the home of the turntable

Trying to fix a Technics SL-M1

snap, crackle and pop

Trying to fix a Technics SL-M1

Postby wwhitmore1993 » 19 Jun 2017 03:23

Hey all, it's fathers day, and I decided to try and fix my dads turntable. I've got some incentive to get it done, hes got mine in the meantime...haha. As above, it's a Technics SL-M1 with the pitch control slider. The problem it's having is when quarts lock is engaged, the strobe seems to bounce, or pulse, you can definitely hear it in the music too. Like it's not playing at a consistent speed. If I try to use manual pitch control, it goes whacko. Faster, slower, all over the place in no particular pattern. The table itself is in superb shape, and I'd really like to get it fixed. Lots of sentimental value to me and dad. Any ideas where to start troubleshooting? Any help would be appreciated.
wwhitmore1993

United States of America

Re: Trying to fix a Technics SL-M1

Postby musicmn » 19 Jun 2017 21:45

Hi, first off that's beautiful turntable. The speed issue could just be dirty pitch controls. Now I have never worked on one of these deck before. But a I have seen a lot of these type of turntables that have both quartz lock and manual pitch controls. And they usually have variable resistors inside on a circuit board that are used to do the adjustment of the platter pitch speed at the factory. The VR's and the speed potentiometers need be cleaned with a good deoxit contact cleaner and usually this will restore stability to the pitch controls and platter speeds. The reason I say this is because of what you said in your post about the speed going every where when you try to adjust the speed manually. I've seen a lot of both DD and belt drive turntables with pitch controls act this way until the pitch controls were cleaned with deoxit. Also any switches should be cleaned with deoxit contact cleaner. Believe it or not sometimes just having dirty on/off switches will cause speed issues. Now if cleaning all the controls does not work then it's time to do some diagnostic work to find out what is causing the speed issue. But hopefully cleaning the controls fixes the problem. I hope this helps.
musicmn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby tom6to1 » 20 Jun 2017 16:42

Wwhitmore1993, you may want to go to the Technics forum and post your question there, or even more specifically, there is a thread in that forum specifically for the M1 & M3 models. That would catch the attention of other owners of your turntable.
tom6to1
contributor

Canada

Postby wwhitmore1993 » 20 Jun 2017 17:31

Thank you both for the information. I got the speed to set properly with quartz engaged, and am picking up some cleaner for the pitch slider. It had a couple of bad caps on the motor board. Here's to hoping a cleaning fixes the front slider. Once again, thanks!!
wwhitmore1993

United States of America

Return to Turntables and Tonearms