the home of the turntable

JVC JL-A15 Turntable

snap, crackle and pop

JVC JL-A15 Turntable

Postby JOHN MULCAHY » 13 Oct 2017 05:20

I have a jl-a15 jvc turntable which has not been used for twenty five years. The turntable will not rotate freely. I guess the tapered shaft on which the platter sits is supposed to rotate . It appears to be frozen in situ. Has anybody removed the central shaft from the top without dismantling the bottom case cover and been able to free up the spindle? Love to hear from you. Mulks
JOHN MULCAHY

Australia

Re: JVC JL-A15 Turntable

Postby musicmn » 14 Oct 2017 01:24

Hi John, yes the spindle should rotate freely. I've serviced quite a few jvc turntables that have had frozen spindles. This seems to be a common issue with them. Now I usually remove the bottom then remove the screw from the side of the spindle housing. Then using a large soldering gun I heat the housing until the spindle pulls out. Then it's just a matter of cleaning the spindle and the inside of the housing and putting fresh oil in the housing and a little on the spindle as it's assembled. You can try just heating the spindle from the top of the turntable. It may loosen up if you can get enough heat on it with out damaging anything. But my advice is to remove the bottom and do as I explained to remove and clean the spindle. Its a good thing you caught this before the motor burned out from the strain or a frozen spindle. I 've seen this happen first hand. I hope this helps.
musicmn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby JOHN MULCAHY » 14 Oct 2017 10:25

Dear musicmn, seems like you are a "long player" with valuable experience. Thank you for your response, I will do exactly as you have suggested and hopefully achieve the same satisfactory result. I reside in Western Australia where the local resources are quite limited, a bouquet for the wonderful internet world. Best wishes, John.
JOHN MULCAHY

Australia

Postby JOHN MULCAHY » 15 Oct 2017 15:47

Hi musicmn,
Again thank you for your help with the JVC JL-A15 turntable with a frozen spindle bearing. I removed the spindle bearing assembly through the top by removing the three Phillips head retaining screws, removed the nylon gear from the spindle, then removed the spindle retaining screw from the bearing housing.
Following your suggestion I used heat to free things up, the old grease had solidified around the spindle and only the very sticky soap base of the original grease remained. It took quite some effort with 2 multi-grip pliers to work the spindle free, I cleaned up the old grease residue with nail polish remover, applied a new lithium base lubricant and hey presto! it's all re-assembled now and working beautifully. Keep up your good work, it really is appreciated by all. best wishes, John.
JOHN MULCAHY

Australia

Return to Turntables and Tonearms