the home of the turntable

Looking to buy a Sony PS-5011 and need help

snap, crackle and pop

Looking to buy a Sony PS-5011 and need help

Postby Solist » 19 Jun 2017 14:43

I was wasting some time on the internet when I found this Sony turntable for sale. I am planning to go and take a look at it but then I noticed that there is something wrong with the tonearm. The weight it looks like its bent or broken, or maybe just not mounted properly? . Now I am wondering if this is an easy repair or should I pass on it. Its selling for cheap so I am wondering if its worth the time.
Attachments
GRAMOFON-SONY-_59425dd5b34be.jpg
GRAMOFON-SONY-_59425dd5b34be.jpg (45.08 KiB) Viewed 26 times
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." - Nietzsche
Solist

Slovenia

Re: Looking to buy a Sony PS-5011 and need help

Postby musicmn » 19 Jun 2017 21:55

It's hard to to tell from the picture but it looks like the counter weight stub is still attached. I guess you will have to do a close inspection of the stub to find out whats going on. On a lot of tonearms there is a small rubber piece between the stub and the tonearm it self. This is for isolation purposes. If that rubber piece is fatigued from age it will cause the stub to sag. It can be fixed my replacing the rubber piece with something new. Most likely you will need to fabricate something to fix it because there are no new parts available from Sony for this turntable. If the rest of the turntable works and it only looks like the rubber piece has failed on the stub it might be worth picking the turntable up for the right price. I hope this helps.
musicmn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Re: Looking to buy a Sony PS-5011 and need help

Postby Solist » 19 Jun 2017 22:24

I've looked for the counterweight stub repair. It looks like its a pretty common problem with these tonearms. The v-block costs about 20 bucks which sucks, since its probably worn out.. I've read also that it's a rebranded Goldring Lenco b55 (light platter) with a metal idler and a L75 tonearm. Its selling for really dirt cheap, so cheap that the fuel to get to there and back would cost me more.. thats "the problem". I will sleep over it and see what happens.

Anyway, were the Lenco b55 regarded as good turntables or not so good? I am currently using an Elac 819 which sounds good for the money and I am wondering if this would be an upgrade or its the same quality as the Elac?
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." - Nietzsche
Solist

Slovenia

Return to Turntables and Tonearms