Sanyo TP-80SB

snap, crackle and pop
Expo73
United States of America

Re: Sanyo TP-80SB

Post by Expo73 » 03 Dec 2019 06:55

Just got my TP-80sb back from getting checked and the motor lubricated and new belt. The turntable seems to be in good working order except the speed issue. Lubricating the motor didn't have any effect on speed so I guess that is that. It turns at just over 32 RPM. I read about a quick fix of wrapping a piece of teflon tape around the drive spindle and it helped. It now spins at just over 33 RPM which is close and the turntable sounds very good but since I suppose the only permanent fix would be to find another motor which might also not work correctly. Oh well, I'm just going to sell it since I'm tired of messing with vintage turntables. I've had three and I had problems with all three.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Re: Sanyo TP-80SB

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 03 Dec 2019 11:11

Expo73 wrote:
03 Dec 2019 06:55
Just got my TP-80sb back from getting checked and the motor lubricated and new belt. The turntable seems to be in good working order except the speed issue. Lubricating the motor didn't have any effect on speed so I guess that is that. It turns at just over 32 RPM. I read about a quick fix of wrapping a piece of teflon tape around the drive spindle and it helped. It now spins at just over 33 RPM which is close and the turntable sounds very good but since I suppose the only permanent fix would be to find another motor which might also not work correctly. Oh well, I'm just going to sell it since I'm tired of messing with vintage turntables. I've had three and I had problems with all three.
Vintage turntables have to be properly serviced, you cannot do everything by yourself. In many cases problem with speed on old turntables is connected with bad capacitors, which have to be replaced. But everything done, you won`t want to sell them and replace with something new under 1000 eur.