the home of the turntable

Audio Technica AT33PTG/II and AT33 MONO

the thin end of the wedge

Audio Technica AT33PTG/II and AT33 MONO

Postby omegabri » 10 Jan 2018 16:49

Hi guys

I've just finished putting my new Audio Technica AT33PTG/II and AT33 MONO MC cartridges on to two matching Pro-Ject aluminium Signature headshells, and setting them up on my turntable.
I've moved up from an AT440mlb MM cartridge. Having briefly listened to a mixture of lp's, using the new carts, I can say that I am extremely pleased!
The AT33PTG/II gives more positioning of instruments than the AT440mlb (which is still an outstanding cartridge). The sound stage portrayed by my speakers seems to have more depth, the response of the MC cart seems sharper, and draws out more detail.
The AT33 MONO is, to me, simply astonishing! I've never had a dedicated true mono cartridge before, and listening to mono now just blows my mind. Outstanding isn't a good enough term. I'm definitely looking forward to dragging all my mono lp's out now!

I have a lot to sit and listen to, and no doubt some fine tweaks to try (I've already raised the VTA slightly, twice! :lol:), but as of this very moment I'm extremely pleased with my purchases :mrgreen:

Bri :) :)
omegabri

United Kingdom

Re: Audio Technica AT33PTG/II and AT33 MONO

Postby StephDale » 10 Jan 2018 20:32

Bri,

That's an enthusiastic recommendation! I have the AT33sa, which is an amazing thing as far as I'm concerned. if you can spare the time, can you give a bit more of your thoughts and experiences on the AT33Mono? It's a cartridge I've been looking at for a while, but couldn't find any direct experiences on the web.

I'd be interested to know how it compares with the AT33PTG/ii in terms of tone, detail, set-up etc.

Steph
StephDale

United Kingdom

Postby omegabri » 10 Jan 2018 21:57

StephDale wrote:Bri,

That's an enthusiastic recommendation! I have the AT33sa, which is an amazing thing as far as I'm concerned. if you can spare the time, can you give a bit more of your thoughts and experiences on the AT33Mono? It's a cartridge I've been looking at for a while, but couldn't find any direct experiences on the web.

I'd be interested to know how it compares with the AT33PTG/ii in terms of tone, detail, set-up etc.

Steph

Will do, Steph
I'm planning on spending a few days absorbing some lp's (time allowing) - now I have them both setup, but I'll defiantly keep you posted :wink:

The AT33sa would be next in line for me. I was 50/50 whether to plump for that one in the first place.. Nice cart!!

Bri
omegabri

United Kingdom

Postby ]eep » 14 Jan 2018 08:24

I take you are talking about the mono Lp? I've just received the mono SP with 3mil stylus to play 78's on my Lenco L78 (no riaa eq) and it plays very well. Almost like a time machine considering the age of the records.
Mono really isn't that bad, it can really relay a lot of atmosphere and emotion when it's done right.
I've owned a AT-OC9 which I loved till it died on me. So I sort of knew what to expect.
]eep

Netherlands

Postby omegabri » 14 Jan 2018 10:07

]eep wrote:I take you are talking about the mono Lp? I've just received the mono SP with 3mil stylus to play 78's on my Lenco L78 (no riaa eq) and it plays very well. Almost like a time machine considering the age of the records.
Mono really isn't that bad, it can really relay a lot of atmosphere and emotion when it's done right.
I've owned a AT-OC9 which I loved till it died on me. So I sort of knew what to expect.

Hi

Not the LP. This is the AT33MONO (below)
https://eu.audio-technica.com/hifi-phono/cartridges/AT33MONO

I agree with you though. Mono really sounds incredible, when played through a true mono cart! I've still yet to sit and listen properly to my mono lp's, but the brief time I spent setting the cart up was a real eye opener!

Best rgds...
Bri :)
omegabri

United Kingdom

Postby niels » 14 Jan 2018 17:32

The PTG II has been a best buy for some years now, its sound is sooo much more pleasing than the cd sound with its butt heavy monotone bass....
niels
long player
long player

Denmark

Postby ]eep » 14 Jan 2018 21:55

I chose the SP because I wanted to listen to the stack of old 78's I have collected. Since I Help in a charity 2nd hand store and sometimes find some nice records that are fragile and out of place. So to rescue them I take them home. Only I was unable to play them on my Clearaudio with only 1 arm and no 78 RPM.
I restored an old dusty Lenco L78, put a Consonance T988 on it and started looking for a suitable 3mil cartridge. First I looked at the VM670 with the white needle, so I could swap needles for other mono (blue 610) or stereo. But then there is the problem of proper RIAA (or better non-) requiring a seperate phono Amp solution.
Then I started looking at prices... A mono SP cost me €100 from Japan, a VMn670 needle costs the same or more. That made the choice rather simple doesn't it?
I use a fully modified (by me) completely unique Jolida Jd9 with 2 inputs and 2 outputs. For MC I use an AI 1000 transformer to the RIAA part, for mono I use the tube buffer without RIAA. I'm not quite done with the mono part though, it needs a bit more juice. I'm going to solve that with an extra opamp before the tubes.

And to keep playing around I bought my first MM cartridge, At95-78 from Thacker together with a HE stylus to see if the needle swap option is a viable, workable option for an old Thorens TD150 mkII I am working on.
]eep

Netherlands

Postby ]eep » 14 Jan 2018 21:58

Uhm, that's not true, it's for another Lenco L78. Thorens belt drive doesn't have a 78 pulley.
]eep

Netherlands

Postby omegabri » 24 Jan 2018 14:52

Incredible. Just hit the sweet spot with the AT33PTG/II. Wow cartridge 8)

I've been trying differing slight VTA elevations, and tracking force adjustments (and not spending enough time in one sitting performing the adjustments!)
My VTA has risen slightly more than I'd have first thought, but now, by ear, the sound is now beautifully projective and fills a wide sound stage in the room. The bass was ever so slightly 'wooly', almost boomy, but now its superbly clean. The mids are now more alive, and the highs more fluent in the air.

Right....next....the AT33MONO cart :roll: :lol:

(Apologies for my poor audio descriptive terms, regarding the sound! :lol: )
omegabri

United Kingdom

Postby omegabri » 25 Jan 2018 15:23

First thoughts on the AT33MONO...

Using the same VTA as for the AT33PTG/II, but with a tracking force of 2.5g (bang in the middle of recommendation)
Tonality is extremely similar to that of the AT33PTG/II, if not a little fraction brighter in the mids to high - notably saxophone is superbly pronounced when playing Illinois Jacquet : 'Swings the thing' mono album (although using the AT33PTG/II gives stunning voice to the saxophone on that lp too)

Without spending more time I'd say that the AT33MONO is a definite winner, and certainly a match cartridge for quickly and easily swapping over my identical headshells, allowing me to change between the AT33PTG/II stereo and AT33MONO carts, with only a tracking force adjustment needed.

As of this moment in time....... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
omegabri

United Kingdom

Return to Cartridges and Preamps