the home of the turntable

No or limited sound from one speaker Technics SLD202

snap, crackle and pop

No or limited sound from one speaker Technics SLD202

Postby Hodgkijay » 12 Aug 2017 00:51

So I get limited or no sound from one speaker from my SLD202. If I swap the RCA cables over that speaker kicks into life and the other goes dull. I replaced and resoldered the RCA cables but still have the same issue?

Could it possibly be something to do with the cartridge/tonearm? Dont have a lot of experience with turntables so any advice is helpful.

Cheers.
Hodgkijay

New Zealand

Re: No or limited sound from one speaker Technics SLD202

Postby Copperhead » 12 Aug 2017 01:20

Hodgkijay wrote:So I get limited or no sound from one speaker from my SLD202. If I swap the RCA cables over that speaker kicks into life and the other goes dull. I replaced and resoldered the RCA cables but still have the same issue?

Could it possibly be something to do with the cartridge/tonearm? Dont have a lot of experience with turntables so any advice is helpful.

Cheers.

Slip the cartridge tags off the cartridge give them a clean and squeeze them a bit, maybe they are a bit oxidized or loose. Give the headshell connector pins, and the connector in the tonearm as well, a good clean..
Heavily modified Crosley, Armstrad amplifier and two large terrapins.
Copperhead
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby SpeakerMania » 12 Aug 2017 03:23

Cartridges and tonearms seldom develop problems other than loose connections and bad stylii, so my guess is that you have issues with the RCA cables, either poor continuity or contacts. I would buy a new set of cables myself and avoid the revolving door approach to finding the problem. Take the simplest route to a cure first, try to avoid questioning every possibility, it can become frustrating and expensive very quickly. Hope the fix is easy! :D
If you aren't part of the solution,
then you are part of the problem.
SpeakerMania

Canada

Postby Hodgkijay » 13 Aug 2017 01:46

Nailed it Copperhead. Cheers.
Hodgkijay

New Zealand

Postby vinyl master » 13 Aug 2017 05:57

Glad to see it worked out, Hodgkijay... =D> The problem of sound going in and out has a lot to do with those headshell connections and how clean they are...The eraser trick to clean the wires has been mentioned here a few times before, too!

Just curious, but I was wondering how you like your SL-D202? :-k

I got one of these bad boys myself recently, my first direct drive, pictured here...

...and have bought an original Technics headshell for it, so I can mount just about cartridge from 3.5 grams to 7.5 grams with the headshell and accessory shell weight...With an auxiliary weight (Part no. SFPWG17202), I can use any cartridge up to 10.5 grams, if I so desire!

It does give me options, but what I really wanted to try (and what I thought seemed a perfect match for this table and IT IS!) was this great old-school Concorde STD cartridge from the days when the Concordes were more for hi-fi use than for DJ use...

They look good together, don't they?

Member andybeau sent me a spare OM10 to try on it...

...and japiroelofs helped me to obtain this original Tonar STD stylus recently...

I will probably have to give both some equal playing time for a while to really get a feel for their sound and compare the two...Still, some great additions to the collection!

Sooo...I have two questions for you, Hodgkijay...1. Do you have any pictures of your 202 you could share? and 2. What cartridge-and-stylus combo are you using on yours? :-k

I'm curious to know more about it... :D
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Return to Turntables and Tonearms