How did you end up with an Elac?

snap, crackle and pop
Finn McCool

Re: How did you end up with an Elac?

Post by Finn McCool » 01 Apr 2017 00:46

This is a 50H that I bought as a parts table but after fixing the stuck and bent speed selector mechanism and cleaning it up, it turned out so nice that I kept it complete as a working changer. The only thing not good about it is that it has an awful plastic base. It doesn't look so bad in the pictures, but it really is. Normally I like to keep things stock, but this is a great candidate for a nice custom wood base. On my list of projects! Going to try to salvage the dust cover, I have had good luck sanding and polishing these back to nice condition.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 01 Apr 2017 21:56

I have one of those similar bases for my 40a, and have thought of doing the same thing by creating a new base...Another project for another time, as you say...Still, at least you have a dust cover...I'm still looking for one, if anyone has any good leads...Still, if you finish her, finn, I'd love to see the end result! =P~

jfrace
United States of America

Post by jfrace » 02 Apr 2017 01:51

vinyl master wrote:I have one of those similar bases for my 40a, and have thought of doing the same thing by creating a new base...Another project for another time, as you say...Still, at least you have a dust cover...I'm still looking for one, if anyone has any good leads...Still, if you finish her, finn, I'd love to see the end result! =P~
Would an original 50H cover fit yours? I may be willing to let the one I have go.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 03 Apr 2017 05:30

jfrace wrote:
vinyl master wrote:I have one of those similar bases for my 40a, and have thought of doing the same thing by creating a new base...Another project for another time, as you say...Still, at least you have a dust cover...I'm still looking for one, if anyone has any good leads...Still, if you finish her, finn, I'd love to see the end result! =P~
Would an original 50H cover fit yours? I may be willing to let the one I have go.
It might. I know the 40a has a similar plastic base to the 50H that Finn McCool has...

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 01 May 2017 05:17

This one is for you VM. I had read about the robustness of the old Elacs and certainly believe now.

This Elac 10 is from a Clairtone console. I cleaned a good layer of grime from the deck top, but it is pretty roached from something that was on it. The underside was better protected in the console. The grease and lube is original and the turntable mat is shot and deteriorated. Basically 50+ year old equipment that has been sitting a long time, and from the stuff in the console I guess it was last used in the 70s or maybe the 80s. Popped in a generic but decent cart from another older table as the ADC 770 tip was gone.

So powered it up and no problem! Push the 33 button and the arm operates perfectly. Same for the 16,32 and Stop buttons. Listened through headphones and it sounded pretty good. A good hum when at rest, but I hand wired up the power and RCA connectors (console so no plugs) yet the Elac cut out the hum when the LP was playing. So I wondered about the speed and my phone RPM app showed a speed of 32.8 for the 33 setting!! Pretty crazy on a quick test set up with the deck suspended between stacks of CDs, a lousy mat, not to mention the original grease, etc.

Pretty amazing and impressive. Well done Elac. =D>
IMG_20170430_223906_904(1).jpg
(777.2 KiB) Downloaded 214 times

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 31 Aug 2017 01:36

If I didn't mention it before, spensar, that is an interesting Elac...Very nice, and built like a rock! 8) Have you played any more records on her? :-k

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 31 Aug 2017 04:42

vinyl master wrote:If I didn't mention it before, spensar, that is an interesting Elac...Very nice, and built like a rock! 8) Have you played any more records on her? :-k
Hi VM. I got it in April and had fun with it for a few of months, got it hooked into a receiver and did some spinning. But space constraints are real and I passed it on. There have been some tough calls this year!

cafe_liegeois
Germany

Post by cafe_liegeois » 31 Aug 2017 10:01

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 31 Aug 2017 10:30

Your 50H looks absolutely stellar there, Ralf! Such a pristine machine, too! Have you tried out the Elac cartridge yet and what is your take on it? Also, you may just want to get a spare headshell, should you decide to mount another cartridge, or have one for the LP's and 45's and another for the 78's...Maybe one like this... :-k

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELAC-MIRACORD-H ... SwrzdZosxA

I found a spare online for my 40a and it's nice to have an extra one around! And you never know sometimes with the way prices are going up on these accessories, so you might as well get 'em while they're cheap!

cafe_liegeois
Germany

Post by cafe_liegeois » 31 Aug 2017 11:04

vinyl master wrote:Have you tried out the Elac cartridge yet and what is your take on it?
Yes, I have. Sounds really nice with solid, well defined bass. Just ordered an elliptical replacement stylus since the spherical one that came with it has apparently reached its end-of-life.

And I've already been looking for a spare headshell to mount my V15-III.

Stay tuned...

Ralf

Bill_Ashton

Post by Bill_Ashton » 08 Sep 2017 01:32

You guys are killing me, KILLING ME!

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 08 Sep 2017 02:49

Bill_Ashton wrote:You guys are killing me, KILLING ME!
Sorry, Bill, but it sounds like you're gonna need an Elac in your life, if you don't already have one...I can tell you've got a thing for them...Not that the 1009 isn't fabulous because it is (and I have TWO!), but because I know you want one, and you'll probably kick yourself later...I know you know all about these Elacs, having worked at the Rat Shack back in the day and plus, it'll give you something nice to post in this thread here! :mrgreen:

Only a suggestion, but I love my Duals and my Elac with an equal passion and besides, no one ever said you couldn't own more than TT...I'm living proof of that! :lol: Keep it under consideration, at least...

The Elac enthusiasm is REAL, my friends! :wink:

And those shiny buttons are calling! :lol:

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 08 Sep 2017 02:55

By the way, I look at what some of these are going for on the 'Bay and I'm glad I only paid for $25 for a really nice specimen...This one here is even missing a button! :shock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Elac-Mi ... SwGzxZhkBF

This one's been up there forever, and I don't think he's gonna get his asking price...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELAC-Miracord-4 ... xy-WxTBs0F

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 09 Sep 2017 02:42

vinyl master wrote:By the way, I look at what some of these are going for on the 'Bay and I'm glad I only paid for $25 for a really nice specimen...This one here is even missing a button! :shock:

This one's been up there forever, and I don't think he's gonna get his asking price...

The Realistic/Miracord 46 that I recently sold for $200 was completely serviced with classic Pickering cartridge set up as well.
Walnut base and chassis in flawless condition too.... and included both single and multi-stack spindles.
And I don't think that was too much for something built so well.
The new owner will never have to invest a dime further for decades, unless he damages the stylus, of course.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 09 Sep 2017 08:40

Spinner45 wrote:
vinyl master wrote:By the way, I look at what some of these are going for on the 'Bay and I'm glad I only paid for $25 for a really nice specimen...This one here is even missing a button! :shock:

The Realistic/Miracord 46 that I recently sold for $200 was completely serviced with classic Pickering cartridge set up as well.
Walnut base and chassis in flawless condition too.... and included both single and multi-stack spindles.
And I don't think that was too much for something built so well.
The new owner will never have to invest a dime further for decades, unless he damages the stylus, of course.
And that's the thing, Spinner...COMPLETELY SERVICED and IN FLAWLESS CONDITION are key here! I'll bet that 46 you sold was a beauty and absolutely worth every penny of that $200, with all the added extras...I wish I would have gotten a multi-stack spindle with mine, but that's something for another time...A lot of EBay sellers think they can sell a turntable that is slightly damaged, missing some parts or that has been gathering dust for decades for the same price as one in better condition that has been cleaned and lubricated...The bad thing about EBay is that the sellers dictate the prices and you can't really dicker back and forth on price face to face like in the old days...Craigslist makes this a little easier, but some sellers refuse to budge...The ones that refuse to budge (especially on those rough condition models) are the ones I refuse to buy from!