the home of the turntable

Looking for a new turntable with a twist

snap, crackle and pop

Looking for a new turntable with a twist

Postby DanM » 13 Jul 2017 02:48

Hi there!

I am looking to buy a new turntable with a budget of $500-750 range... Here is the twist. I might be moving to Switzerland by the end of the year. I will buy the turntable there so I don't have to worry about losing the power supply. Are there any turntables out there in my price range with an external power supply that can be swapped out when I return? I was thinking of a Rega Planar, but will entertain any options out there.

Thanks!
DanM

United States of America

Re: Looking for a new turntable with a twist

Postby cafe latte » 13 Jul 2017 04:04

DanM wrote:Hi there!

I am looking to buy a new turntable with a budget of $500-750 range... Here is the twist. I might be moving to Switzerland by the end of the year. I will buy the turntable there so I don't have to worry about losing the power supply. Are there any turntables out there in my price range with an external power supply that can be swapped out when I return? I was thinking of a Rega Planar, but will entertain any options out there.

Thanks!

Used, good condition Technics sl1200mk2 or 1210mk2 international version has switchable voltage. Replace the arm or add a Kab damper (oil damping) to the original arm and you will be in vinyl heaven. Go a bit further and add a Kab external psu with strobe disable and it get very special indeed, the Kab psu will work abroad too. Then if you wish you can get isolation feet platters, different bearings the list goes on and on, but I never found the need they rock with just the damper and psu. I have 5 turntables in all, but the humble Technics gets the most use..
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby DeepEnd » 13 Jul 2017 11:29

The problem is not just the voltage (230 vs 110) but the frequency (50 vs 60 Hz). Many decks, including the Rega's up the the "3" use synchronous motors. With these the speed of rotation is dependant on the frequency so a deck designed for 50Hz will rotate too fast(33 rpm becomes almost 40rpm) but this can be corrected.

So as a result you can
1. Buy a deck that generates the motor frequency itself. examples Project "DC" models, Direct Drive models or RP6 etc. - but may need a PSU swap too.
2 Change both the PSU and pulley when you return to the USA
3 On a Rega add a TT-PSU on return to USA (but tell them it's for a 50Hz model) this will come with the Correct PSU as well.

WARNING I MAY BE BIASED

Personally I would buy the new Planar 3 and then add a TT-PSU on return as this gives you a good deck and a further nice upgrade at some future point.
If funds on return are tight you can still just change the PSU and pulley which are available at reasonable cost.
(LP) Rega Planar 3/RB300/A&R-P78+FG2 (CD)Rega Planet-2000, (Amp) Musical Fidelity A3.2, (Speakers) Rega RS3
DeepEnd
contributor

United Kingdom

Postby cafe latte » 13 Jul 2017 11:59

Re post above the Technics works with 50 or 60 hz but not all are switchable, but all can be used with a step down if needed or an external psu which is an up grade anyway.
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby tim_bissell » 14 Jul 2017 23:40

Funk firm turntables are DC powered with external (wall wart) PSUs -so all you need to do is find a similar 110V AC / 9 (or 12) VDC wall wart when you move back to the US. The Gett! is in your price range (new) , or maybe a used Flamenca or (possibly) LSD. Both upgradeable with mats, isolating feet etc. and they use Rega geometry. I have an LSD and it sounds excellent
tim_bissell
contributor

United Kingdom

Postby wolfie62 » 15 Jul 2017 05:10

Every time I put on Chubby Checker.....my turntable has a twist.

Seriously, my Denon DP45F is international, 50 or 60 Hz, just turn the little pot under the platter. It has to convert all voltages to DC to power the internal circuitry, including motor. I'm guessing there are others. But...the plug may be different.
Often....invention is the mother of necessity.
wolfie62

United States of America

Postby VinyldechezPierre » 15 Jul 2017 12:16

wolfie62 wrote:Every time I put on Chubby Checker.....my turntable has a twist

:lol:

So does mine.

But more seriously, TTs with 50 or 60 Hz possibility are very common.
VinyldechezPierre

France

Postby raphaelmabo » 15 Jul 2017 17:46

Since you are moving to Switzerland you must of course buy turntable from the classic swiss company Thorens. :) The TD203 for example, with external PSU and a 12 V DC-motor, I believe it simply needs a swapping of the PSU cater for 110 volt mains instead of 230 volt in Europe. Speed is electronically controlled and can be adjusted by screws underneath the plinth. A lovely table, I have it myself. The tonearm is made in Switzerland, but the actual turntable is not (this particular turntable is made in Czech as the TD295, other Thorens are made in Germany). I use mine with a swiss Benz Micro cartridge. :) Please note that both Thorens turntables and Benz Micro cartridges has much lower prices in Europe than in the US.
() Thorens TD 203, TP82 with Benz Micro MC Silver, Thorens MM02
() Marantz CD63 KI Signature, Pioneer A575, Alchemist TS-1D
() Alchemist Nexus, Alchemist Axiom
() Infinity Reference 50, ALR Jordan Entry 2M
raphaelmabo

Sweden

Postby fscl » 15 Jul 2017 19:38

+1 rmabo

If you have some time and can look for a vintage Thorens Deck, ie TD-280, etc.... it will fill the bill.

Don't know where you are here in the US, however, it's tag, moving, estate sale season.. and lots of turntables looking for re(ab)use and recycle...... :) =D>

Good luck and welcome to VE...... :)

Fred
Music is Everything....Except Predictable....Music Discovery Starts Here.....WFUV Member
fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby Nigel Gomez » 15 Jul 2017 22:16

cafe latte wrote:

Thanks!

Used, good condition Technics sl1200mk2 or 1210mk2 international version has switchable voltage. Replace the arm or add a Kab damper (oil damping) to the original arm and you will be in vinyl heaven. Go a bit further and add a Kab external psu with strobe disable and it get very special indeed, the Kab psu will work abroad too. Then if you wish you can get isolation feet platters, different bearings the list goes on and on, but I never found the need they rock with just the damper and psu. I have 5 turntables in all, but the humble Technics gets the most use..
Chris

Do you ever recommend anything but Technics?The guy clearly said he wanted a 'new turntable'.

For 500 TO 700 bucks you can get a Rega 2,Project Espirit or Audio Technica LP 5.
Man Cave:Pro Ject Xpression Carbon Classic/Ortofon 2M BLUE/Pro Ject Phonobox S/Audioengine A5+ Bookshelf Speakers/Audioengine S8 Subwoofer
Living Room: Technics SL 210/ M55E(JICO stylus)/Fisher RS 616 Receiver/TEAC V66C Cassette Deck/Onkyo C 7030 CD Player/Soma three way Floor speakers
Nigel Gomez

Trinidad Tobago

Postby wolfie62 » 15 Jul 2017 22:58

Never owned a Thorens. Can't remember ever hearing anything bad about them. Made in Switzerland? My money would be to wait and buy in Switzerland. Thorens. I'm sure many used units to be had for a fair price. You can always sell it if you return to the States...or keep it as a souvenir!

When in Switzerland....do as the Swiss do! :shock:

Or put another way, ....like my brother said when he moved to Germany, "I got rid of the Toyota and bought a Porsche....!" =D>
Often....invention is the mother of necessity.
wolfie62

United States of America

Postby antennaguru » 16 Jul 2017 04:27

^^^THIS

If you're moving to Switzerland just wait until you get there to buy your new turntable, and it will be one less thing that the movers/shippers break to bits. Plus, it will give you the opportunity to start a retail relationship with a local audio store in your new country!
I have enjoyed playing a large collection of vinyl records for several decades.
antennaguru

United States of America

Postby cafe latte » 16 Jul 2017 10:36

Nigel Gomez wrote:
cafe latte wrote:

Thanks!

Chris

Do you ever recommend anything but Technics?The guy clearly said he wanted a 'new turntable'.

For 500 TO 700 bucks you can get a Rega 2,Project Espirit or Audio Technica LP 5.

Yes I do search my posts, but for 500-700 bucks best turntables are used direct drive idler or belt. Literally any decent turntable used in this price bracket will be way better than new. New for this money is not that good really. I do recommend Technics lightly modded sl12100mk2 because for this budget they are hard to beat. Also if later you want to upgrade further replacing the arm on a Technics takes them to another level again. Few turntables are so future proof in this respect. Naysayers re Technics normally have not heard them, or have heard them stock or without Kab damper or decent arm. Some just love to hate them.. I have 5 turntables, belt idler and direct drive and over the years I have had more turntables than i can remember. I recommend Technics because they are very very good indeed. My listening room is 9mx8m with very decent gear and a large selection of carts some really really decent. With this room and the gear I have all my turntables get the best chance sing yet the Technics come out on top. That is why I recommend Technics.. They sound ok stock, they sound amazing with the right light mods and hi end with a few more. They dont look hifi (many peoples problem with them) and they dont cost hi end which is most peoples problem with them. I listen to music which is why I like them..
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby Nigel Gomez » 16 Jul 2017 12:56

The guy clearly said he wanted a new turntable.Some people don't want to buy other people's used stuff.I have a Technics but you don't see me recommending them if someone wants a new turntable specifically.

This is in his price range and it's new.....

https://www.amazon.com/Thorens-TD-170-1 ... ds=thorens
Man Cave:Pro Ject Xpression Carbon Classic/Ortofon 2M BLUE/Pro Ject Phonobox S/Audioengine A5+ Bookshelf Speakers/Audioengine S8 Subwoofer
Living Room: Technics SL 210/ M55E(JICO stylus)/Fisher RS 616 Receiver/TEAC V66C Cassette Deck/Onkyo C 7030 CD Player/Soma three way Floor speakers
Nigel Gomez

Trinidad Tobago

Postby JoeE SP9 » 16 Jul 2017 16:58

Even when a poster states they want a NEW turntable there are always those who always suggest their favorite used "whatever". Some people never pay any attention to what is actually posted.

New means new. It doesn't mean whatever your favorite used/vintage whatever is. What part of new is hard to understand?
ARC SP9, HW19, RB300, Sumiko Blackbird: Front: Magnepan 1.7, 2 x 12" TL subs 2 bridged Crown XLS 402, 2 modified Dyna MK-III's. DBX-223XS, Behringer DSP1124P, rear: Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX-2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545
JoeE SP9
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Next

Return to Turntables and Tonearms