the home of the turntable

Rek-O-Kut B-16-H restoration.

snap, crackle and pop

Rek-O-Kut B-16-H restoration.

Postby pschuch_AWA » 13 Oct 2017 04:40

Just signed into this forum on turntables for the first time.
I am a member of the Antique Wireless Association in Bloomfield, NY. I volunteer to maintain/restore/repair and calibrate just about anything to support our museum. We have a great deal of 16 inch records that we need to convert into digital form. We have no idea what is on them at this point. To do this I am restoring to operation an old Rek-O-Kut B-16-H "transcription turn table" (about the size of a dishwasher including the cabinet). So far so good. I fabricated some parts to transfer one tonearm from one unit to another. I have up and running a Yamaha amp and a mixing board with some old junk 78's. Now it is time to get the transferred tonearm aligned and calibrated. Is there anyone that can advise me on how to set the stylus pressure and more? The cartridge is a dual type that is selectable for either 78 or 33-1/3 and 45 rpm by pushing in a red "knob" and turning it for the correct turntable speed. I suspect I'll be supporting this area of the museum for a long time now that I am retired. It is very satisfying to do this kind of work! At the AWA, we cover anything related to the history of electrical/electronic communications including radio and TV broadcasting and phonograph equipment, etc.. Please see our site (Antiquewireless.org). Best Regards and thanks for any ideas and support, Pete
pschuch_AWA

United States of America

Re: Rek-O-Kut B-16-H restoration.

Postby cafe latte » 13 Oct 2017 04:49

Welcome!! We need pics this all sounds very interesting!
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby pschuch_AWA » 13 Oct 2017 16:02

Trying to add a few pictures of the tonearm getting tested.
The minumum weight on the stylus is about 11 grams.
I say minimum because the counterweight is starting to unthread from the arm.
I don't have pictures of the overall TT yet.
The arm is mounted to an aluminum plate 3/16 inches thick. I had to make this plate to adapt the tonearm to the TT base without altering the base so it can be restored to its original condition if we come across the exact parts someday. The tonearm that was on this TT was a Fairchild model but was damaged and then jury-rigged. This Fairchild arm had no apparent adjustments for stylus pressure. The replacement tonearm shown came from a Rek-O-Kut B-12-H TT and I doubt was the original. At least it has the counter weight:)
Attachments
DSCN1249.JPG
pschuch_AWA

United States of America

Postby pschuch_AWA » 18 Oct 2017 02:19

old Rek-O-Kut B-16-H up and running. The Cisco Kid recorded in the 50's sounded great this morning! We were blown away listening to WW2 news broadcasts!
pschuch_AWA

United States of America

Postby nat » 18 Oct 2017 23:38

It'll be ugly, but wrapping solder around the counterweight and taping it in place will get you the adjustment range you need.
nat
long player
long player
contributor

Postby pschuch_AWA » 19 Oct 2017 00:38

Thanks nat! We'll have a gauge to get it set to about 4 grams next Tuesday.
pschuch_AWA

United States of America

Return to Turntables and Tonearms