the home of the turntable

Ortofon RS212 question

snap, crackle and pop

Ortofon RS212 question

Postby woodmakesitgood » 15 Feb 2017 05:26

I'm setting up an Ortofon RS212, and the tonearm lifter is too low.
Will the small nut on the right side of the lift bracket allow me to raise the little lift pin?
There's no description of this in the manual. :?
Attachments
File_000 (11).jpeg
woodmakesitgood

United States of America

Re: Ortofon RS212 question

Postby woodmakesitgood » 16 Feb 2017 03:35

Well, I was able to loosen the two screws that hold the lift assembly,
and it can be moved up and down, but it is already as high as it can go (flush with the collar).
So at that height, it seems like it should be able to reach the tonearm to support it, then lower.

It doesn't look like the arm can be lowered to meet the cue bar either.

Maybe the height of the platter on this Denon 1250 is a bad match for the geometry of the Ortofon ??
woodmakesitgood

United States of America

Postby ammarmariti » 16 Feb 2017 03:53

Is it possible for you to disassemble the lifter assembly?
But make sure you have replacement damping fluid available.

Does the arm look parallel or is it higher at the cartridge side when you lift the lifter?
ammarmariti

Malaysia

Postby woodmakesitgood » 16 Feb 2017 05:52

ammarmariti wrote:Is it possible for you to disassemble the lifter assembly?
But make sure you have replacement damping fluid available.

Does the arm look parallel or is it higher at the cartridge side when you lift the lifter?

I don't know if I can get the assembly apart without ruining it. #-o

I balanced the arm with the counterweight, zeroed the dial,
and then dialed in enough weight to get 2g VTF.
The arm is lower at the cartridge side with the lever up or down (the lever has no effect since the cue bar never touches the arm).
woodmakesitgood

United States of America

Postby ammarmariti » 16 Feb 2017 06:31

Oh wow the lifter seems to be malfunctioning. It should travel a few mm to lift it up.
ammarmariti

Malaysia

Postby woodmakesitgood » 16 Feb 2017 06:38

ammarmariti wrote:Oh wow the lifter seems to be malfunctioning. It should travel a few mm to lift it up.

It does move a pretty good amount upward (about 5mm) , but not enough to reach the arm.
woodmakesitgood

United States of America

Postby nat » 17 Feb 2017 00:05

You can always put a layer of cardboard or some more sophisticated technical material either on top of the cuing platform, or under the arm to allow the contact you need.
I'm baffled by your description of 'the small nut to the right side of the lift bracket'. I see a screw but no nut. I'm guessing the screw is to adjust the height of the cuing platform/lift bracket. I assume you've tried it.
nat
long player
long player
contributor

Postby woodmakesitgood » 17 Feb 2017 00:22

nat wrote:You can always put a layer of cardboard or some more sophisticated technical material either on top of the cuing platform, or under the arm to allow the contact you need.
I'm baffled by your description of 'the small nut to the right side of the lift bracket'. I see a screw but no nut. I'm guessing the screw is to adjust the height of the cuing platform/lift bracket. I assume you've tried it.

The amount of meterial that I need to add would be about 4-5 mm in height, so it is going to look a little odd. But that's ok.
It is frustrating to not know what the major malfunction is with this device.

I think I was baffled.
It is an allen screw, there are two of them. One on the left and one on the right of the cuing platform/lift bracket.
I loosened both and was able to move the cuing platform/lift bracket up and down, but not higher than it already was.
woodmakesitgood

United States of America

Postby nat » 17 Feb 2017 00:54

Oh, I see them now. But what is that screw going into the platform, or looking an awful lot like it does? Can you use it to adjust the height? There has to be some way to adjust it, since it sounds like the allen screws are there only to hold the device in place.
nat
long player
long player
contributor

Postby woodmakesitgood » 17 Feb 2017 01:22

nat wrote:Oh, I see them now. But what is that screw going into the platform, or looking an awful lot like it does? Can you use it to adjust the height? There has to be some way to adjust it, since it sounds like the allen screws are there only to hold the device in place.

The large horizontal screw just holds the cue bar tight to the little up/down pin.
woodmakesitgood

United States of America

Postby Copperhead » 17 Feb 2017 03:26

woodmakesitgood wrote:The large horizontal screw just holds the cue bar tight to the little up/down pin.

Whoever put that donkey sized slot round head screw should be charged with crimes against design. Hope it wasn't you, was it?

Please, remove the offending item and replace it with an appropriate screw. Looks

obscene!
Copperhead
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby ammarmariti » 17 Feb 2017 04:21

Your picture shows the right side of the tonearm. Could you post a picture from the left side?
I think what's happening here is the lifter is mounted low in the black metal plate, and there could be an adjustment screw on the left side.
ammarmariti

Malaysia

Postby woodmakesitgood » 17 Feb 2017 20:30

ammarmariti wrote:Your picture shows the right side of the tonearm. Could you post a picture from the left side?
I think what's happening here is the lifter is mounted low in the black metal plate, and there could be an adjustment screw on the left side.

There is another screw on the left side. When I loosen both set screws, the assembly can be moved up and down...but it is already as high as it can go in the bracket.
woodmakesitgood

United States of America

Return to Turntables and Tonearms