the home of the turntable

Unsuspended turntables and Grado's

snap, crackle and pop

Unsuspended turntables and Grado's

Postby cafe latte » 19 Oct 2017 06:45

Building the listening room a long shelf was made to carry my hifi and turntables. At the start I had a few issues with the turntables with loud music which improved when the shelf was loaded with vinyl and other gear and sorbothane footers were added to all turntables problem solved....
Maybe not it seems.. I have my Grado Platinum wood on the Technics sl1200mk2 at the moment (actually waiting for another cart from grado but will post when it arrives..)
I put on some very low bass music and to my surprise it started feeding back. :shock: It was very loud but still a surprise. I removed the turntable lid as this always fixes this issue but it didnt. I placed my hand on the shelf and you could of course feel the bass in the shelf. I then placed my hand on the plinth and to a much lesser extent ,but it was still there. Not a problem with other carts, but maybe the Grado being such high compliance anything that causes instability is going to mess with things. Fix idea is simple just need to get the welder out, I plan to make thick shelf brackets and bolt a strap between the two so a board for the turntable is not needed and turntable is to sit on its footers directly on the thick metal brackets. Any large surface wood mdf etc will pick up vibrations so my thinking is a solid minimalist wall bracket solid though will remove the problem, simply as you are reducing the surface area to catch vibrations. Thinking to make brackets wide enough so that the sorbothane footers can sit it should IMO be very dead indeed. What are your thoughts?
I cant help wondering if a lot of flack Grado get could be due to this and the angle they like to track at (tail up it seems).
My Technics and other unsuspended turntables sound great, but now cant help wondering if this wall shelf idea ie without a board to catch musical vibrations could clean up to the next level unsuspended decks??
Again thoughts?
Cheers
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Re: Unsuspended turntables and Grado's

Postby tckmet » 19 Oct 2017 08:16

Rega does it so if you have the assets do it I would just have a way so the footers are held/cupped to keep them in place would not want a mishap.
tckmet
contributor

United States of America

Postby cafe latte » 19 Oct 2017 13:14

Shelf is for sure a good idea I feel, but after more testing I am wondering if it is the poor profile of the Grado stylus jumping out the groove with the very low bass on the record. I tried many other records without a problem so I am thinking it is a tracking issue too. I do think though that a good shelf would probably solve the issue with this cart, but without making the shelf I wont know I suppose..
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby cats squirrel » 19 Oct 2017 14:30

Hi Chris,
I would have thought, given your location, that an ironbark tree split in half, length-wise would be about ideal. Either ironbark or Jarrah would suffice. 8)
currently listening with:
Lenco 59, Rega 250 + s/s stub and c/w, cAT92e cart in a metal housing, Plattamat2, Michell's clamp,
Musical Fidelity X-LPSv3, Cambridge Audio 640v2 x2
JPW Sonatas x 4, augmented with Fountek CD3 ribbon tweeters and EPOS 10 inch bass units
cats squirrel
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby cafe latte » 19 Oct 2017 23:51

cats squirrel wrote:Hi Chris,
I would have thought, given your location, that an ironbark tree split in half, length-wise would be about ideal. Either ironbark or Jarrah would suffice. 8)

Yes probably should have :D
Last night I listened to as many bass heavy records as I could find and did not have the problem again. My thoughts now are twofold first the issue maybe can be laid at the door of the poor profile of the Platinum wood stylus ie maybe it was literally jumping out of the groove with the very low bass?
Second thought is the shelf is very long it really was vibrating a lot. Resting my hand on the shelf was shocking how much I could feel. A small shelf can only catch so much energy due to its surface area, but an 8 meter shelf is going to catch a lot of energy. Lifting the TT off this shelf onto brackets must improve things even if this was not the cause of the problem (although it might be). Hey Cat would you bother damping the bracket or will they be too small to cause any issues? I will be mounting on Sorbothane feet too..
Cheers
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Return to Turntables and Tonearms