the home of the turntable

Overhaul or buy new

snap, crackle and pop

Overhaul or buy new

Postby patricknaron » 14 Feb 2017 20:03

I have a Technics 1700 from late 70s early 80s it has never been tuned up original stylus and doesn't keep time. Should I pay get get if tuned and overhauled or buy a Pro ject or u turn?
patricknaron

United States of America

Re: Overhaul or buy new

Postby Vinylfreak86 » 14 Feb 2017 20:08

Getting rid of SL-1700 and buying Pro-ject or U-turn is like the army would get rid of tank and buy a city car instead. Keep it and restore it gently.
Vinylfreak86

Slovenia

Postby Poinzy » 14 Feb 2017 20:11

patricknaron wrote:I have a Technics 1700 from late 70s early 80s it has never been tuned up original stylus and doesn't keep time. Should I pay get get if tuned and overhauled or buy a Pro ject or u turn?

A Pro-Ject Debut Carbon would definitely not be an upgrade. I know from experience.
Poinzy

United States of America

Postby patricknaron » 14 Feb 2017 20:15

I'm in St. Louis. Do you have any kind of ideas how much is woukd cost to get it going. Approximately
patricknaron

United States of America

Postby Poinzy » 14 Feb 2017 20:17

You might want to post this in the Technics section as well. You could get more responses.
You'll just have to ask around about servicing prices. It all depends how extensive the wear-and-tear is.

If the price of servicing is more than a couple hundred bucks, I'd consider getting a new turntable, but only then.
Poinzy

United States of America

Postby patricknaron » 14 Feb 2017 20:23

Thank You
patricknaron

United States of America

Postby JDJX » 14 Feb 2017 22:46

I agree, keep the Technics.
Restore it, give it a new cartridge or stylus, and do whatever "tuning" that might be necessary.

BTW, in case you are not aware, "Technics" was Panasonic's high end / high quality line and is well regarded. :)
*Thorens 165 with M97xE
*Lounge Audio phono pre
*NAD C-350 amp
JDJX
long player
long player

Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

United States of America

Postby Rocky_Road » 14 Feb 2017 23:08

patricknaron wrote:I have a Technics 1700 from late 70s early 80s it has never been tuned up original stylus and doesn't keep time. Should I pay get get if tuned and overhauled or buy a Pro ject or u turn?

Do you know what cartridge it has?

Can you give us a 'look'?

Happy tracking,
Rocky
Rocky_Road

United States of America

Postby Vinylfreak86 » 15 Feb 2017 00:03

JDJX wrote:
BTW, in case you are not aware, "Technics" was Panasonic's high end / high quality line and is well regarded. :)

High end is today with new models, at that time it was something middle class. And also entry level with cheaper models, but always decent quality.
Vinylfreak86

Slovenia

Postby nat » 15 Feb 2017 00:32

Have you dexoited the speed controls? You'll need to open the base up to do this correctly, and you need to remove the platter, headshell and counterweight to do this safely. You can then carefully flip the table over (holding the dust cover shut while doing this) and rest it on the dustcover (obviously on a soft cloth). Be aware that in addition to the speed controls that are adjusted on the top, there are other two pots that are used to get the speeds in the correct area by the factory or service personnel, or by you. While you may need replace capacitors, its more likely that using the second set of controls will get you back at the right speed.
I think the service manual is in the library here.
The cartridge and stylus are essentially beside the point -- you'd need a cartridge with any table, so either get a new stylus or a new cartridge, and then see if the table sounds good.
It should. Despite being (only) a good midlevel table when it came out, it sounds very good, and you'd be hard pressed to buy a new table now that equals it without spending a surprisingly large amount of money.
nat
long player
long player
contributor

Postby vinyl master » 15 Feb 2017 09:23

Study and read the manual, if you haven't...

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/tec ... 1700.shtml

If you do decide, though, to get it overhauled, in St. Louis, there is ONE place to go...HERE!

http://www.alphatechstl.com/

I heard they charge $50 to open up anything up, but that, if the repair ends up costing $100 or more, they'll take off that initial $50 deposit...It might be worth a call or a visit, if you do decide to go that route...

Still, the 1700 is DEFINITELY a keeper...No Pro-Ject can match a well-made Technics, unless you just want another one... 8-[
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby JDJX » 15 Feb 2017 21:30

Vinylfreak86 wrote:
JDJX wrote:

High end is today with new models, at that time it was something middle class. And also entry level with cheaper models, but always decent quality.

Are you saying that during the "golden age" of LPs, TT manufactures did not know how to make high end TTs?.
If so, there are many on this form who would strongly disagree with you. :)

Anyway, I did say that it was Panisonic's high... not the the pinnacle of TT design.
Even back then, they had ridiculously overpriced TTs :)
*Thorens 165 with M97xE
*Lounge Audio phono pre
*NAD C-350 amp
JDJX
long player
long player

Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

United States of America

Postby sturgus » 16 Feb 2017 07:36

patricknaron wrote:I'm in St. Louis. Do you have any kind of ideas how much is woukd cost to get it going. Approximately

Give these guys a call. They are very knowledgeable and do good work. I also think you should get the Technics up and running. It's a nice table.
Sturgus

sturgus

United States of America

Postby vinyl master » 16 Feb 2017 08:20

sturgus wrote:
patricknaron wrote:I'm in St. Louis. Do you have any kind of ideas how much is woukd cost to get it going. Approximately

Give these guys a call. They are very knowledgeable and do good work. I also think you should get the Technics up and running. It's a nice table.
Sturgus

Looks like we both agree on the same guys! =D>

Either way, it's your call, Patrick! Fix it yourself or get it done by a pro, but DEFINITELY keep the table! 8)
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby sturgus » 17 Feb 2017 05:07

Yeah they do good work. That Technics is a fine table. If he can get it in shape for a few hundred bucks it will be well worth it.
Sturgus
sturgus

United States of America

Next

Return to Turntables and Tonearms