the home of the turntable

Technics 1950 Turntable

snap, crackle and pop

Technics 1950 Turntable

Postby BrooklynGal » 20 Apr 2017 20:39

Recently, I had posted regarding my Technics 1950.

I finally brought it in to have it looked at. I still noticed that, when a record is played, it seems not to stay level. To me it looks like the record/platter or tonearm has a "wave" to it. It has happened with every record I have played. Is this "normal"?

I have attached a Youtube video.

Thanks.

https://youtu.be/CappVeIS5Zg
BrooklynGal

United States of America

Re: Technics 1950 Turntable

Postby aj1969 » 20 Apr 2017 21:24

What platter mat are you using that could cause it or at worst case its a warped platter/ motor spindle can you separate the platter and put it on a flat surface to check?
aj1969

United Kingdom

Postby BrooklynGal » 20 Apr 2017 21:31

I purchased the turntable on Ebay. It is the mat that came with it. I would have "assumed" that when I brought to the shop to be looked at, the technician would have noticed if it needed replacing.

I think I can separate the platter from the unit to check. I will attempt it tomorrow.

Thank you!
BrooklynGal

United States of America

Postby aj1969 » 20 Apr 2017 21:36

ok it could also be the motor assembly not level within the chassis. ill try and have a look to see what construction it is.
aj1969

United Kingdom

Postby BrooklynGal » 20 Apr 2017 21:38

Thank you very much!
BrooklynGal

United States of America

Postby aj1969 » 20 Apr 2017 21:58

if its motor/platter Just had a quick look i would think it is either the platter not "sitting" right on the spindle/bush or the motor bell housing not "sitting" right on the coils assembly. lets hope its just the platter mat.
aj1969

United Kingdom

Postby BrooklynGal » 20 Apr 2017 22:04

I don't think it's the platter. I remember when I brought it in, I removed it at the store (due to the way I packed it to transport it). I'll remove the mat and platter, but I suspect as you noted that it may be the motor bell housing.
BrooklynGal

United States of America

Postby royal_mile » 20 Apr 2017 22:10

Hello

It may just be my eyesight but when I look at the video, the turntable platter appears to be running true and the record looks warped.

The camera isn't rock steady but if you fix your eyes on the strobe markings at the edge of the platter, they seem to be running level as the edge of the record appears to rise with the arm.

In my experience, badly warped records are pretty common, even brand new heavy vinyl. Sometimes the spindle hole isn't centred on a really bad pressing which makes matters worse.
royal_mile

Scotland

Postby BrooklynGal » 20 Apr 2017 22:24

Hi Royal Mile:

Sorry the camera isn't rock steady.

Since I received the turntable, I have played about half a dozen albums all with the same results. I will play a more recent album and hope for the best. Tomorrow, I'll inform you of the results.

Thanks for your reply!
BrooklynGal

United States of America

Postby tom6to1 » 21 Apr 2017 18:42

BrooklynGal wrote:Hi Royal Mile:

Sorry the camera isn't rock steady.

Since I received the turntable, I have played about half a dozen albums all with the same results. I will play a more recent album and hope for the best. Tomorrow, I'll inform you of the results.

Thanks for your reply!

I need to ask an obvious question. When you look at the record (in hand just before you place it on the platter) does the record look warped? It is possible, depending on how the history of how the records were stored, that they all have a warp. I used an SL-1900 for many years so I don't suspect the platter. The records, the mat, and the motor mount/spindle are higher possibilities in my mind.

If it is the vinyl that is warped, as long as the stylus still tracks correctly (no skips), then no major problem. You have not commented on any sound problems.
tom6to1
contributor

Canada

Postby eddie edirol » 21 Apr 2017 19:16

The only time Ive seen a technics platter be warped was when I personally used a platter as an anvil to hammer something on. I dont remember what or why, but I was young. Of course anyone can do anything to a platter and put it back on the turntable and sell it to you.

If you want to try an experiment, take the record and rubber mat off, and hold your finger just over the platter to be slightly rubbing it as it spins. If the platter is warped, it will touch your finger on and off. If it spins true, it shouldnt. Or the rubbing should be constant.
Either way, if it is warped you can get another platter on ebay pretty easily I think.
eddie edirol

United States of America

Postby Copperhead » 21 Apr 2017 19:35

eddie edirol wrote:I personally used a platter as an anvil to hammer something on. I dont remember what or why, but I was young.

That's funny! I used a WW2 cannon round for over a year, until someone told me they often have a live charge. Thankfully, this one didn't.
Heavily modified Crosley, Armstrad amplifier and two large terrapins.
Copperhead
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby BrooklynGal » 21 Apr 2017 20:04

Hi Royal_Mile,Eddie, Tom6to1, and Copperhead:

I did what Royal_Mile suggested. I removed the mat and tried to remove the platter which I found difficult to do. But, whatever I did seemed to remedy it. Thanks!

Later, just for fun, I will remove the turntable from the entertainment center and try what Eddie suggested.

Tom6to1-no obvious signs of a warp. No sound problems and thankfully, the needle does not skip.

I'm still a bit disappointed with the repair shop I brought it to.
1) When returning after playing a record, the tone arm "hesitates". That issue was not addressed.
2)I was told that the needle does not need to be replace which I find surprising.

There is one other shop in New York City (Manhattan)that I may bring it to. And there is a repair shop in another borough (Brooklyn) which I may consider but no Web site). Transporting it via public transportation is bit cumbersome.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!
BrooklynGal

United States of America

Return to Turntables and Tonearms