the home of the turntable

Technics sl1410: No sound

snap, crackle and pop

Technics sl1410: No sound

Postby reidar5 » 13 Sep 2017 18:15

Hello,

after having gotten it sent by post, there is no sound in my turntable anymore. I have checked all the cables going out of the tone arm and their solderings as well as the cable going out of the player to the amplifier.

I don't know much about turntables, but to me it looks like none of the cables going out of the tone arm are connected to any circuit board with electronics inside of the turntable. It looks like they go directly to the output RCA cable. So, maybe the problem lies for example in a bad soldering or a broken cable.

Can anyone help?

Best regards: Reidar
reidar5

Norway

Re: Technics sl1410: No sound

Postby ponytrekker » 14 Sep 2017 11:34

It might be a problem with matching your cartridge to your amp - what cartridge is fitted and what amp are you using? Photos might help as well.
ponytrekker

United Kingdom

Postby ponytrekker » 14 Sep 2017 11:35

You wouldn't expect to find electronics in the signal line inside the turntable unless it was fitted with a phono pre-amplifier.
ponytrekker

United Kingdom

Postby Van_Isle » 18 Sep 2017 13:18

It seems odd that you would lose both channels at the same time. I'd start by double-checking all connections.
From your description, it doesn't sound like you have a SL-1410 Mk2, which has a muting circuit that cuts out the signal while cueing. Those can often give issue.
Have you checked the cartridge headshell leads? Headshell securely fastened?
Other sources working ok on your amplifier / receiver? (you don't, for example, have a 'Tape Monitor' button pressed, do you?). If you are using an external phono pre-amplifier, is it getting power?
Other than a visual inspection, have you traced continuity section-by-section from headshell lead to RCA plug with a multi-meter? And that would include checking the cartridge as well.
Van_Isle
long player
long player
contributor

Canada

Return to Turntables and Tonearms