the home of the turntable

Columbia Console-newbie

snap, crackle and pop

Columbia Console-newbie

Postby Detroyer12 » 13 Oct 2017 01:32

Recently acquired a Columbia Model C1148-M with a 4 speed BSR record player. I am relatively new to the vinyl game, and picked up my first record at a local flea market. The turntable will not turn, and neither will the knob that selects the rpms. Can anyone help me out please???
Detroyer12

United States of America

Re: Columbia Console-newbie

Postby musicmn » 13 Oct 2017 02:14

Hi, the problem with your turntable is old dried up grease has frozen the mechanism to the point that nothing will move. The solution is to remove the entire mechanism and clean the old grease off of every part. Then use fresh grease on the parts as it's assembled. I have worked on a lot of BSR turntables over the yrs and this is a very common problem with them. And on all of the ones I have serviced I have had to heat a lot of the pivot points to melt the old grease just to get the everything a part. The motor should also be disassembled the bearings cleaned and fresh oil applied to to them. BSR turntables are relatively easy to service but they are a full automatic so there are a lot of levers, e clips, springs ect that need to be removed and kept in order so the mechanism can be assembled correctly. You will find a lot of posts on this site regarding this issue hopefully they can help. You can check the library on this site for a manual or you will need to find one on line. I hope something here helps.
musicmn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Re: Columbia Console-newbie

Postby vinyl master » 14 Oct 2017 08:39

Check your messages (PM), my friend...

By the way, musicmn is right about the old grease...It's common with these older players...Take plenty of pictures if you remove anything. That way, it will be easier to reassemble everything again!
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Return to Turntables and Tonearms