the home of the turntable

System Mismatch?

snap, crackle and pop

System Mismatch?

Postby NaturalBritain » 11 Oct 2017 10:49

Hi All

My system has evolved over the last few years, thanks in part to a nice PPI claim payout... unfortunately that means I did a few bits all at once, and I'm now wondering if I'm a victim of a mismatch somewhere.

Current system :

Inspire Rega P5 (in reality this is the motor and speed control/PSU from the P5, with an Inspire plinth & Delrin platter, Groovetracer sub-platter, AudioNote arm and Ortofon 2M Black cartridge)
Croft Acoustics RIAA phono stage
Cyrus 8A amp with Cyrus PSX-R
Spendor A3 speakers

I also have a Logitech Squeezebox Touch (with uprated PSU) running through a Rega DAC

I use Russ Andrews mains cabling and extension block, interconnects are mostly Chord, speaker cable is Atlas Hyper 3

Now, on listening, and comparing... my Squeezebox basically gives as good a performance as my turntable - and, bearing in mind the price differential, I'm fairly sure it shouldn't! In some regards it even outperforms the turntable, having a deeper bass (on some tracks), and imaging more clearly (on some tracks).

Can anyone spot an obvious glaring error/missing link that is the reason my turntable just doesn't 'excite' me in the way I feel it should? (excite may be the wrong word...emotional involvement is probably better).
My music tastes are a mixture of modern day prog rock (Steven Wilson, The Pineapple Thief, Riverside etc) and acoustic/singer-songwriter (especially female voices), with the occasional heavy metal included...

Help!
NaturalBritain

United Kingdom

Re: System Mismatch?

Postby jackie » 11 Oct 2017 18:38

I have always found that suspended sub chassis turntables offer the best bass, and very good soundstage, however they can cause trouble with suspended floors and children. A Linn or similiar could suit you well
jackie

Postby abs1 » 11 Oct 2017 18:45

Lots of listeners like the 2M Black. Personally, I'm not in love with it - JMO. I don't hate it, but it just doesn't "do it" for me.

In your case, I'd begin by trying a different cartridge. Different horses for different courses! Perhaps the Ortofon just isn't your cup of tea.

Cheers,
Al
VPI Traveler V1 w/modded tonearm, ZuAudio DL-103 II grade 2, Auditorium 23 SUT, Thorens TD160/Denon DL-103r, Denon AU-300 LC SUT, EAR 834P MM phono stage, Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum (KT120's) integrated, Jolida JD100A tube CD player, Audio Note 2.1B DAC, Tekton Design M-Lore towers.
abs1

United States of America

Postby Alec124c41 » 11 Oct 2017 19:14

You have a fine system.
Perhaps a Benz Glider, or the Gold or Silver, would bring that life you crave.

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer

Canada

Postby Legrace » 11 Oct 2017 19:19

Another + on cartridge. Suggest investing into LOMC along with SUT. My experience similar to yours until I made this change.
Reanimated vinyl enthusiast circa 2015...
#1 AudioMods V Rega RP6/Kiseki Purple Heart NS
#2 Dual 721/Rega Apheta 2
#3 Sony PS-X4/Pickering XV-15/625E
Amps: Marantz PM11S1, VTA M125 Monoblocks
Speakers: Tannoy D700 (biamped), SVS2000 sub
Legrace
long player
long player

Canada

Postby kb007 » 11 Oct 2017 21:16

+1 on cartridge. Best approach (and most costly) will be a lomc and either new phono stage or SUT. You might be able to get away with a homc, something like a sumiko BPS or a number of other homcs.
Main: JMLab Mezzo Utopias, Oracle Delphi Mk 1/6, SME309, Sumiko Celebration, AR CD3, Sutherland Insight, Moon P5, AR Ref-75 Sec: Rega P6/RB2K Lim Iso base, Acrylic skeletal plinth/braces, dbl pulley, gt sub, DV 17D3, Anthem AVM60, Krell 402e, , 2X Anthem MCA50, Acoustech PH-1, Totem Mani-2
kb007

Canada

Postby NaturalBritain » 12 Oct 2017 20:47

Thanks all!

I was thinking cartridge - but thought I'd ask for advice first in case everyone pointed out something else was the issue...

So, research time it is, will be a month or two before a purchase can be made (maybe an Xmas present to myself), but often the research is a big part of the fun!
NaturalBritain

United Kingdom

Return to Turntables and Tonearms