the home of the turntable

Dual 1219 speed control switch assembly

snap, crackle and pop

Dual 1219 speed control switch assembly

Postby Jazzkatt70 » 16 Jul 2017 23:30

dual 1219.jpg
underside of dual 1219 speed control switch
Has anyone opened one of the speed switch assemblies to clean and lubricate? Mine felt gummed up and I was sure NOT to force anything. Upon closer inspection I see dark amber colored / old hardened grease inside the clear plastic housing. Is disassembly best approach. Or is there some other way to free it up?
Jazzkatt70

United States of America

Re: Dual 1219 speed control switch assembly

Postby musicmn » 17 Jul 2017 02:34

Hi, IMO it's best not to disassemble these speed controls unless you really know them well or want a huge headache trying to get it back together again. What I do is use some very long q tips soaked in alcohol and work that into and around the speed shift parts. I try to remove as much of the old grease as possible. Then using the q tips I work in fresh grease I like to use a grease called super lube in them. It seems to be able to loosen the parts up better then lithium grease does. As I work the fresh grease into the parts, I gently work the shift lever through the entire range of motion. Be very careful at first you don't want to break the the shift lever it self. I have done this successfully on a bunch of dual turntables. But on some I did have it take the shift lever a part becsuse the lever was stuck so bad. If you need to take it a part make sure you take a lot of pictures before you do so. If you can't get super lube then use a good quality lithium grease. I hope this helps and good luck.
musicmn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby Jazzkatt70 » 17 Jul 2017 14:42

I'm not at all familiar with these so I'll leave it be. I've taken pictures of the switch but this table is too nice for me to trust my skills on (which are very minimal) ha! I don't have very long q-tips but i have some pipe cleaners lying around which i could use to apply the iso-alcohol. I'll continue to gently work the switch when I do. This one is really gummed up as it has been sitting a long while. I am the second owner.
Jazzkatt70

United States of America

Postby FFT » 30 Jul 2017 05:43

Jazzkatt70 - I just repaired mine; it's not too bad if you take your time and mind the order in which things are to be disassembled/assembled. Luckily, if yours is like mine, the only problem is the switch lever (number 103 in the service manual) pivot lube gets stiff and it isn't able to slide up/down for different RPM settings which doesn't require any disassembly at all.

I ended up taking the whole thing apart to discover that, but again it isn't necessary to disassemble for lubrication of this particular shaft. I put a drop of Tri-Flow on the end of a screwdriver, dabbed the droplet on the visible portion of the shaft and worked it in gently. Fixed!

If you do decide to take it apart then the only tricky part is the spring clip underneath the pitch control knob. It comes off with patience and a screwdriver, but is at risk of flying across the room if you're not prepared for it.

Good Luck!
FFT

United States of America

Postby Jazzkatt70 » 30 Jul 2017 19:36

Sounds promising. I have not disassembled the switch for fear of getting in over my head. I had been using iso-alcohol and q-tips around the switch as well as an alcohol soaked pipe cleaner. However, I will try your suggestion as I did notice a bit more range of motion on the switch. Thanks a bunch.
Jazzkatt70

United States of America

Return to Turntables and Tonearms