the home of the turntable

Beogram needs new belt

snap, crackle and pop

Beogram needs new belt

Postby Stevelocks3 » 17 Oct 2017 21:35

I posted on Sept 3rd but had no replies so will try again. A Beogram 4002 needs a new belt but I cannot see how to remove the original because the drive spindle is tucked under the top-plate with almost no clearance. Can someone advise me? There are also more details on my first post.
Steve
Stevelocks3

England

Re: Beogram needs new belt

Postby Coffee Phil » 17 Oct 2017 23:52

Hi Stevelocks3,

The manuals are here: https://www.vinylengine.com/library/bang-and-olufsen/beogram-4002.shtml

I think the owners manual will be more useful for getting the top plate off than the service manual. The service manual may not be complete.

I have a Beogram 3000, but have lusted over the 4002 all these years. Looking at those manuals makes me wonder. That is some intimidating beast. Still, someday who knows?

Phil

Stevelocks3 wrote:I posted on Sept 3rd but had no replies so will try again. A Beogram 4002 needs a new belt but I cannot see how to remove the original because the drive spindle is tucked under the top-plate with almost no clearance. Can someone advise me? There are also more details on my first post.
Steve
Coffee Phil
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby Stevelocks3 » 18 Oct 2017 12:19

Hi Phil,many thanks for the advice; I don't know how I missed the manuals before but will now read closely and work on the deck. I obtained a new belt but I think it's too long and may have to be exchanged.
I bought the deck over 15 years ago, locally and quite by chance, and have never used it. The original owner said it needed a new belt. I was too busy with work and family and I had other decks for everyday use. It will be good to get it going and I will let you know how I progress. I just hope all the electrics and mechanics are working; it's a lot more complicated than my old Thorens and Goldring/Lenco models!
Steve
Stevelocks3

England

Postby Stevelocks3 » 07 Nov 2017 19:12

Hi Phil
Having dismantled the 4002, I fitted the new belt (just about ok but maybe overlong), linked up my new cable, DIN to phono, and put on an LP. All fine for 2 minutes. I tried another LP and the arm would not lower! It moves back and forwards but won't drop automatically or when the lowering tab is pressed. There is no manual option so I guess the fault must be electronic. I tried again 2 days later with the same result, darn it! The lateral movement tabs work.
Do you have any suggestions? or does anyone?
Thanks Steve
Stevelocks3

England

Postby Coffee Phil » 08 Nov 2017 08:33

Hi Steve,

I have spent a bit of time in the manual but I'm sleep deprived now. I'll give it another try later.

The dropping of the arm appears to be controlled with a solenoid. First I would suggest verifying that the solenoid and the associated linkage can move freely. If nothing is binding, monitor the voltage across the solenoid coil. It should change when the arm rises or drops.

Phil

Stevelocks3 wrote:Hi Phil
Having dismantled the 4002, I fitted the new belt (just about ok but maybe overlong), linked up my new cable, DIN to phono, and put on an LP. All fine for 2 minutes. I tried another LP and the arm would not lower! It moves back and forwards but won't drop automatically or when the lowering tab is pressed. There is no manual option so I guess the fault must be electronic. I tried again 2 days later with the same result, darn it! The lateral movement tabs work.
Do you have any suggestions? or does anyone?
Thanks Steve
Coffee Phil
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby Stevelocks3 » 09 Nov 2017 11:09

Thanks Phil. Your advice leads me into new territory! Maybe I will recognise a solenoid if told where to look but doubt I could monitor voltage as I don't have the equipment. However I am keen to learn and may find someone locally to help. I will try to follow your suggestions and report on progress.
Steve
Stevelocks3

England

Postby Coffee Phil » 10 Nov 2017 02:15

Hi Steve,

Look for a cylindrical device linked to the arm lift mechanism. The pictures in the manual on this site are not all that easy to read but with it and looking at the machine you should be able to find it. There should be a plunger in the center which moves in and out lowering and raising the arm. If the mechanical parts move freely, the next step is to see if the signal is getting to the solenoid. There should be two wires going to the solenoid. You can get a ~ $5 digital volt / ohm meter from Harbor Freight. Set it to the volts scale and connect it across the solenoid. I don't know if it is energized to lift or lower the arm but it should change as the arm is supposed to lift or lower.

Phil

Stevelocks3 wrote:Thanks Phil. Your advice leads me into new territory! Maybe I will recognise a solenoid if told where to look but doubt I could monitor voltage as I don't have the equipment. However I am keen to learn and may find someone locally to help. I will try to follow your suggestions and report on progress.
Steve
Coffee Phil
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby Stevelocks3 » 13 Nov 2017 15:39

Thanks again Phil. I will look for a meter which may have been given to me years ago and try to make the test. I will let you know the outcome. Steve
Stevelocks3

England

Return to Turntables and Tonearms