Label recess yes or no?

snap, crackle and pop
bugeyed

Label recess yes or no?

Post by bugeyed » 22 May 2017 20:23

Is a label recess on a turntable mat a big deal? I just received a cork mat & it doesn't have one. Should I require that all the mats I try have a recess? I would love to read some info on the subject if anyone can point me to it. BTW I don't use a record clamp on my circa 1986 Rega Planar 2.
Thanks,
kev

analogaudio
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Label recess yes or no?

Post by analogaudio » 22 May 2017 21:24

Some information is available here on disc specifications

http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~yosh/jis_s8502.htm

and some valuable technical info here

http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~yosh/recspecs.htm

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 23 May 2017 00:58

The Planar glass platter doesn't have one, either.
The recess is not a necessity. This is not to say that it makes no differenc. I have not done comparative experiments.
Go to WalMart and get a roll of cork shelf-liner. It has a peel-off backing, with adhesive. Make a mat with the center cut out, and put it on a full one, and see if you hear a difference.

Cheers,
Alec

Slavikcc
Canada

Post by Slavikcc » 23 May 2017 14:45

I do not believe it will affect the sound quality nor the VTA, with/without the recess on a turntable mat. Probably to ensure that the record is perfectly "flat" since the label may increase the area height by a millimeter or so...?

Canadianguy51
Canada

Post by Canadianguy51 » 20 Oct 2019 17:20

I was wondering this to?

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 20 Oct 2019 18:38

I would think less than a mm.

pinenut

Post by pinenut » 21 Oct 2019 02:48

I think it depends on how hard or soft your mat is. Felt mats are usually soft enough that the label area will compress enough - while the record grooves are also supported by the felt (using a clamp or weight puck).

IF you’re still using the original mat on your ‘86 Rega, which I think was black felt (?), then you’re probably slightly compressed in the label area. BTW- you may want to try a weight puck on it. I found a bit better bass punch and mid clarity when using a weight on my Rega - same vintage as yours.

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 21 Oct 2019 22:50

If a mat doesn't have the label area and the outer edge recessed, at least some of the playing area of most records is likely to be floating slightly above the mat. Whether that is a good or bad thing isn't obvious to me, and it is clearly not obvious to many turntable and mat makers since ribbed, ridged, dotted, and otherwise non uniform support was very common for most of the vinyl era, with some makers arguing that no record is absolutely flat, so support on a few points will actually damp the record more consistently than a flat mat that only touches the record at the random points. It is true that with something like a Transcriptors (to take an exaggerated example) a warped record can be supported more successfully than on a flat mat.
And even recently there was a very well reviewed mat, whose name eludes my memory, which was a round piece of craft paper with two thin rings of cork to support the record. I suspect the air gap between the record and the paper was part of whatever effect the mat had on the sound.
Incidentally, the reason for the raised label and outer edge on records was originally meant to keep records from grinding against each other when used on multiplay automatics (why scuffing the flat top part of the record would damage the grooves, which are the playing surface, is not clear to me). Once records prices got lower, and vinyl got more expensive, thinning out the record was a great way to save the record company money. Some records, like the introduced with great hoopla, but universally reviled Dynagrooves, even boasted of being able to be rolled up without damage (why you'd want to do that is another thing that is not clear to me).

Hannes_Hannes
Estonia

Post by Hannes_Hannes » 23 Oct 2019 20:25

I have my Technics mat turned upside down, so without label recess. I can't perceive any improvement or declinement of the sound but I feel there's slightly less static involved if taking record off after playing.

derspankster
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by derspankster » 23 Oct 2019 20:49

I have a couple of cork mats without recess but I mainly use a thin deerskin mat and the record label causes a indentation in the leather. So, technically it has a recess I'd say. I'm not sure what I would be listening for to detect something different about that. I use the deerskin more because in my home environment there's less static electricity when I use it.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 24 Oct 2019 01:52

How thick would you think labels are?

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 24 Oct 2019 02:56

With sophisticated equipment, any difference in sound quality is likely measurable. Whether an individual will detect any improvement or degradation in sound quality will be pretty subjective, even though some level of difference in the sound may be noticeable. Most of us will just be pleased with the new look, enjoying music with less static issues, and....oh, yeah, just listening to the music. Listen like nobody else's opinion matters...... :P