How did you end up with an Elac?

snap, crackle and pop
jfrace
United States of America

Re: How did you end up with an Elac?

Post by jfrace » 04 Mar 2017 00:13

I just picked this up in the original plinth but it had black paint on the sides as well as top, and had a bunch of scratches, so I decided to play around with things a little. The color scheme is Seafoam Green and Battleship Grey.

The table still needs some work done to it, but it is a nice piece to add into my collection. I am running it with a Denon DL-300 MC Cartridge that was re-tipped with an upgraded Linear trace tip, and run it through a custom built SUT using Triad transformers.

I actually bought this to compare/compete against my Dual 1019, which also uses the same cartridge and SUT with RCA transformers.

I'm looking forward to learning more about this table and like some of the little extras it offers like the clutch for when it stops, the brush for the stylus, and a few other things I'm finding.

I've only had it for 2 days now, so I still need to do a lot on it.
5.jpg
(38.47 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
4.jpg
(46.21 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
3.jpg
(50.7 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
2.jpg
(48.87 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
1.jpg
(38.76 KiB) Downloaded 249 times

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 04 Mar 2017 01:25

In a way, it was a fortunate thing that the plinth was scratched up and covered in paint splotches...It gave you a very good excuse to come up with this masterpiece, jfrace...I think it really came out great, too! I would think that a cheery turntable like that would make anyone want to play records all day long! 8) The black against the seafoam green was a classy choice, too! And these Elacs in good shape can run like clockwork! Like I said, make sure to check out Don's PDF file, as there are some good lubrication and restoration tips for these Elacs buried in it...

For $50 and a new coat of paint, you now have an heirloom piece that anyone would be proud to have in their collection...I look forward to hearing your thoughts and comparisons with the Denon, too...

All in all, you've got to admit that these Elacs have quite an elegant, sophisticated and yet...simple design! =D>

And, if not mistaken, doesn't a $50 outlay qualify her in our "Under $100" Club here??? :-k

viewtopic.php?f=85&t=88346

You should add a pic or two to our thread there, too...

In any case, keep us posted on your progress with her! :D

jfrace
United States of America

Post by jfrace » 04 Mar 2017 02:23

It actually turned out to be free, the head shell was broken and I had to glue it and rewire it, the sled was messed up and I had to change out the wires, the cartridge was messed up as well. Not that I was going to use it anyway.

So, it should qualify for the under $100.00 club as well.

What I was looking to do was also add on the Miracord badge if possible like the 10 and 40 series have.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 04 Mar 2017 02:33

I'm curious about that, too, jfrace...Depending on the plinth and specific Elac model, some of these had badges that state "Realistic", "Benjamin Miracord" or this like mine...

Your plinth looks a little different than some I've seen, so I wonder if there WAS originally a badge... :-k

If you keep your eyes peeled, though, one might turn up...You could always ask here in the "Classifieds" section under "Wanted To Buy (WTB)"...Another member may just have one lying around...

That said, it does just look good "as is", too! 8)

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 04 Mar 2017 02:44

By the way, here are some more interesting thoughts about Elacs...

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php? ... em.390203/

jfrace
United States of America

Post by jfrace » 04 Mar 2017 04:45

Yea, mine or other 50H's don't have the badge from what I was told. I just kinda like the way it looks and wouldn't mind putting one on if it comes up somewhere.

I saw that thread on AK as well, and just posted there also.Hopefully someone will be able to Help.

Jim

mstrem

Post by mstrem » 05 Mar 2017 03:37

I have a miracord 46 I bought from Radio shack in the mid 70's. Still works great. t bought a ELAC 750 II from Europe and need a little Help as it came with a DIN plug. My receiver only accepts RCA plugs. After replacing the DIN plug with RCA, I'm picking up HUM. I'm assuming the grounding point was thru the DIN as There is no other ground wire like on my 46. Any Help is appreciated.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Mar 2017 22:00

mstrem wrote:I have a miracord 46 I bought from Radio shack in the mid 70's. Still works great. t bought a ELAC 750 II from Europe and need a little Help as it came with a DIN plug. My receiver only accepts RCA plugs. After replacing the DIN plug with RCA, I'm picking up HUM. I'm assuming the grounding point was thru the DIN as There is no other ground wire like on my 46. Any Help is appreciated.
I'm not sure on the plugs, mstrem, but I do know that dirty headshell contacts can also introduce some hum into your system...That topic has been discussed here in detail before...A good cleaning with an eraser can Help with that...Plus, it's good to root out all possibilities, as there could be a number of other issues that could introduce hum, too...In any case, you should show a pic or two of your beauties...I'm sure we'd all LOVE to see them! =P~

Read these, too...

http://best-turntables.com/how-to-fix-turntable-hu/
http://shure.custhelp.com/app/answers/d ... -turntable

jfrace
United States of America

Post by jfrace » 05 Mar 2017 23:10

there should be a ground wire attached near the mute switch underneath. I literally just finished restoring my 50H today and had to resolder that piece. It's like a small jumnper piece of wire. The DIN plug should be able to use a converter/adapter, or just get 2 that go from DIN to RCA if you haven't done that already.

jfrace
United States of America

Post by jfrace » 05 Mar 2017 23:19

Finishing up on cleaning and lubing the table, figured I'd get my inner woman on while doing the work. Only thing left that could be done is the idler wheel. I did give it a sanding to get some new supple rubber. Figured I'd put on some of the KTEL stuff as well. I may order a custom bread box top for the table. The Denon DL-300 with custom cantilever and linear trace tip is going to stay on the table. I'm still tossed on whether to keep this and sell the Dual 1019, or sell this and keep the Dual. Both tables were restored by me , and are extremely difficult to tell which sounds better.Both were very satisfying to do and get back to almost new condition.

The Miracord 50H had a broken head shell, broken wiring, messed up plinth, broken cartridge, messed up mute switch, was caked up with lube underneath and above, idler wheel had a slight flat spot and wasn't level, super dirty throughout, and something I hadn't planned on taking on. But I'm glad I did.

Here's a few last pictures of the table. I am going to most likely keep the plinth the way it is and just do a clear coat over it top seal it and give a little more protection.
w7.jpg
(129.19 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
w4.jpg
(170.23 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
w3.jpg
(127.53 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
w2.jpg
(159.77 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
w6.jpg
(116.66 KiB) Downloaded 231 times

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 06 Mar 2017 01:37

Nice, jfrace! I'd probably just add the clearcoat and leave it, and it's too pretty right now as is...

What I would suggest is that you keep both the Dual and the Elac for a while...I would try some different records on both, and maybe two or three different cartridges...Try both a conical AND an elliptical stylus...Get a 78' or two, and test out the speed functions, if you don't have one...Antique shops are full of old 78 rpm's, and even the local record shows can yield a few of 'em...Go back and forth and listen to them both for a while...Put them to the test with your MOST challenging records...The ones with very loud passages...The ones with whisper-quiet notes...The ones that always seem to skip in that one spot...The worst, most compressed-sounding discs...Give them ample time to break in before you make a decision...Personally, I would keep them both, if I were you...That said, the Elac would be a real nice one to have and it's just different from the others...Too bad you don't know of a deserving family member who needs a proper turntable...That way, you could keep BOTH in the family! :wink: That's just the kind of thing some young budding record collector needs! :D

jfrace
United States of America

Post by jfrace » 06 Mar 2017 01:45

Unfortunately, none of my family are into record players anymore. I tried giving one to my daughter for Christmas, and she didn't want it.

I'm leaning towards keeping the two as it is, but have 4 tables as it is. I was kinda looking to do a Lenco (maybe) and selling the lesser of the two tables here, but I don't know. Both tables have their points with me already, and being I did both of them over myself, feel an attachment to them.

I think I'm just going to do the clear coat and maybe call it a day. And maybe send out both wheels to be redone,even though I did them.

jfrace
United States of America

Post by jfrace » 08 Mar 2017 02:41

So I liked the way the plinth came out on the 50H so much I'm contemplating doing this in a custom plinth.

The tiger maple on top, and maybe the whole plinth with stain, or the plinth plain paint and the top tiger maple in clear.

Decisions, decisions...............

The plinth may be done in an 18x18x4x2 with the table sitting on top of it,instead of recessed.
Attachments
sf2.jpg
(94.29 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
sf4.jpg
(160.55 KiB) Downloaded 223 times

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 08 Mar 2017 03:40

Just curious, jfrace...What would THIS plinth be for? A "special" project? :-k Do you have another table in mind? Do you have some tiger maple just lying around? You don't want too much overkill, but depending on the table you plan on using, it could also look lovely...Of course, I'm always of the mindset that sometimes, simplicity is best... :D

jfrace
United States of America

Post by jfrace » 08 Mar 2017 14:13

I'm thinking the Miracord 50H in a new thicker plinth and am leaning towards the bottom one. Oversized maybe even larger than the above measurements so the tiger maple gets a chance to shine through. Figuring on having the top plate flat like an AR-XA and having the table sit on top instead of being recessed.