the home of the turntable

Any info on the Kenwood KD-12RB?

snap, crackle and pop

Any info on the Kenwood KD-12RB?

Postby Desertman123 » 10 Oct 2017 20:46

I've tried looking around for much info on this table and I can't find much. Service manual is available on eBay but that's about it.

Got it for cheap but great condition just to get back into vinyl - it had the bells and whistles I needed. Adjustable weight, anti-skate and 1/2" cartridge.

What year(s) was this made?
I think I saw somewhere the tracking weight was 2-4g but correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!

Desertman123

Russia

Re: Any info on the Kenwood KD-12RB?

Postby musicmn » 11 Oct 2017 01:30

Hi Desertman123, My guess would be mid to late 1980's. It was made just prior to the T4P turntables that most name brand manufacturers were putting out. That TT is a lot better then any T4P do to the fact that at least you can adjust the counter weight and anti skate if you decide to change out the cartridge. 2-4 grams tracking seems a little heavy but I could be wrong. Best thing to do is google the name or model number of the cart installed for the tracking force gram weight. Or post a clear pick of the cart here and we'll be able to help you out.
musicmn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Re: Any info on the Kenwood KD-12RB?

Postby Desertman123 » 12 Oct 2017 20:04

musicmn wrote:Hi Desertman123, My guess would be mid to late 1980's. It was made just prior to the T4P turntables that most name brand manufacturers were putting out. That TT is a lot better then any T4P do to the fact that at least you can adjust the counter weight and anti skate if you decide to change out the cartridge. 2-4 grams tracking seems a little heavy but I could be wrong. Best thing to do is google the name or model number of the cart installed for the tracking force gram weight. Or post a clear pick of the cart here and we'll be able to help you out.

That's what I was thinking! I've had an Audio Technica AT-PL50 and felt really held back by it. Barely anything was replaceable OR adjustable.

I just set the weight to 3g and it sounds a-ok! Thanks for the advice!
Desertman123

Russia

Return to Turntables and Tonearms