the home of the turntable

Teac TN-300 or Denon DP-300F or Fluance RT81?

snap, crackle and pop

Teac TN-300 or Denon DP-300F or Fluance RT81?

Postby Morrisonic » 13 Sep 2017 23:43

I am new to the forum, and I need some advice. I am planning on purchasing a new turntable. I am looking at the following:

Teac TN-300
Denon DP-300F
Fluance RT81?

Which would be the best choice?
Morrisonic

United States of America

Re: Teac TN-300 or Denon DP-300F or Fluance RT81?

Postby Ghaasl » 14 Sep 2017 01:52

Are you in need of an onboard preamp? If not, look into a good vintage table. Scour Craigslist, used record shops, antique stores, goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. If you're hellbent on a brand new unit, I believe the Denon is the only one with auto return. The Teac is a beautiful table with the cherrywood finish. And, the Fluance was recently featured on the vinyleyezz YouTube channel. All are belt driven. I'd still look for a decent vintage table if I were you. They can be had for a cheaper price, their specs are far and away better than the new decks, and with the money you save, you can pick up a vintage amp and some decent used speakers. For example: I paid $70 for my receiver (Kenwood KV-R 8070, not exactly vintage but has phono in and is in good shape), $40 for my speakers (Pioneer S-D1), and $125 for my turntable (Pioneer PL-250). That's a grand total of $235 for my vinyl rig. It's not hi-fi by any means, but it sounds good to my ears.
Ghaasl

United States of America

Postby tckmet » 14 Sep 2017 04:57

Audio Technica AT-LP5/ Fluance RT81 look like they are built by the same manufacture but almost half the price for the Fluance. Plastic or MDF Plinth? After market up grades for the AT Arm which the Fluance shares(future upgrade) Denon is auto functioning. Sorry I really do not know much about the Teac. You can pick up the Fluance for under 200.00 with free shipping on e**y.
tckmet

United States of America

Postby Slavikcc » 14 Sep 2017 13:13

The three turntables are technically the same as they are built at the Ya Horng OEM factory in Taiwan or mainland China. If I were to choose out of the three, I would choose the Fluance RT81.
Slavikcc

Canada

Postby raphaelmabo » 14 Sep 2017 14:24

You might find this review interesting...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_LzV45Ha30
The reviewer says that the Teac has poor speed stability, so it suits best for rock/pop not classical music or other records with longer notes. For this money the Pro-Ject featured in the review is good sounding and better than the Teac (neither the Denon or Fluance was featured in this review). If you like the brand Teac I would recommend going for a more expensive one like the TN550, this has clearly a better drive system.

The Denon has good sound for the money, the stereo image or sound perspective is a bit shrinked compared to more expensive turntables and the sound is lacking a bit in details, but for the money it's perfectly Ok and if you want automatics then this is a nice turntable that's been around for quite some time on the market.

I can't comment on the Fluance RT81, I don't know anything about it. It looks like a combination of parts used in Audio Technica turntables, but with a nice plinth. Price is suspiciously low. Question mark for speed stability.
() Thorens TD 203, TP82 with Benz Micro MC Silver, Thorens MM02
() Marantz CD63 KI Signature, Pioneer A575, Alchemist TS-1D
() Alchemist Nexus, Alchemist Axiom
() Infinity Reference 50, ALR Jordan Entry 2M
raphaelmabo

Sweden

Postby rich12 » 14 Sep 2017 16:38

Ghaasl wrote:Are you in need of an onboard preamp? If not, look into a good vintage table. Scour Craigslist, used record shops, antique stores, goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. If you're hellbent on a brand new unit, I believe the Denon is the only one with auto return. The Teac is a beautiful table with the cherrywood finish. And, the Fluance was recently featured on the vinyleyezz YouTube channel. All are belt driven. I'd still look for a decent vintage table if I were you. They can be had for a cheaper price, their specs are far and away better than the new decks, and with the money you save, you can pick up a vintage amp and some decent used speakers. For example: I paid $70 for my receiver (Kenwood KV-R 8070, not exactly vintage but has phono in and is in good shape), $40 for my speakers (Pioneer S-D1), and $125 for my turntable (Pioneer PL-250). That's a grand total of $235 for my vinyl rig. It's not hi-fi by any means, but it sounds good to my ears.

A 40 year old turntable is highly unlikely to meet spec, and a spec is a spec, not an individual measurement of a particular unit. Moreover, specs from different manufacturers are generally not comparable because they are frequently measured differently, some manufacturers are much more conservative than others, and some manufacturers don't meet their published specs.
rich12

Postby Vinylfreak86 » 14 Sep 2017 17:21

All these turntables are inside actually the same, made on the same basic model in the same factory. You pay more or less for design of turntable and for some small improvements.
Vinylfreak86

Slovenia

Postby ttomt » 14 Sep 2017 19:28

These are the same as the Pioneer pl 30k. I have four of these (all came in broken with speed issues - change 1000uf capacitor in power board and speed issues stop). I have not encountered speed issues with the other brands. I am keeping one PL 30k for myself as I really like these turntables. The only problem I have had is that they are highly microphonic to speakers and external vibration if placed wrong or not isolated properly.
The stock cart and stylus on the Pioneer is the ATN3600l which tracks heavy (2.5 -3.5grms) but it takes other lighter tracking carts with no issue. I have tried a few different cartridges and they all work excellently.
Sound quality, stock, is good but a cart change can bring it to life.
Even though I am keeping a PL 30k (for now) I would not buy one of these new, there is way too much available from other manufacturers at £200-£300 that will just feel better and will not be so plastic. And if you go second hand instead then comparing that purchase to the PL 30k and it's clones makes them a total waste of time and money. They are really very plastic and hollow!
There is much better out there for your money. I am sure this site will have many good solid suggestions as alternatives. Just post your budget and read the advice given. Somebody may even have or know of a bargain in your area!
Hope this helps.
ttomt

United Kingdom

Postby Morrisonic » 20 Sep 2017 18:10

thank you everyone for your responses. I am leaning towards the Denon, for the simple reason that I have bad luck with fully manual turntables (lots of ruined needles). and the Denon can only be an improvement over the cheap table i'm currently using.
Morrisonic

United States of America

Return to Turntables and Tonearms