the home of the turntable

Year of JVC QL-L20B Liner Trac Turntable

snap, crackle and pop

Year of JVC QL-L20B Liner Trac Turntable

Postby markseka_99 » 13 Oct 2017 02:21

Hi all hope that there's someone here who can help tell me what year the Model JVC QL-L20B was produced. I bought a new old stock on EBAY and can't seem to find info on it anywhere. I did look here in the Library and it had one listed which looked a lot like it but had the Model # QL-L2 and no year when it was made. Thanks a lot and rock on!
markseka_99

United States of America

Re: Year of JVC QL-L20B Liner Trac Turntable

Postby SpeakerMania » 13 Oct 2017 03:51

This is not chiselled in stone or anything, but a start perhaps. Often, the difference between electronics components is only one letter or number. I believe that a QL-L2 will be a turntable that is semi-automatic (auto return only), while digits after the 2 will indicate additional functions such as being fully automatic play. Almost across the board, B indicates a black version of a component. Hope this helps...and most of the better turntables with such features are mid to late 80s, but that is all I can suggest right now. Nice turntable regardless! 8)
If you aren't part of the solution,
then you are part of the problem.
SpeakerMania

Canada

Postby SpeakerMania » 13 Oct 2017 04:13

That being said.....nowhere do I see Q as part of a linear turntable description in the library. As far as I know, all linear turntables begin with an L, then usually an E, followed by a number designation. According to the manual library, a QL is a regular pivoted arm turntable, albeit quite a good one. But, given that CD basically took over the market in 1986, most of the more sophisticated turntables prior to CD were produced from the early 1980s to 1986. Some further homework seems to be in order if you are to determine what you actually have, and hence, when it was made.
If you aren't part of the solution,
then you are part of the problem.
SpeakerMania

Canada

Postby tckmet » 13 Oct 2017 05:00

Just a suggestion look on the back or bottom of unit where the serial number is usally located and you may see a date. I have a few Yamahas PX-2/3s and a date was in that location. Did your NOS come with the owners manual? If it did scan and upload it to the library at you earliest convenience.
tckmet
contributor

United States of America

Postby H. callahan » 13 Oct 2017 07:16

If you really want to know take a look at bigger plastic parts. For example if the plinth of the tt is made of plastic, such a part usually has a "seal" from the mold. This often contains year and month of production, probably to make it possible for a manufacturer to trace back when a part was produced if a problem occured.
For that one usually has to take the tt apart, but such "seals" give an accurate date of production.
Sometimes such "seals" also can be found on the downside of the plattern, if the plattern was molded, too.
H. callahan

Germany

Postby markseka_99 » 13 Oct 2017 10:27

Thank you for your help the Turntable will hopefully be here today and it does have a manual and I will take the time to scan and upload to library if I can figure it out. The turntable is a new old stock and was never unpacked from its original box also it didn't come with a cartridge or styli so I ordered the P mount set up that will hopefully be here Saturday thanks again.
markseka_99

United States of America

Postby markseka_99 » 14 Oct 2017 01:48

Hi All, Well I got the QL-L20B turntable today and search as I might no date anywhere to be found short of tearing it apart and that's not happening without a service manual. So I got to thinking which is scary in it self and it came to me service manual is bound to have a date on the bottom right hand corner. So off to Ebay I went and I was able to find a very expensive 13 page service manual and it had one picture of the front cover and there on the bottom right hand corner barely visible was Jan. 1985 Yaaah!!!!! So when I get settled in with this beautiful TT I will try and copy and down load manual once again much thanks, very nice having other folks brains to pick have an awesome weekend ROCK ON!!!!!!
markseka_99

United States of America

Return to Turntables and Tonearms