help finding replacement stylus for my Micro 3200/e

the thin end of the wedge
Gary Edward Link
United States of America

help finding replacement stylus for my Micro 3200/e

Post by Gary Edward Link » 01 Dec 2019 12:36

Hello All,

I am the proud and happy owner of a Micro Seiki v3200/e cart. In my humble opinion it is one of the best I've heard and coupled with my Micro Seiki DD-33 turntable, words can't describe.

As you might know, replacement stylus' are getting harder find. As of now I can only find a company out of Germany, Thakker and a seller who is selling Astatic stylus replacements-new old stock at a descent price.
Any recommendations out there?

I also noticed that some sellers are saying that the Pioneer PN 30 and 50, I believe are compatible. Any truth to this?

Thanks in advance!

G.

Delta667
long player
long player
Russia

Re: help finding replacement stylus for my Micro 3200/e

Post by Delta667 » 03 Dec 2019 04:21

You own a good sound cartridge.
I do not advise losing this sound.
The original "3200" stylus has a number of design features: a double damper and a slightly curved cantilever made of a very thin-walled aluminum tube.
The original stylus can still be found at the Japanese auction of Yahoo and its price is not at all scary ))
You just need to be patient and periodically control the lots.

D.

Collux
Australia

Post by Collux » 03 Dec 2019 10:31

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pioneer-tur ... ctupt=true
This stylus is made by JICO in Japan.
Replacement stylus compatible with Pioneer PN30 and PN50 styluses as well as the Micro Seiki V3200 series.

https://www.musonic.co.uk/index.php?mai ... s_id=32209
https://snvinyl.co.uk/Micro-Seiki-V3200 ... dge-V-3200

From the Tonar catalogue the stylus is listed as a 636

4clicks
Philippines

Post by 4clicks » 03 Dec 2019 17:46

I am using spherical Tonar stylus for my VF3200. It is already good to my ears and to be honest I have yet to hear the sound coming from the original MS elliptical stylus and I would presume that the original is better. However I am using a modest system and may not be able to resolve the difference between the two styluses. The Tonar stylus is very affordable and I am sure you have nothing to lose if you try one as you can use it for casual listening and reserve your original elliptical for more critical listening.
As to the pioneer styluses for pc 30 and pc 50, I believe the two were made by Micro for pioneer based on MS VF 3200 and or VF 3500 designs so there maybe some truth on the PN 30 and PN 50 styluses however it is said that you can not use MS V3200 stylus for the Pioneer without mods or it is the other way around, I am not sure which one is correct. Secondly, there are few info on the MS cartridges and lesser on the Pioneers. I believe the PN 30 and 50 are spherical and am not sure if they ever released elliptical models for the PC 30 and 50 cartridges so I see no practical point on hunting for pioneer styluses for VF3200 use. Needless to say it is more probable for you to find an original MS stylus than an original Pioneer stylus

Collux
Australia

Post by Collux » 03 Dec 2019 21:57

Interesting link re: VF-3200
https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index ... ic=18805.0

Maybe some Grace styli are compatible?

It looks to be a very nice cartridge.
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/mic ... 3200.shtml

Collux
Australia

Post by Collux » 03 Dec 2019 23:44

further link:
viewtopic.php?t=92776

Gary Edward Link
United States of America

Post by Gary Edward Link » 04 Dec 2019 10:34

Thanks to everyone for their responses. Your info helps a great deal. This hobby (passion) of ours is really wonderful. I often feel intimidated in posting due to the extreme wealth of knowledge here. Always a beginner, although I have been collected albums and gear all my life.

Going down the Micro Seiki rabbit hole is exciting and frustrating at the same time. Frustrating in the sense that there is not a lot of info out there and its not cheap. Now if I were talking about a Shure cart...

In reference to Shure carts, I originally had a M91ed on my TT. It sounded great to my ears. Especially from someone who grew up in the 70's. A lot of middle, pushed way up front. Many of my albums responded well to it. The Micro 3200 is a different beast all together. It has such a natural and wide sound. The separation is just incredible. I am hearing some records in a whole new light.

Thanks again everyone!

Gary