Marantz TT2000 doesn't spin

snap, crackle and pop
depaj

Marantz TT2000 doesn't spin

Post by depaj » 19 Sep 2017 15:18

Hello!

I found a dusty but in good shape Marantz TT2000 in my grand father's attic. He said it had some problems when he put it away but that didn't scare me so I took it home. Well the main problem seems to be that it doesn't turn. The strobe lights up when I move the tone arm but no movement from the platter except when I switch from 33 to 45 rpm. It just gives a little kick and stops again.
So far I cleaned the pitch control pot. and the switch. When I turn both variable resistors for speed all the way up I get some very faint spinning but far from what it should be.
Any suggestions ?

Reuben Pillay

Re: Marantz TT2000 doesn't spin

Post by Reuben Pillay » 23 Jun 2018 18:11

Hi. Where you able to repair your Tt2000?
I have the same model that also does not spin. Will trouble shoot the electronic circuit.

Tom_Technics

Post by Tom_Technics » 23 Jun 2018 22:30

Replace all electrolytic capacitors and do not power the turntable on again until you have done so as you could fry the motor control IC. You may have already done that, so if you have a multimeter it would be worth testing the IC according to the instructions in the service manual.
It is very important to replace electrolytic capacitors in direct drive turntables every 15-20 years as most have 1 or more IC's in their circuitry which can be easily be shorted if a component fails. While you're in there, also check all solder joints and look for any more deteriorated components. It is rare that other components require replacement as turntables don't get hot like power amplifiers. You just have to keep an eye on things that deteriorate with age. Those things being electrolytic capacitors, potentiometers, switches, wiring and solder joints.
I replace the capacitors in every single direct drive turntable I work on/ sell that is over 20 years old. I mostly deal with late 70's/ early 80's units so it's a matter of necessity most of the time.

Reuben Pillay

Post by Reuben Pillay » 25 Jun 2018 08:25

Thank you for the prompt reply.
I am going to replace the electrolytic caps as you suggested and the op amp IC as well.
Kind regards.

erminiagraph
Greece

Post by erminiagraph » 20 May 2019 21:53

Hi! What happened finally with your turntable? I have the same turntable and the same problem too. Did you try to solve the problem, with the way that they suggested you?

gelectr2
Canada

Post by gelectr2 » 24 Jun 2019 17:32

Apparently this "lighting up but not turning" is a common problem with this model, and no one here seemed to have a solution, so here goes. I'm a component-level electronics service tech, and my TT2000 had this problem. Interestingly, my TT2000 would give a little "kick" of the turntable if the 33/45 switch was tapped, but would stop right away. Only the light for the speed strobe would stay on. Some deep diagnosis fixed mine.

First of all, Tom_Technics, this model doesn't have a motor control IC. It's done by 4 transistors (X6, X7, X8, and X9), all of which were good in mine.
The electrolytics were all fine in mine, and since turntables don't make much heat, I'd say leave them alone. What I found was that half of IC1, and transistors X1, X2, X3, and X5 form an amplifier circuit that gets pulses from a pickup coil in the motor, and feeds a DC voltage to X4, that varies with the speed of the turntable. This is for a feedback circuit to control the speed through the second half of IC1. Now, all these transistors tested good with a simple check on a multimeter, and they are all 2SC2308's.
Pulling those transistors and testing them with a transistor tester showed the problem. All of them had a gain of about 170, except for X3, which only tested at 85. Now I didn't have any 2SC2308's, but I did have some 2SC2274's, which are pretty much the same thing, specification-wise. I installed one of them in for X3, put all of the other original transistors back in place, and the turntable now runs perfectly!
If you don't have a transistor tester, but you measure 6V on the collector of X3 when the turntable is supposed to be running, it might be X3 that's the problem.

Hope that helps someone out!
Greg B
Greg's Electronics

depaj

Post by depaj » 24 Jun 2019 17:40

Hello Greg,

Great of you to share this with us, that does sound very similar to the symptoms on mine. I replaced caps though and it turned for a few seconds before stopping again, some of them measured really terrible and needed to be changed but obviously weren't the only problem.
I will maybe see if I can give it a try tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice

depaj

Post by depaj » 25 Jun 2019 14:48

Success, I replaced all 4 of the 2sc2308 (2 of them were reading ok, the other 2 had a gain of under 80). I replaced them with KSC1845 that are easily available and cheap and it works perfectly).

Thank you again Greg

gelectr2
Canada

Post by gelectr2 » 26 Jun 2019 00:16

You're welcome, depaj! Glad my hours of being a hermit at my bench helped someone else out. I'm really glad you came back here to tell me of your results, and what transistors you used. That makes my day! :D

I still have the PM400 amplifier that came with my TT2000 to repair, as well as the ST400 tuner, and the SD3000 cassette deck. :cry: Every single component was broken. This entire system was a complete pig in a poke. But at least the turntable sounds good through my Audiolab 8000A and my Cerwin Vega D-9 speakers!!

Keep them spinning!
Greg B
(Greg's Electronics, Ontario, Canada)