the home of the turntable

Looking for a new turntable with a twist

snap, crackle and pop

Re: Looking for a new turntable with a twist

Postby cafe latte » 17 Jul 2017 04:49

JoeE SP9 wrote:Even when a poster states they want a NEW turntable there are always those who always suggest their favorite used "whatever". Some people never pay any attention to what is actually posted.

New means new. It doesn't mean whatever your favorite used/vintage whatever is. What part of new is hard to understand?

Is it so hard to be polite?
Many come here asking about buying a new turntable and end up after advice buying used. Many don't know what they want which is why they come here in the first place. Myself and others always give used options when someone has a lowish budget and many end up with a far better turntable due to such advice and end up with a much better vinyl experience than they otherwise would have.
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby rnshwa16 » 17 Jul 2017 06:15

wolfie62 wrote:Never owned a Thorens. Can't remember ever hearing anything bad about them. Made in Switzerland? My money would be to wait and buy in Switzerland. Thorens. I'm sure many used units to be had for a fair price. You can always sell it if you return to the States...or keep it as a souvenir!

When in Switzerland....do as the Swiss do! :shock:

Or put another way, ....like my brother said when he moved to Germany, "I got rid of the Toyota and bought a Porsche....!" =D>

First, beware that the Thorens of today is not that of yesterday, and may not even be made in Switzerland or (like the TD 145 II I recently sold) Germany.

And I wonder if your brother bought that Porsche back when their prices were closer to earth. Back in high school, we guys would admire the shop teacher's 912, then the 911 that replaced it the following year. Of course, that was back when a 911 could be had for about $6,000.
rnshwa16

United States of America

Postby JoeE SP9 » 17 Jul 2017 14:15

cafe latte wrote:
JoeE SP9 wrote:Even when a poster states they want a NEW turntable there are always those who always suggest their favorite used "whatever". Some people never pay any attention to what is actually posted.

New means new. It doesn't mean whatever your favorite used/vintage whatever is. What part of new is hard to understand?

Many come here asking about buying a new turntable and end up after advice buying used. Many don't know what they want which is why they come here in the first place. Myself and others always give used options when someone has a lowish budget and many end up with a far better turntable due to such advice and end up with a much better vinyl experience than they otherwise would have.
Chris

It's not about being polite or impolite.

At what budget point do you stop suggesting used?

There are a number of decent new TT's within the OP's stated budget. For those who are severely budget restricted a used TT is usually a better buy. Someone willing to spend $750 on a new TT should be advised about what they asked for. The OP did specifically say new.

Someone buying their first TT usually isn't interested in rebuilding/refurbishing. Many of the CL listed TT's are in poor condition. In addition packing and shipping of budget grade TT's is usually poorly done. That means that pickup after a demo is the only way I'd suggest purchasing used.

If someone posts about buying an AT120LP I'm all for suggesting a vintage/used TT as a much better buy. Someone spending up to $750 is a completely different thing.
JoeE SP9
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby cafe latte » 17 Jul 2017 21:32

JoeE SP9 wrote:
cafe latte wrote:

Chris

It's not about being polite or impolite.

At what budget point do you stop suggesting used?

There are a number of decent new TT's within the OP's stated budget. For those who are severely budget restricted a used TT is usually a better buy. Someone willing to spend $750 on a new TT should be advised about what they asked for. The OP did specifically say new.

Someone buying their first TT usually isn't interested in rebuilding/refurbishing. Many of the CL listed TT's are in poor condition. In addition packing and shipping of budget grade TT's is usually poorly done. That means that pickup after a demo is the only way I'd suggest purchasing used.

If someone posts about buying an AT120LP I'm all for suggesting a vintage/used TT as a much better buy. Someone spending up to $750 is a completely different thing.

You were rude, but ok we move on..
750 dolllars is not that much for a new turntable and for that money you are not going to get something really decent. I actually a few years back now spent just over 1k for a Project rpm 6.1sb and the motor died just out of warranty so new does not mean trouble free. Also I feel it is misleading to suggest that all that is used is either junk or going to need a resto. I have been mainly buying used for over 25 years and in all that time I had a Lenco die which was my fault for taking it out of its case when i was in my teens. I also with both eyes open got for free a basket case Commonweath which did need a resto, but the rest many many most second hand worked perfectly needing no reso or work. Turntables are very simple things with little to go wrong which is why few have trouble buying used and why I suggest it. 750 dollar will buy an ok new turntable but it wont last your lif time. 750 dollars carefully spent can buy you a really nice turntable that you could pass onto your kids. 2k budget new starts to get decent so my reason for this budget for suggesting used.
You did though raise a very important point and that is turntables and post. Collect if you can in person, that way you can check it out properly yourself. I have bought two turntables unseen and they were posted to me, both from very good sellers and both arrived perfect. One travelled half way round the world! That said some dont know how to pack a turntable and it is common for turntables to get smashed in the post.
I always over the years bought turntables face to face anyway.
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby DanM » 18 Jul 2017 03:44

wolfie62 wrote:Every time I put on Chubby Checker.....my turntable has a twist.

Well played!!

Boy, I started a bit of a fight here, didn't I? To be fair, I said I was looking for a new turntable... I never said it had to be brand new. I am leery about buying one used though. You never know how they might have been abused in the past.

The 50-60hz issue is not one that I have considered... I'll keep that in mind.

If this move happens, I will definitely buy one over there. That will delay the necessary parts swap by a few years. Two kids and a third on the way means that budgets are tight and that SWMBO will get annoyed quickly if I spend more than she approved.

Thorens... I'll have to look them up. Maybe they have a factory outlet in Switzerland?

BTW. I currently have a Harmon Kardon HK720. A nice, old machine with a grace tone arm. However, it has seen better days.
DanM

United States of America

Postby cafe latte » 18 Jul 2017 08:34

One good thing about the Technics I mentioned is many have a voltage switch and all don't have an issue with 50 or 60 Hz. Re being abused as long as they are actually working the only thing that could be damaged from abuse is the main bearing which is 25 bucks and the arm which does not exactly cost the earth either. Motor halves dont touch so they dont wear out and with Technics all the parts are readily available cheaply unlike many other turntables. They don't cost the earth to buy, cheap to fix,cheap and easy to mod and plentiful so it should be easy to get a good one. If they look battered avoid, but if clean and unmarked they will be fine.
Google Kabusa for Info and Technics mods and Google general reviews and Technics mods.
If you consider used this is how I would go but there are so many options, main issue though for most will be the 50 60 Hz issue
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Previous

Return to Turntables and Tonearms