the home of the turntable

Dual 1009 headshell - new or old stock

snap, crackle and pop

Dual 1009 headshell - new or old stock

Postby jasperv » 13 Aug 2017 15:48

Dear Dual lovers,

I'm looking for an extra headshell / cartridge holder for my Dual 1009 (that's the same thing, right?). Now I've understood they're not that easy to find in a good state. I've been looking on websites like ebay. I found one old stock from Germany: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-1009-Turnt ... 2430508464.
But I also found new ones that look a bit different, but should fit as well: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pats-Audio-012B ... SwFM1Zckto
Does anyone have experience with such new headshells? Are the originals likely to be better or would I do better just buying new one?
Also, As you can see on the pics in the links, the new ones look slightly different with little metal pins sticking out to click it in to the tone-arm, which makes me worry a bit. Would this really fit my dual 1009?

I'm looking forward to hear from you. Thanx a lot!
jasperv

Poland

Re: Dual 1009 headshell - new or old stock

Postby noisefreq » 13 Aug 2017 16:37

Hi jasperv, you might be better served posting this in the Dual forum.
I do know there are different cartridge sleds depending on the model of 1009.

Mine is the original that uses the first type pictured.
But the later models (1009F, 1009SK there's probably more...) use a completely different type, perhaps the second one pictured.
Know your exact model before you jump on something.
I do know $40 is not uncommon for such items. Old cartridge sleds may have the same problems yours already has.
The experts will know where to look.
just keep smiling
noisefreq

United States of America

Postby jasperv » 13 Aug 2017 17:04

Thanx for your reply Noisefreq. You are very right about the post's location. I though I'd posted it in the Dual group. I'll see if I can close this topic and open a new one on the dual forum.
jasperv

Poland

Postby jasperv » 13 Aug 2017 17:17

Hi again Noisefreq

Unfortunately I couldn't really finding an option to delete this post or to change the location, so I'll just continueahere.
Like you I have an original 1009 that uses the type in the first pic. Maybe you are right and the one on the second picture pits the other dual 1009 models. The headshell I have at the moment is working fine, but I would like an extra one so I can easily change my cartridge by just clicking another headshell on the tone-arm. They seem indeed to be a bit expensive. I'll try to contact the seller of the new one on ebay to find out if it fits my model. I was also wondering if there are any disadvantageous (mainly in the quality) in buying such a newly fabricated one, rather than one old stock. Ill keep my eyes out on these auctions sites and if someone knows a private seller selling them (preferably in Europe) please drop a post. thanx!
jasperv

Poland

Postby noisefreq » 13 Aug 2017 17:56

I've bought new sleds for my 1229 with no problems.
As long as it has the same flat metal spring clip prongs it should do fine.
I just haven't looked at buying a repo for my 1009.
just keep smiling
noisefreq

United States of America

Postby jasperv » 13 Aug 2017 20:00

Just got the following reply from the seller on ebay:
"..our 012B Cartridge Holder will fit the original Dual 1009 model turntable. In our design we replaced the flat metal contact strips with spring-loaded gold plated pins."
Sounds good to me :)
In that case I think I'll just get a new one rather than waiting for a good and affordable old stock to appear on one of these auction websites.
jasperv

Poland

Postby jasperv » 20 Aug 2017 20:50

noisefreq wrote:I've bought new sleds for my 1229 with no problems.
As long as it has the same flat metal spring clip prongs it should do fine.
I just haven't looked at buying a repo for my 1009.

Hi Noisefreq,

I just found an affordable old headshell for my dual on ebay. The flat metal spring clips seem a bit rusty. I was wondering if you have any idea this could have an impact on the sound quality?
I guess not, but just wanted to check with someone before buying.
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/152666090082?ul_noapp=true

thanx!
jasperv

Poland

Postby nat » 21 Aug 2017 01:42

Cleaning them with a pencil eraser was/is a standard response to such problems. An application of DeOxit might also help preserve the surface.
nat
long player
long player
contributor

Postby noisefreq » 21 Aug 2017 15:52

^^^^^This.
just keep smiling
noisefreq

United States of America

Postby 62vauxhall » 22 Aug 2017 02:31

Very coincidental. I'm waiting for that same 012B headshell from that same vendor. I did not like the prospect of an original headshell's being worn out and sloppy fitting. They are 50 plus years old after all. Plus the cartridge wires would likely be fragile. I got sold after learning those replicas have pins instead of strips so do not anticipate any oxidization caused hum. The little I read review wise on this new sled was positive although it reportedly could need to be modified for some modern cartridges. Mine are all old so hopefully just a bolt on job.

My original cartridge carrier still has the circa 1964 Empire installed and it's staying put. The intention is putting a Stanton 681EE on the new one. That Empire has quite a high output voltage.

I have several Duals including a newer 1009F. I'm not so analytical or critical to care what sounds better than what but I consider myself fortunate to have found one of the original 1009's. The lack of antiskate concerns me not one bit, I don't use that feature anyway.

Must stop now, I'm rambling.
62vauxhall

Postby Spinner45 » 22 Aug 2017 03:04

Pat Leaver's new style carriers are a fine replacement.
I know, I've installed them, with no problems.
Spinner45

United States of America

Postby jasperv » 22 Aug 2017 19:50

Thanx for your replies 62vauxhall and Spinner45,

I ordered the old head shell in the end. I just hope for the best..
Good to hear those new style carriers from Pat leaver seem to be working well. I was not so sure if the pins instead of the flat clips would be a disadvantage or not. Maybe I'll still get one at some point. First I'll try out the one I ordered.

62vauxhall,

I own the original Dual 1009. I also love it and don't care about the anti-skate either. My mother bought a really fine looking 1019 a few weeks ago with an empire cartridge and stylus. I haven't been able to see it yet though, only on skype :)
My Dual 1009 has a Shure M75 cartridge and I'm looking for an update. I'm thinking of a Shure M97XE, since Ive read many positive things about it. You want to use the Stanton for your dual 1009F? May I ask you why this one in particular? I'm not too familiar yet with all the available cartridges and styli, so I'm just looking for some different opinions.

thanx!
jasperv

Poland

Postby 62vauxhall » 23 Aug 2017 00:45

Hope this does not get confusing. By "new one" I was referring to the headshell.

It's actually the original 1009 I want to put a 681EE on. The 1009F already has a Stanton - a 500 variant called a MK V. For that one I have an OEM elliptical stylus that tracks at 3 grams plus an OEM 78 stylus that tracks at 5 grams.

For the older 1009, I'll be trying out the 681 just to have an alternative to the 10mv Empire 880 P which is pretty frick'n loud. I am not an exclusive Stanton fan but I do believe thier short 'n' stubby cantilevers are better suited to heavier tracking forces. Which may employed from time to time as I also have a 78 stylus for the 681.
I have 6 or 8 vintage MOR cartridges with new needles I can play around with. It's too bad those replicated sleds cost as much as they do, it would be cool to have another one or two.

In my arsenal are Shure. M93E's, M91ED's an M75 an M95, an M70, an M99, an M92 along with another one or two plus an Empire 2000, ADC QLM and a few Japanese cartridges but I never cared much for those. Japanese speakers either come to think about it.
62vauxhall

Postby 62vauxhall » 06 Sep 2017 12:58

I received the reproduction Dual headshell a week ago and absolutely no complaints about the product. It is very nicely made and fits well so can I can recommend the product.

My only bitch is the landed cost.

Being in Canada and close to the border, I usually have things I buy from US vendors (as some don't ship to Canada) sent to a depot in a town across the border I can get to in 45 minutes. The cost to have it shipped to my home address was $7 more but I figured I'd burn that much in fuel making the round trip, so I opted to have it sent to my home address. I was not expecting them to do so but Canada Post nailed me for $16 duty so the total outlay including currency difference was $76 Canadian.

Ironically, just this past Saturday, one week after receiving that new headshell, I see a just placed ad in Craigslist for a complete early Dual 1009, including headshell (and a Shure M7-N21D cartridge) for $10.

Despite that I do not need nor have have the space for a second 1009, I could not ignore that. But the chances of me ordering a spare headshell for this one are zero.
62vauxhall

Postby Vinylfreak86 » 06 Sep 2017 13:15

New headshells are in majority cases good, but it is always better to buy one from established brand (nowadays reseller of chinese goods) like just unknown thing. In the past I bought one headshell, where you could her the noise in the speakers when you touched it. :)
Vinylfreak86

Slovenia

Next

Return to Turntables and Tonearms