the home of the turntable

Goldring GL78

snap, crackle and pop

Goldring GL78

Postby Stevelocks3 » 13 Jul 2017 15:13

I was given this deck/arm some years ago; the cartridge fitted is a Shure M55Ee; I have just looked it over.The headshell is slightly tilted and a thin spacer ring has been fitted on one side above the cartridge probably to correct the tilt but it is still not vertical. When I remove the headshell the 4 pinholes are also tilted. Can I correct this or do I just fit another spacer? Everything else looks ok.
Stevelocks3

England

Re: Goldring GL78

Postby Copperhead » 13 Jul 2017 22:21

Stevelocks3 wrote:I was given this deck/arm some years ago; the cartridge fitted is a Shure M55Ee; I have just looked it over.The headshell is slightly tilted and a thin spacer ring has been fitted on one side above the cartridge probably to correct the tilt but it is still not vertical. When I remove the headshell the 4 pinholes are also tilted. Can I correct this or do I just fit another spacer? Everything else looks ok.

The headshell has slightly rotated on the connector, quite a common problem due to the way Lenco coupled both parts by crimping.

Try inserting the headhell in the arm and try rotating it back. If it works, add some glue to stop it rotating again. If it doesn't work, add the spacer.
Heavily modified Crosley, Armstrad amplifier and two large terrapins.
Copperhead
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby Stevelocks3 » 17 Jul 2017 13:58

Thanks for advice. I could not shift the arm tube end piece as you suggested, using moderate force to twist the headshell and holding the main tube. I have added another spacer to correct a tilt of 2mm, which seems surprising. I have checked another GL78 fitted to an integral unit ST 8000 and it looks similarly tilted! I can't see anything on the database about this unit and don't have any paperwork. You may have some more info. It is fitted with a G850 cartridge.
Stevelocks3

England

Postby Copperhead » 17 Jul 2017 14:07

Stevelocks3 wrote:Thanks for advice. I could not shift the arm tube end piece as you suggested, using moderate force to twist the headshell and holding the main tube. I have added another spacer to correct a tilt of 2mm, which seems surprising. I have checked another GL78 fitted to an integral unit ST 8000 and it looks similarly tilted! I can't see anything on the database about this unit and don't have any paperwork. You may have some more info. It is fitted with a G850 cartridge.

Maybe I have misunderstood. Is the arm tube tilted or is it the headshell? The stamped metal headshell sometimes twists on the connector, this can be corrected by twisting back or adding the spacer.

If the arm tube is tilted, this means the vee blocks (small rubber vees the arm pivots on) have rotted and they will need to be replaced.

Adding the spacer, if the bearings need replacing, will do nothing to solve the issue. The arm's knife edges will keep sinking into the perished rubber.
Copperhead
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby Stevelocks3 » 17 Jul 2017 19:27

Thanks again for your helpful response and I have looked again carefully at both arms. On the original free-standing GL78, with the headshell removed, the four pin sockets appear rotated clockwise and the outrider weight adjuster arm sags below horizontal. I can lift it up so that the arm tube looks correctly aligned. This suggests as you say that the support has weakened. What can be done about this? is it possible for me to remedy the problem? Perhaps surprisingly the arm/cartridge seems still to function well on an LP.
On the second deck with the ST8000 the arm tube and sockets look fine. The connector carrying the pins which is crimped into the headshell is just off vertical but this is a very slight misalignment viewed over the turntable.
Stevelocks3

England

Postby Copperhead » 17 Jul 2017 20:05

Stevelocks3 wrote:I can lift it up so that the arm tube looks correctly aligned. This suggests as you say that the support has weakened. What can be done about this? is it possible for me to remedy the problem? Perhaps surprisingly the arm/cartridge seems still to function well on an LP.

You are welcome. The pivots for the vertical plane are made of rubber and replaceable. The original ones are nearly always perished.

Look behind the pivot assembly, on the plastic silver cap the wand sits in, there is a screw holding a half moon shaped washer. If you remove the screw you will be able to lift the cap off and see the vee blocks. Take care not to pull it too high, there is an earth wire which if disconnected is a pain to fix.

In the photo you will see the knife edges and the vee blocks they sit in. Please disregard the sweet wrapping looking stuff wrapped around the knife edges. I have no idea what it is.

What you can see in the photo are the white rubber bits, these are the bits needing replacing. You can buy replacement vee blocks on ebay.

As a footnote, I would not use the arm as it is. There is no way to stabilize azimuth, the spacers will not work for long.

Copperhead
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby Stevelocks3 » 17 Jul 2017 21:33

Excellent. I have ordered the v blocks and will let you know how I get on. £24 the pair and seem to be high spec.
Stevelocks3

England

Return to Turntables and Tonearms