the home of the turntable

Help and advice please.

snap, crackle and pop

Help and advice please.

Postby skotbites » 13 Jun 2017 22:15

Hi guys, fresh meat here.

I'm sure you get lots of these posts, new to vinyl in that I've not played any for about 15years and no longer have the cheap turntable that came with my old pioneer separates system.

I'm looking for something that won't break the bank and is potentially upgradeable.

I've been looking at the Rega Planar 1, Audio Technica AT-LP120, Pro-Ject Essential III A

I understand the AT-LP120 has a built in pre amp of questionable quality and theres a potential upgrade in disabling it, the other 2 i'd need a decent pre-amp for.

The TT will be then plugged into my Onkyo home cinema amp and run through that system. Thoughts?

I've also got my eye on an older TECHNICS SL-QD33 I've seen locally at around £20 is this a decent buy?

The last thing I wanted to ask was regarding the position of the TT, I have a perfect space for it in terms of my existing set up but this would place it about 6inch above my cinema sub which could be a massive problem. I have my receiver/tv box and sub in one of these http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/h7AAAOSwB ... -l1600.jpg with my ps4 and centre speaker on top. The TT would also sit on there.

I'm thinking you're all gonna tell me this is a big NO, in which case I'd have to have a rethink as to where I could put it which would then impact cable length.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Scott
skotbites

United Kingdom

Re: Help and advice please.

Postby raphaelmabo » 13 Jun 2017 23:36

Rega Planar 1, Pro-Ject or Music Hall 2.3 (built by Pro-Ject) or Edwards Audio TT (built by Rega) are those worth seeking for. The AT has a more fiddly and inexpensive arm and not as good sound quality as the others (AT has Ok sound and you'd probably be perfectly happy with it if you didn't know about the others...). The others has a better vibration damping and lower resonances and tonearms of higher quality with smoother action. I would say Rega or Edwards Audio here, they are easy to tweak and upgrade - I would say Edwards Audio over the Rega. EA is kind of a "pimped" Rega. :)

You need a phono pre-amp with those. You can get an inexpensive one like a Behringer, this will do Ok but more money will give you lower noise floor and more open sound even if the Behringer is good for the money.

I wouldn't put a turntable close to a loudspeaker, it's not adviceable. Not sub or other loudspeakers. Turntables are sensitive to rumble and vibrations. Best is a wall bracket. Or at least a stable support placed away from loudspeakers.
() Thorens TD 203, TP82 with Benz Micro MC Silver, Thorens MM02
() Marantz CD63 KI Signature, Pioneer A575, Alchemist TS-1D
() Alchemist Nexus, Alchemist Axiom
() Infinity Reference 50, ALR Jordan Entry 2M
raphaelmabo

Sweden

Postby Melos Antropon » 14 Jun 2017 01:19

skotbites wrote:Hi guys, fresh meat here.
I've also got my eye on an older TECHNICS SL-QD33 I've seen locally at around £20 is this a decent buy?
Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Scott

If that table is in good, operable (or easily fixable) condition, it is a steal at that price. Very good table, but it is P-Mount if memory serves, which limits your selection of cartridges just a bit.

Tony
Melos Antropon

United States of America

Postby VinylDan1 » 14 Jun 2017 03:19

What is your interest/skill level? Do you want to be able to just play records and have it sound good? If so, go with the Technics. I own one of those, it is a great table, one of the best P-mounts made. With a good cart you can't beat it, and they are bulletproof, and easy to set up, they just work. Mine will be part of a stereo I am setting up for a friend as a wedding gift (it will be hard to part with), as he just wants music that sounds great, and I know he won't ever have issues with it. Carts are still available from Grado, Shure, and Audio Technica. If want something with more cart choices and something more adjustable, tweakable, you have too look at your other choices.
VinylDan1

United States of America

Postby skotbites » 14 Jun 2017 13:11

Thanks for replies guys, I think at this stage it's just a casual interest but I know that I'm likely to get hooked.

I've got plenty on my ebay wishlist at the minute so if I can pick something up cheap to start with whilst I figure out placement etc.

In terms of pre amps how does the Pro-Ject Phono Box MM / MC compare to the Behringer PP400?

Are there any others around the Technics level I should be adding to my list?

Thanks
skotbites

United Kingdom

Postby mickb69 » 15 Jun 2017 17:00

I'd get something like the Edwards audio (or rega/project etc) AND get the technics anyway, just because it's there and it's cheap (if it's all working as it should)

Also check out the adwards audio Phono stages, they're cool
Funk firm vector, Audiomods classic II, shure M95ED jico SAS, graham slee gram amp 2 SE... Exposure 1010 integrated amp... Mordaunt short MS904, Glade Scented Candles & Nescafe vanilla/caramel/irish cream latte
mickb69
long player
long player

England

Postby skotbites » 15 Jun 2017 19:44

Thanks muck had a quick look at the Edwards audio phono stages and they quite a bit out of my budget at this stage.
skotbites

United Kingdom

Postby Melos Antropon » 16 Jun 2017 01:19

skotbites wrote:Thanks for replies guys, I think at this stage it's just a casual interest but I know that I'm likely to get hooked.

I've got plenty on my ebay wishlist at the minute so if I can pick something up cheap to start with whilst I figure out placement etc.

In terms of pre amps how does the Pro-Ject Phono Box MM / MC compare to the Behringer PP400?

Thanks

Actually, I use a Technolink TC-778 (I listen to some 78's),and it is an overall excellent phono preamp for about $65. All of the Technolink ones are good, but spend the extra $7 or so to get the "high quality" wall wart. I have been very happy with mine. Their website is: http://www.phonopreamps.com/

I would pass on the Behringer, only because their long-term reliability is not real good (I've read - repeatedly).

Tony
Melos Antropon

United States of America

Postby DL110luvr » 16 Jun 2017 08:58

Melos Antropon wrote:
skotbites wrote:Thanks for replies guys, I think at this stage it's just a casual interest but I know that I'm likely to get hooked.

Thanks

Actually, I use a Technolink TC-778 (I listen to some 78's),and it is an overall excellent phono preamp for about $65. All of the Technolink ones are good, but spend the extra $7 or so to get the "high quality" wall wart. I have been very happy with mine. Their website is: http://www.phonopreamps.com/

I would pass on the Behringer, only because their long-term reliability is not real good (I've read - repeatedly).

Tony

Another "thumbs-up" for the Technolink preamp....and the suggestion for "upgrading" the stock wall-wart!! Several companies either OFFER the "upgrade"....or just provide it (and pass along the markup in the selling price....!).
DL110luvr

United States of America

Postby skotbites » 16 Jun 2017 09:26

Thanks guys, still hoping to pick up the technics.

With the preamp looks like I'd have to ship the technolink one from the US to the UK would that make a difference with the 'wallwart' looks like if order from eBay they ship with the correct one depending on the country they're shipping to. How will I know it's the upgraded one?

Cheers
skotbites

United Kingdom

Postby Melos Antropon » 16 Jun 2017 14:13

Simple. They'll charge more for it, and advertise it as an "upgrade". Just a few extra bucks, and well-spent.

Tony
Melos Antropon

United States of America

Postby T.O.S. » 17 Jun 2017 21:49

raphaelmabo wrote:Rega Planar 1, Pro-Ject or Music Hall 2.3 (built by Pro-Ject) or Edwards Audio TT (built by Rega) are those worth seeking for. The AT has a more fiddly and inexpensive arm and not as good sound quality as the others (AT has Ok sound and you'd probably be perfectly happy with it if you didn't know about the others...). The others has a better vibration damping and lower resonances and tonearms of higher quality with smoother action. I would say Rega or Edwards Audio here, they are easy to tweak and upgrade - I would say Edwards Audio over the Rega. EA is kind of a "pimped" Rega. :)

You need a phono pre-amp with those. You can get an inexpensive one like a Behringer, this will do Ok but more money will give you lower noise floor and more open sound even if the Behringer is good for the money.

I wouldn't put a turntable close to a loudspeaker, it's not adviceable. Not sub or other loudspeakers. Turntables are sensitive to rumble and vibrations. Best is a wall bracket. Or at least a stable support placed away from loudspeakers.

Well put , good advices !
You are newbie in this area , I've seen from the arrangement of your prior system. No problem , we all started from somewhere and had to learn.
I would ask you some questions : Have you listened a well set vinyl based system in some showroom or at some friend ? Did you liked ?
Or you are just trying to build one now ? I am asking because I want to know what your expectations are. What other systems did you heard before? What music format (analog ? digital? CD? mp3? Flac? HD?)
Pay attention because some can be dissapointed when investing for the first time in vinyl based systems .It happend to a friend of mine .
Cheers , Teo
BenzMicro MC20E2H+TechnicsSL-1500Mk1/Ortofon OMP10+Technics SL-QL5
Technics SL-D3,Leema Elements ,CA 640P Phonostge
Consonance A100Linear,Epos Elan 10,Dynavoice 8"
T.O.S.

Romania

Postby T.O.S. » 18 Jun 2017 00:04

Yep!
Even if he grew up with turntable and vinil records at home , and entered in music with cassettes , he was conquered (by his proffession ) by computers.He got used with music on computer and streaming services...He tried to get back to vinyl , even invested in a Project expression but didn't managed to get the analog back in his heart.He got used with the convenience and digital sound. So , maybe get a good listening to a proper set up system to know what you should expect and aim for, before spending money.
Cheers , Teo
BenzMicro MC20E2H+TechnicsSL-1500Mk1/Ortofon OMP10+Technics SL-QL5
Technics SL-D3,Leema Elements ,CA 640P Phonostge
Consonance A100Linear,Epos Elan 10,Dynavoice 8"
T.O.S.

Romania

Postby skotbites » 19 Jun 2017 14:55

Thanks guys.

I'll try and address some of the questions. I've been unable to locate any upgraded psu options on the site mentioned for preamps (technolink).

My vinyl experience is limited but stems from a decent pioneer seperates ssystem that my dad had when I was a kid.

I'm intergrating this into my current set up however I rarely listen to CD's in this set up and use an Onkyo home cinema receiver thats a few years old as the 'heart' of the system. The music for this system comes mostly via digital streaming of spotify or cast from my phone so I understand it's no where near audiophile quality and this isn't necessarily the aim.

I'm wanting something that sounds good if not great mostly so I can stick an album on a sit and listen to it from start to finish which is something I rarely do in the digital age.

I did miss out on the Technics QD33 I had my eye one got gazumped in the last second and it went for about £36!! Should I hunt for another of these at this kind or price?

Cheers
Scott
skotbites

United Kingdom

Postby patient_ot » 19 Jun 2017 17:28

skotbites wrote:I did miss out on the Technics QD33 I had my eye one got gazumped in the last second and it went for about £36!! Should I hunt for another of these at this kind or price?

Cheers
Scott

Don't get in an eBay bidding frenzy. Find something used locally that you can inspect locally and take home yourself. There are many decent Japanese turntables from the 70s and 80s that can be had at reasonable prices on the used market and need very little in order to get up and running. That is what I'd recommend.

If you find some things online, post pics and descriptions here for comment if you're not sure about what is what.
patient_ot
contributor

United States of America

Next

Return to Turntables and Tonearms