the home of the turntable

Up-grading RCAs on a SL-Q2?

snap, crackle and pop

Up-grading RCAs on a SL-Q2?

Postby levman0545 » 19 Jun 2017 20:38

I'm trying to upgrade the standard RCA cables on my SL-Q2 and have a question about the tonearm wires located right below the RCA solders.

Can these tonearm wires be re-soldered easily back to their board by simply heating the solder and pushing the wire into the hot solder?

These wires are the thinnest I have ever seen and I noticed that my old SL-Q3(Used for practice) has a piece of tape over the solder points and the tonearm wires.

This can easily pull off the tonearm wiring from their solder points when the tape is peeled back for access to the RCA soldering points.

I need to upgrade my RCA's but unless I can get a rouge tonearm wire that breaks free easily soldered back it's too risky to peal back the tape.

Please anyone that has done this upgrade please give me some feedback.
Thanks, Steven Level
levman0545

United States of America

Re: Up-grading RCAs on a SL-Q2?

Postby musicmn » 19 Jun 2017 21:11

Hi, are you just upgrading the RCA cables or are you having trouble with them ? The reason I ask is that it's easier to just replace the RCA ends if they are the problem. You can check if they have good continuity with a digital volt meter by setting the meter to 2000ohms and checking from the solder point inside the turntable to each rca end. If you find that one or both ends are bad cut them off. Then strip back the coating to expose new wire and check them again with the meter. If the new wires on each cable have good continuity then pick up some new gold platted RCA ends and solder them on then you should be good to go. Now if you are upgrading the RCA cables and need to remove that tape. Use a needle nose pliers or tweezers to hold the wire as you lift the tape off. Warming the tape with a hair drier also helps to release the wires from the goo on the tape. If by chance you break a wire use a lighter to burn the coating off the tonearm wire. Then use your finger nails to strip off the burnt coating and expose new shiny wire. To solder it back onto the small circuit board place wire on top of the solder joint. Then place the hot soldering iron tip on both the wire and joint. The wire needs to as hot as the solder for it to stay in the solder. It will melt pretty fast depending on how hot your iron is so be ready, once the solder melts the wire should go down inside of it and then remove the iron and hold the wire while the solder cools. You can then use a digital volt meter to check each wire from the end of the tonearm to the solder joint if your worried about having good continuity. I hope something here helps.
musicmn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby analogaudio » 19 Jun 2017 23:20

Technics used good quality cables. Provided there is no damage and the connections are reliable (no trouble with loss of sound intermittently) then replacing the cables is unlikely to achieve very much except the feeling of having customized the unit. If the task is challenging I would leave well alone.
Ted

Technics SL1600mk2, Ortofon VMS30, modified TEAC AH500 as a preamp, Bryston 4B ST amp, Harbeth M40 speakers, all making musical magic :-)
analogaudio
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby JDJX » 20 Jun 2017 14:32

Keep in mind that the average output of a MM cartridge is only about .003 of a volt.
"Thick" wire is commonly used for durability and for appearances sake.

Consider how thin the tone arm wires are. :)

With any (quality) TT......
If necessary, replace the RCA plugs of course.
If it really "spins your platter:, replace the whole cable. :D
*Thorens 165 with M97xE
*Lounge Audio phono pre
*NAD C-350 amp
JDJX
long player
long player

Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

United States of America

Return to Turntables and Tonearms