the home of the turntable

System Mismatch?

snap, crackle and pop

System Mismatch?

Postby NaturalBritain » 11 Oct 2017 10:49

Hi All

My system has evolved over the last few years, thanks in part to a nice PPI claim payout... unfortunately that means I did a few bits all at once, and I'm now wondering if I'm a victim of a mismatch somewhere.

Current system :

Inspire Rega P5 (in reality this is the motor and speed control/PSU from the P5, with an Inspire plinth & Delrin platter, Groovetracer sub-platter, AudioNote arm and Ortofon 2M Black cartridge)
Croft Acoustics RIAA phono stage
Cyrus 8A amp with Cyrus PSX-R
Spendor A3 speakers

I also have a Logitech Squeezebox Touch (with uprated PSU) running through a Rega DAC

I use Russ Andrews mains cabling and extension block, interconnects are mostly Chord, speaker cable is Atlas Hyper 3

Now, on listening, and comparing... my Squeezebox basically gives as good a performance as my turntable - and, bearing in mind the price differential, I'm fairly sure it shouldn't! In some regards it even outperforms the turntable, having a deeper bass (on some tracks), and imaging more clearly (on some tracks).

Can anyone spot an obvious glaring error/missing link that is the reason my turntable just doesn't 'excite' me in the way I feel it should? (excite may be the wrong word...emotional involvement is probably better).
My music tastes are a mixture of modern day prog rock (Steven Wilson, The Pineapple Thief, Riverside etc) and acoustic/singer-songwriter (especially female voices), with the occasional heavy metal included...

Help
NaturalBritain

United Kingdom

Re: System Mismatch?

Postby jackie » 11 Oct 2017 18:38

I have always found that suspended sub chassis turntables offer the best bass, and very good soundstage, however they can cause trouble with suspended floors and children. A Linn or similiar could suit you well
jackie

Postby abs1 » 11 Oct 2017 18:45

Lots of listeners like the 2M Black. Personally, I'm not in love with it - JMO. I don't hate it, but it just doesn't "do it" for me.

In your case, I'd begin by trying a different cartridge. Different horses for different courses! Perhaps the Ortofon just isn't your cup of tea.

Cheers,
Al
abs1

United States of America

Postby Alec124c41 » 11 Oct 2017 19:14

You have a fine system.
Perhaps a Benz Glider, or the Gold or Silver, would bring that life you crave.

Cheers,
Alec
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer

Canada

Postby Legrace » 11 Oct 2017 19:19

Another + on cartridge. Suggest investing into LOMC along with SUT. My experience similar to yours until I made this change.
Legrace
long player
long player

Canada

Postby kb007 » 11 Oct 2017 21:16

+1 on cartridge. Best approach (and most costly) will be a lomc and either new phono stage or SUT. You might be able to get away with a homc, something like a sumiko BPS or a number of other homcs.
kb007

Canada

Postby NaturalBritain » 12 Oct 2017 20:47

Thanks all!

I was thinking cartridge - but thought I'd ask for advice first in case everyone pointed out something else was the issue...

So, research time it is, will be a month or two before a purchase can be made (maybe an Xmas present to myself), but often the research is a big part of the fun!
NaturalBritain

United Kingdom

Postby NaturalBritain » 19 Dec 2017 20:49

Okaaayyyy...

So, not quite to plan...

I no longer own any Cyrus kit (amp, psu or CD player)!

I do own an Ekco EV55SE valve amplifier which is bloody gorgeous and sounds PHENOMENAL!
I've had a hankering for a valve amp since hearing the Ming Da room at the HiFi show just under 2 years ago, this came along, and with a decent trade in was very affordable.

Anyway, it's just showing up even more that I don't like my 2M Black - to the extent I've swapped back to my 2M Blue (anyone want to buy a Black stylus?)

So, would a Benz Micro Glider (high output version) be a good move? The other option I thought of was the Clearaudio Maestro V2 which gets good reviews also?

Any more thoughts people?
NaturalBritain

United Kingdom

Postby Alec124c41 » 20 Dec 2017 03:52

I have a Benz Glider HOMC, and can recommend it highly.

Cheers,
Alec
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer

Canada

Postby GrumpyBob » 20 Dec 2017 08:11

NaturalBritain wrote:Hi All

I also have a Logitech Squeezebox Touch (with uprated PSU) running through a Rega DAC

Now, on listening, and comparing... my Squeezebox basically gives as good a performance as my turntable - and, bearing in mind the price differential, I'm fairly sure it shouldn't! In some regards it even outperforms the turntable, having a deeper bass (on some tracks), and imaging more clearly (on some tracks).

The Squeezebox Touch will be delivering bit-perfect digital audio to your DAC, so there's no reason why it wouldn't sound top notch!

I still use the Logitech Media Server, through several Squeezeboxes including a Touch. Raspberry Pi works well as a streamer, too.

Robert
GrumpyBob

United Kingdom

Postby NaturalBritain » 20 Dec 2017 09:13

Alec124c41 wrote:I have a Benz Glider HOMC, and can recommend it highly.

Cheers,
Alec

Hi Alec

How fussy is the Glider with regard to set up - I know the 2M Black is so particular, I'd rather move to something that isn't quite so awkward! Also, how is it with surface noise/less than perfect LPs (not that I have many)?
I've also seen the Benz Micro Ace as an option - I've seen a couple of reviews where they say the Ace is *almost* as good as the Glider - there's a £200 price difference in the UK between them, so that's an interesting idea?

Thanks
Simon
NaturalBritain

United Kingdom

Postby Cloudbase » 20 Dec 2017 14:10

If you fancy considering a slightly cheaper HOMC cartridge how about a Dynavector 10x5 ? It was a doddle to set up on my decks Origin Live arm and I listen to similar musical genres to yourself. It sounds very good to my ears.
I think the price has crept up to about £400 these days. You pays yer money and takes yer chance though. :wink:
Just a thought.
Cloudbase

England

Postby billshurv » 20 Dec 2017 23:09

GrumpyBob wrote:
The Squeezebox Touch will be delivering bit-perfect digital audio to your DAC, so there's no reason why it wouldn't sound top notch!

I still use the Logitech Media Server, through several Squeezeboxes including a Touch. Raspberry Pi works well as a streamer, too.

Robert

Exactly. For fidelity the squeezebox will be superior. If you are trying to make your vinyl front end outperform your digital front end you will end up disappointed. You need to decide on the presentation you want from your vinyl and then aim for that.
billshurv
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Return to Turntables and Tonearms