How did you end up with an Elac?

snap, crackle and pop
Darby Crash

Re: How did you end up with an Elac?

Post by Darby Crash » 10 Jun 2018 05:28

Saw this 10H at an estate sale for $145!! I almost told the guy they're crazy but i dont want to piss them off since we go all the time. Went back next day early (65% off) and got it AND a beautiful pair of German made Kirksaeter Raumomatic X-7D’s for $100! They both sound great.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 10 Jun 2018 07:29

Darby Crash wrote:Saw this 10H at an estate sale for $145!! I almost told the guy they're crazy but i dont want to piss them off since we go all the time. Went back next day early (65% off) and got it AND a beautiful pair of German made Kirksaeter Raumomatic X-7D’s for $100! They both sound great.
Got to see some pics of these vintage beauties now, Darby Crash... =P~ What receiver/amplifier are you running them through? Maybe your estate sale guy had one of those, too? The missing piece of a set, perhaps? :-k

Darby Crash

Post by Darby Crash » 10 Jun 2018 14:42

Im trying to shrink my pictures. Oh man this guy had the vintage set all right. There was a The Fisher tx1000 and a HH Scott tuner and amp. Those were gone before i got there. There was a Linn tt too but it was gone. Im just listening to them with a little Hitachi amp in my garage for now.
I flipped the 10H over and started cleaning the old grease off. Its pristine underneath. The rubber feet are perfect. Untouched, the speakers sound great. Im gonna hook them up to a Sherwood s7100a or a Nikko sta501 later. Ill work on the pictures.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 11 Jun 2018 03:41

Darby Crash wrote:Im trying to shrink my pictures. Oh man this guy had the vintage set all right. There was a The Fisher tx1000 and a HH Scott tuner and amp. Those were gone before i got there. There was a Linn tt too but it was gone. Im just listening to them with a little Hitachi amp in my garage for now.
I flipped the 10H over and started cleaning the old grease off. Its pristine underneath. The rubber feet are perfect. Untouched, the speakers sound great. Im gonna hook them up to a Sherwood s7100a or a Nikko sta501 later. Ill work on the pictures.
I like the idea of the Elac and Sherwood...I've been contemplating a similar set-up pairing my Elac 40a turntable up with either my Sherwood S-7800 or S-7310 receiver...Whichever way I go, they seem like perfect vintage matches! 8)

Darby Crash

Post by Darby Crash » 11 Jun 2018 04:44

Heres the 10h i just got. Its still dirty but running great.
And heres (one) of the speakers i got with it. I cant fit any better pictures cause if file size restrictions
Attachments
A24E1B4A-7409-417F-AB72-1BC6E5D2F1E7.jpeg
(532.75 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
C8A2D8E0-7415-44BB-A8E7-5C36252B4825.jpeg
(599.04 KiB) Downloaded 95 times

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 11 Jun 2018 05:04

Wow! That 10H is a beauty...I would highly advise you to get Don's (our own VE member mrow2) kit, featuring some Alvania grease and a great PDF file, full of Dual restoration tips, but also some good info for refurbing Elacs, as well! If you want more info, send him a PM!

I love the looks of those speakers, too! Very vintage cool! 8) And I'm guessing they must be heavy suckers??? :-k

Damien Taylor

Post by Damien Taylor » 01 May 2019 02:53

Picked up this 50H on facebook marketplace for $20 Australian, listed as for parts only. I cobbled together a nasty counterweight for testing and it works and sounds amazing.

I immediately ordered the missing counterweight and changer spindle from Germany on eBay, still waiting for them to arrive. I'm into it for about $130AUD ($90 USD) which I think is justifiable.
20190425_113858.jpg
(157.55 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
It cleaned up very nicely, I brasso'd the platter. I'll wait for the parts to arrive before I post a glamour shot :)

edit: oh yes, and in true ELAC tradition the speed control was frozen when I bought it, its moving again with the help of lubricant but it still seems a little hesitant to move upwards without me rocking the switch a little, any suggestions? perhaps this part should be run dry?

Damien Taylor

Post by Damien Taylor » 31 May 2019 10:33

The counterweight and changer spindle have arrived. It has cleaned up really nicely and looks and sounds great!
20190523_093637.jpg
(99.29000000000001 KiB) Downloaded 35 times

NightRelic

Post by NightRelic » 31 Oct 2019 02:43

I shop at Good Will Stores a lot and I'm a fan of good radio Shack gear. I'd been researching which of their turntables were the best and ended up buying a LAB-400 cheap on eBay. Then I started looking at the Elacs. I didn't have an idler wheel turntable and became fascinated with the 45 and 46 I saw in their catalogs on line and decided I wanted one, but I wanted an inexpensive one. I was watching them on eBay. My favorite Good Will store is the outlet store where all the stuff goes when it doesn't sell at the other stores. Everything is dumped in these giant bins and you have to dig through them. I was digging through a bin one day and discovered a wood veneer Realistic plinth. I started digging some more and found the turntable minus a lot of stuff like the platter, spindle, etc. It was an Elac Miracord 46! Then I found the platter and the counter weight for the tone arm and then the dust cover. It was missing the center silver disk for the platter, the cartridge sled and the spindles. I even found the 45 adapter! Mostly you pay by the pound there, but with heavier stuff you can ask the manager for a price. I got it for $5. I bought a spindle and center disk from a friend who had them. I had to get the sled from eBay. It worked mostly, but sometimes the power stayed on after the record was finished. I looked at the underside of it and compared it to someone's eBay pics of the same model and found a couple of bent spots in one of the mechanisms. Once I straightened it out, it worked perfectly. It is now one of my main listening turntables. I wanted to post a picture, but everything I tried didn't work.

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 31 Oct 2019 13:09

Very nice save from the bin!