the home of the turntable

Sony PS-X50 Faint Crackling

snap, crackle and pop

Sony PS-X50 Faint Crackling

Postby cmoore7 » 03 Sep 2017 18:23

Hello!

I just got my hands on a Sony PS-X50 which had a Shure V15 III but the stylus has been broken. It was playing great until the incident. I replaced the cartridge with a Shure M97xE and now I have a constant faint crackling in the background when playing records. I've re-balanced the tonearm and have set it to the optimum settings for the cartridge. Once thing I noticed is that the cartridge hangs alot lower than the previous one. I raised the tone arm up so that it could slide over the record without hitting. Does anyone have any ideas why I would now have the faint crackling. I have been trying everything I can think of.

Thanks!

Charles
cmoore7

Canada

Re: Sony PS-X50 Faint Crackling

Postby Van_Isle » 03 Sep 2017 22:09

Dirty or worn out stylus on the M97xe? Old stock M97xe from time when there were QC issues with them? If it's new you could also have gotten a bad one. Have you added the required extra tracking force to compensate for the brush? Depending on what type of stylus profile was on the V15III and stylus wear, your M97xe could be riding in the groove at a different height and picking up surface noise as a result ... possibly from previous wear / damage on the records.

When you said "I raised the tone arm up so that it could slide over the record without hitting." does that mean that you adjusted the VTA or the tonearm lifter height? Although it would probably result more in skipping than 'crackling', I'm wondering if the lifter is too high and contacting the tonearm when the turntable is playing? On the flip-side, if you change VTA then you also have to adjust the arm lifter height (actually it's all part of the setup procedure ... see the owner's manual posted in the library).

Why not get a new stylus for the V15III? Here's a basic elliptical one: https://www.turntableneedles.com/VN35E- ... _1393.html Those are Japan-made and a bit of a step-up from some of the other aftermarket ones as they should have the tension-wire (tie-wire) construction as per the originals.
Van_Isle
long player
long player
contributor

Canada

Postby cmoore7 » 06 Sep 2017 05:39

Thanks for the reply. I did follow the manual, and I only raised the tonearm lifter to the max height. It's definitely not touching the tonearm while it plays because it retracts all the way down. I've adjusted the tracking from 1-2 and it makes no difference.

Thanks for the link for the needle, I'll give that a try.
cmoore7

Canada

Postby cmoore7 » 14 Sep 2017 03:05

So I purchase the new needle and still the same issue. This is what the faint sound is like in the background while music is playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jsbe_FciGo
cmoore7

Canada

Postby cmoore7 » 14 Sep 2017 03:21

I noticed when I lifted the record off there was insane static build up. How do I stop this?
cmoore7

Canada

Return to Turntables and Tonearms