the home of the turntable

Systemdek AR tonearm problems

snap, crackle and pop

Systemdek AR tonearm problems

Postby Orchidman » 23 Oct 2017 09:30

I have a Systemdek!!X which I have had for sometime. It is fitted with a straight AR tonearm which has now failed as the lift mechanism isn't working. The tonearm is so old I can't find a spare part so I'm looking for advice as to which tonearm I should consider replacing it with. Many thanks if you are able to help.
Orchidman

United Kingdom

Re: Systemdek AR tonearm problems

Postby willboy » 23 Oct 2017 11:17

I had that same tonearm on my old Rotel RP-855. The arm lift mechanism also failed so I replaced the whole arm with a Rega RB300, which provided an all round better sound than the original arm. The RB300 seems to be a popular choice with the Systemdek IIX. A pre-drilled arm board to suit a Rega arm is available to buy on ebay etc, if required.
willboy

Postby willboy » 23 Oct 2017 12:27

PS...If you're interested - used RB300s tend to go for around the £125 - £150 mark on ebay. The pre-drilled arm boards about £30, which is a bit steep for what they are.
willboy

Postby themisto462 » 23 Oct 2017 13:55

Orchidman wrote:I have a Systemdek!!X which I have had for sometime. It is fitted with a straight AR tonearm which has now failed as the lift mechanism isn't working. The tonearm is so old I can't find a spare part so I'm looking for advice as to which tonearm I should consider replacing it with. Many thanks if you are able to help.

Jelco builds a tonearm lift for replacement. Maybe this could work for you.

drow_jl45.jpg

http://www.jelco-ichikawa.co.jp/product ... ssory.html

The price without shipping is 69 €.
themisto462
contributor

Germany

Postby xrayspex77 » 24 Oct 2017 15:53

themisto462 wrote:
Orchidman wrote:I have a Systemdek!!X which I have had for sometime. It is fitted with a straight AR tonearm which has now failed as the lift mechanism isn't working. The tonearm is so old I can't find a spare part so I'm looking for advice as to which tonearm I should consider replacing it with. Many thanks if you are able to help.

Jelco builds a tonearm lift for replacement. Maybe this could work for you.

drow_jl45.jpg

http://www.jelco-ichikawa.co.jp/product ... ssory.html

The price without shipping is 69 €.

If this is the Lift you have, have you tried changing the damping oil?
I have an AR "The Turntable" with that arm/lift and it is due for the damping oil to be changed.
Probably a thread here on this or over at Audiokarma.
xrayspex77

Canada

Return to Turntables and Tonearms