me with a ballpark price?
tcolegrove
contributor

United States of America

Postby ihavenoclue » 12 Jul 2018 21:17

Thanks for the quick reply guys. It's evening over here but I'll try to catalog them asap. It may take a little time but I'll report back.
ihavenoclue

United Kingdom

Postby jdjohn » 12 Jul 2018 23:58

Go to eBay and search on a few to see what they're going for. Pay attention to NIB (new in box) and NOS (new old stock) prices.
jdjohn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby vinyl master » 13 Jul 2018 01:16

You could make a list of what cartridges and styli there are and then advertise them here in the classifieds on VE with some ballpark prices...Are you into music at all personally, ihavenoclue? :-k IF you are, you may want to get yourself a nice turntable and learn as much as you can about it...This place is as good a place as any to get some solid information AND we're a lot friendlier and more patient! At least, I seem to think so! Maybe your dad left you some nice audio equipment, since he had so many quality cartridges and styli (or as you say styluses...)??? :-k In any case, you might want to keep a couple cartridges for yourself and divest yourself of the rest...I'm sure if you listed what you have, there would be more than a few takers here and you would know that they're all going into the right hands...I'm sure your dad would be proud to know that! If you want to know more about turntables, read many of the threads here...Lots of good information for newbies on up to more experienced collectors and enthusiasts...And don't forget, you can ask anything of the Engineers here...There is bound to be SOMEONE here with an answer for you! :D

Don't be a stranger and let us know what you decide...We're here to Help =D>
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby ihavenoclue » 13 Jul 2018 04:58

Well, that's a warm welcome, thank you! There is a storeroom full of equipment but it hasn't been stored well. The entrance is blocked but I'll definitely make a bigger effort to get in and take a look. I love music, but for some reason never considered turntables. Guess it's time to reconsider!
ihavenoclue

United Kingdom

Postby vinyl master » 13 Jul 2018 05:50

You may have some REAL gems in that storeroom, ihavenoclue...Was your dad a big "vintage stereo" guy? If you didn't WANT any of it, I'm sure many here would LOVE to Help you with THAT problem!! :wink: Considering your dad ran an electronics store years ago, there are bound to be some goodies in there! :-k Maybe you could let us know what you find...We'd be glad to Help sift the jewels from the junk for you and tell you what's good or not! Plus, it might be an amazing journey to see what's in that storeroom...Maybe a video of some sort documenting the place would be in order? :-k

Anyway, just a few suggestions for you, if you're game... :idea:
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby vinyl master » 13 Jul 2018 05:57

Oh, and regarding turntables...Yes, it IS time to reconsider...Because I'll have you know...VINYL IS NOT DEAD!! And once you get into vinyl records, it'll only get better! =D>

Take a look at what this year's biggest sellers on vinyl have been so far! :)

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-new ... ar__22467/

If you love music at all, VINYL is where it's at!! :mrgreen:
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Return to Cartridges and Preamps