the home of the turntable

Going to demo a Dual 1229

snap, crackle and pop

Going to demo a Dual 1229

Postby silver platters » 14 Mar 2017 00:30

Hello,
First time post here. I have been pawing around this site for a few hours, really like it. Next Saturday I'm going to look at a Dual 1229. I've read up on them a bit but am wondering if anyone could comment on what to look (out) for.

Thank you.
silver platters

United States of America

Re: Going to demo a Dual 1229

Postby nat » 14 Mar 2017 01:38

The speed change levers are often immobile, hard to move, or worse, stripped. If it doesn't move, or is hard, but does change speed, it can be cleaned and relubed. But if the lever spins on the post, the whole part needs to be replaced, and it isn't necessarily cheap, since many people have the same problem. I've never had any luck gluing or screwing to fix.
Hum is a very common problem -- the RCA cables are notorious for having problems (if you can solder, an easy fix), but there are also many problems with the headshell connectors. Usually cleaning the sled contacts and the arm contacts with an eraser works, but be careful because you can twist the contacts, and then it becomes a much harder problem to fix.
If the idler is hard, it will need to be replaced. Easy, but not cheap.
If all the automatic functions don't work, cleaning and relubing is foreordained. Bummer.
Other stuff -- arm rests break, dustcovers break and craze and crack, hinges go missing, many plinths suffer base board sag, so the suspension no longer does anything, and motor noise goes up like nobody's business.
No one said buying a used table was necessarily going to be easy.
nat
long player
long player
contributor

Postby silver platters » 14 Mar 2017 02:00

nat,
Thanks for some things to look for! I am not sure what I'll think if I hear hum because the table has a Grado XG, not sure if that's the cart or the stylus or both, but I've read there can be hum issues with this. My thought is to get a Shure V15 type iii and a Jico SAS, I'm hoping that if I do hear hum, my planned upgrade will take care of it. The seller says everything is functional. I suppose I should ask when it was last serviced. Can anything be looked at from the bottom? I can solder and will go through cleaning and lubrication as I learn what to use/methods. I'm not sure I'll buy this table, but it's a strong candidate in the price range I afford. Thanks again.
silver platters

United States of America

Postby Tinkaroo » 14 Mar 2017 11:19

One thing to be careful with is the single/multi selector lever at the bottom of the tonearm.

If it hasn't been moved for a long time or if the rubber ring holding a couple of small ball bearings in place underneath is hardened then moving the selector may lead to breakage of a part called a dearing ring which will be very difficult to fix. You can read more about this in the Dual forum.

If you hear an intermittent scraping sound as the platter turn then don't be too alarmed.The strobe markings are printed on paper which is glued to the bottom of the platter, and if an edge of that paper is loose it can droop and make the sound. It is easily re-glued, so nothing to worry about.

I would check out the condition, the automatic operations, how well it has been cared for (gently used by original owner is good), when the last time it was serviced etc..

If it is in good shape and just needs cleaning and relubing and perhaps a new steurpimpel then you can find tips on doing that in the Dual forum.

If it is in good shape then it is a well built turntable with a good tonearm, solid heavy duty motor and heavy platter.

The Shure V15 III is a good cartridge even with a good generic cartridge. The Neo SAS is rather pricey but a good Jico HE is more reasonable.
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby noisefreq » 14 Mar 2017 15:49

I try to read over the user manual (if I can find one online) of the TT I'm going to look at. This will give me an idea of operation and how it's supposed to work.

The platter on the 1229 has a c-clip on the post that must be removed before you can lift off the platter.

I always take a multi screwdriver and needlenose pliers. If the seller can't hook it up, I take a small phono pre with headphones.

If it has problems like mentioned in the above posts, don't fret, they are very fixable and gives you bargaining power on the final price. Good luck!
just keep smiling
noisefreq

United States of America

Postby jfrace » 14 Mar 2017 16:49

Very good information above. I'd also add, if the idler is hard, it can sometimes be reconditioned DIY, and there are a few sites where they totally rebuild them, should be less than $40.00 for a complete rebuild.

When I got mine, and my 1019, I cleaned everything under the table with 90% isopropyl alcohol, and then deoxit was used for all points,then I relubed the table. The cams on these also tends to have hardened up lube and can cause issues with auto functions as well.

Depending on price and your DIY capabilities (mine aren't that great), you can get it totally restored to new from several people who specialize in restorations, but the Dual forum page is very informative and a great information avenue to use. There are a few on there who worked for Dual,so their info is priceless.

These tables can be very good when in good condition, and very frustrating trying to work on them. Just take your time and your efforts should reward you with a very good table you can enjoy for a long long time.
(2)AR-XA w/Pickering XLZ-7500S MKII,AR-ES-1 w/SAE 1000LT
(2)Dual 1019 w/Stanton 881S MKII, Ortfon VMS 30E
(2)Custom built SUT,Cary SET pre amp,Class A SET, Vandersteen 2Ci speakers
jfrace
contributor

United States of America

Postby ebcdic » 14 Mar 2017 18:53

Tinkaroo wrote:One thing to be careful with is the single/multi selector lever at the bottom of the tonearm.

If it hasn't been moved for a long time or if the rubber ring holding a couple of small ball bearings in place underneath is hardened then moving the selector may lead to breakage of a part called a dearing ring which will be very difficult to fix. You can read more about this in the Dual forum.

This very much. Most everything else can be easily repaired. Be sure the tabs on the ring are not snapped or damaged.
ebcdic

United States of America

Postby silver platters » 15 Mar 2017 01:31

Thanks all for the responses. Hopefully another go-around won't be too annoying.

Tinkaroo- Thx for the warning on the selector, I'm learning the parts, right now don't know what the steurpimple or the idler look like, will research.

Noisefreq- The seller is setting up the table to play, would you advise pulling the platter for a look, and if so, what can be seen?

jfrace- I will check the idler and thanks for the maintenance suggestions/options.

ebcdic- If there is an issue with the tabs, are replacements available, how's the repair?
silver platters

United States of America

Postby bluesparks25 » 15 Mar 2017 19:18

Tinkaroo wrote:One thing to be careful with is the single/multi selector lever at the bottom of the tonearm.

Cannot stress this one enough :D
Research broken Dearing ring images, and see images of where and what it looks like...don't even mess with the single/tracking lever at all if the ring looks good until after you service it! I made this mistake on my first 1229.. luckily I found a parts table for cheap... hope it works out for you!
bluesparks25

United States of America

Postby ebcdic » 15 Mar 2017 23:42

silver platters wrote:Thanks all for the responses. Hopefully another go-around won't be too annoying.

Tinkaroo- Thx for the warning on the selector, I'm learning the parts, right now don't know what the steurpimple or the idler look like, will research.

Noisefreq- The seller is setting up the table to play, would you advise pulling the platter for a look, and if so, what can be seen?

jfrace- I will check the idler and thanks for the maintenance suggestions/options.

ebcdic- If there is an issue with the tabs, are replacements available, how's the repair?

The tabs are attached to a ring on the tonearm. This piece rotates when you move from single to multi mode. I believe there is a shapeway part replacement out there, but I understand it is not an easy repair. Better off looking for a table with a healthy tonearm.

Actually here you go:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/D2RFE ... 218-518-dc
ebcdic

United States of America

Postby silver platters » 19 Mar 2017 04:17

Well, I bought the table! I'm excited, even though an issue "developed" during his set up, he cracked the corner of the dust cover. No missing plastic, but a 1 inch crack. I also noticed that the pitch control didn't seen to have an effect on the speed. He was unfamiliar with the table, bought it as a package deal with a couple of Pioneer receivers. Anyway, when I got it home I found that the ring must be depressed in slightly to make a speed adjustment. These two issues allowed me to get the table for $200 vice the asking $250. There was no hum with the Grado cartridge even though the ground cable was not hooked up for the demo. One thing I'm wondering about is the tone arm lift mechanism must be held by hand, if let go the arm will drop, is that a wear problem, or could cleaning address that, or is that how it's supposed to operate? All other functions seem to work. Thanks again to all for the comments, it was a big help looking at this piece of equipment.
silver platters

United States of America

Postby jfrace » 19 Mar 2017 13:50

I would still clean and lube the table thoroughly, then check the issues again. There may be a spring missing on the tonearm lift if it falls straight down, or it may have been lubed with the wrong lubrication. That's what I have found on my end.

I'd also take the platter off and check the suppleness of the idler wheel just to make sure it's not rock hard. $200.00 is not bad in my opinion if the table only has those 2 "issues". I paid $180.00 for mine,and then paid $220.00 for a full restoration. I know others may disagree on the pricing, but if you're not as well educated in turntable repair as others (I myself am in your shoes,and it was worth the piece of mind for me),it's about the upper end of the spectrum on a non restored working table.

I myself am OCD on turntables and all the fixins they originally came with, so I spent more money on a multi play spindle, 45 adapter, and original head shell overhang gauge. I did wind up selling the 1229Q as I needed to fund other projects in order for me to "test" other tables, and sold it for $600.00,so in hindsight it was worth me restoring it. I probably made about $125.00 when all was said and done, but originally wasn't looking to sell. I did have the table for about a year,so it wasn't a flip. I also found,for me anyway,I liked the 1019 a little better.So it was easier to let it go as well.

Post some pictures of the table for us as well.
(2)AR-XA w/Pickering XLZ-7500S MKII,AR-ES-1 w/SAE 1000LT
(2)Dual 1019 w/Stanton 881S MKII, Ortfon VMS 30E
(2)Custom built SUT,Cary SET pre amp,Class A SET, Vandersteen 2Ci speakers
jfrace
contributor

United States of America

Postby silver platters » 19 Mar 2017 15:03

jfrace,
Thanks for the feedback and further information. I asked about the multi play attachment, he never received that item. I also might look for all the original stuff, starting with an owners manual. I'm going to look for the proper lube and get going on cleaning/lubing. One small thing I know I can repair is the ground terminal needs replaced as the wires into it have lost several strands due to bending at the terminal. I took several pictures of the turntable with intention of posting but they are stuck in the cloud, I'll post them when they come through.
silver platters

United States of America

Postby silver platters » 19 Mar 2017 16:34

Here's some pics off the wife's phone, had to resize, first one's too big.
Attachments
20170319_081558.jpg
20170319_081637.jpg
20170319_081627.jpg
silver platters

United States of America

Postby silver platters » 20 Mar 2017 12:44

Removing the platter to check the idler wheel was a bit of a learning experience. I saw a c clip on the bottom of the shaft, once removed I learned the shaft was spring loaded and the inner shaft retracted up inside the outer. Anyway, I figured out wrong c clip (it's pictured on the right). I got the platter off and the wheel looks and feels okay, there is light grease on the spindle shaft teeth. I read there is a cleaning compound/rubber revitalizer that you can put on to keep the idler happy, I'll look for that. I'm thinking it would be nice to build a jig to set the table upside down on, something that supports the table while avoiding the tone arm. I'm going to look before I leap a little more with the next thing I do.
Attachments
IMG_1594.JPG
IMG_1593.JPG
silver platters

United States of America

Next

Return to Turntables and Tonearms