Sanyo TP-80SB

snap, crackle and pop
Scottr1966

Sanyo TP-80SB

Post by Scottr1966 » 17 Jan 2017 04:12

Hey folks,

I recently got back in to vinyl and I picked up an Audio-Technica AT-LP60 BEFORE I properly researched so I know I don't have a great TT. Funny thing is I completely forgot about this Sanyo TT I've had stored away for years (see pics attached). My dad gave it to me back in the mid to late 1980's as I recall. The last time I played a record on it was probably 15-20 years ago and from what I can remember, to my mind it needed a new belt because it played a half step too slow. I cannot recall if I ever purchased a new belt and I have not yet set it up to try it out (I just pulled it out of my garage earlier tonight). But perhaps it's not the belt that caused the records to drag? Maybe it's because I did not have the correct counter weight setting? I knew nothing about that kind of stuff at the time. I just remember adjusting it until it seemed right to me. It has an Audio-Technica stylus (not sure of the exact model) which I am sure needs to be replaced. I am a vinyl newbie in terms of knowledge of systems, turntables, etc. so I was wondering if you guys can tell me if this looks like a decent TT to you. The closest I could find in the database is here...

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/sanyo/tp-80s.shtml

I'm guessing, since I don't see it on this list...

listhttps://m.reddit.com/r/vinyl/comments/5bh435/list_of_turntables_to_avoid_and_the_reasons_why/?st=iv6yxyjj&sh=e0648328&compact=true

...it might be one to refurbish with an upgraded stylus and perhaps some other parts if necessary?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

BTW, I just cleaned it up before snapping the photos. It was DIRTY! And yes, I am from Georgia hence the GA Bulldog logo :D

Thanks!
Scott
Attachments
IMG_0271.JPG
(80.92 KiB) Downloaded 719 times
IMG_0268.JPG
(60 KiB) Downloaded 726 times
IMG_0269.JPG
(36.61 KiB) Downloaded 669 times
IMG_0272.JPG
(31.65 KiB) Downloaded 641 times
IMG_0273.JPG
(41.06 KiB) Downloaded 645 times

paul401
long player
long player
Great Britain

Re: Sanyo TP-80SB

Post by paul401 » 17 Jan 2017 17:21

Hi,
welcome to VE. The Sanyo looks a perfectly useable 70's/80's deck- and will, once all ship shape, be much better than your AT 60, certainly worth spending some time and a bit of cash on.
Does it run, if the belt is just 'worn' (they stretch and get loose over time) then it will probably still turn the platter enough to try the deck out.
A new belt would be a good starting point. Clean the area around the platter rim where the belt runs and the motor shaft to remove any old residue left by the old belt - a little white spirit will help.

Removing the spindle to check for oil in the bearing would also be a good move, the spindle is usually held in place with a small screw on the side of the bearing shaft (located on the underside of the deck) - be careful when removing as (depending on the design) there may be a small ball bearing located at the base of the shaft (or if the grease is thick and old stuck to the end of the spindle) - clean and replace with new oil.

To balance the arm, first set any Anti-Skate dial (if fitted) to zero, now move the arm between it's rest and the platter, turn the large weight, it will move forward and back, until the arm 'floats' level - if gently touched it should move up/down then come to rest. Turn only the small dial with numbers on until the '0' aligns with a line (there is usually a line?) along the top of the rear stub of the arm. Now turn the main weight, (the small number dial turns also), so that the weight moves towards the pivot, the small dial/scale gives you the tracking force reading.
Tracking weight should be set as recommended by cartridge maker/model - I can't tell which AT cart you have, someone will chip in.

Replace stylus or cartridge, as required - check alignment of the cartridge with a protractor.

Paul

Scottr1966

Post by Scottr1966 » 17 Jan 2017 18:05

Thanks so much for the welcome and prompt, information filled reply Paul! I really appreciate it and I am so glad to know I have a decent TT on my hands! I just ordered a new belt since I read your post and I found this cartridge/stylus on eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291972884631?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

It looks VERY much like what I have an it fits my TT model according to the description. I'm not sure if the stylus included is a quality one but I'm guessing it's better that what I currently have. I'll wait on more possible replies here on this subject before I make anymore purchases.

Thanks again!

Scott

Scottr1966

Post by Scottr1966 » 17 Jan 2017 20:00

FYI

I took the cartridge apart the stylus is Audio-Tenica LM101E

mrpee

Post by mrpee » 17 Jan 2017 21:40

I have the same tt bought it in 1974 still works but I use a Thorens td 320 now.

Scottr1966

Post by Scottr1966 » 17 Jan 2017 21:52

mrpee wrote:I have the same tt bought it in 1974 still works but I use a Thorens td 320 now.
Right on. Well, I'm hoping for now I can do some small upgrades to get this one going so I can use it in place of the LP60.

paul401
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by paul401 » 17 Jan 2017 23:44

Hi,

good to hear mrpee, looks there will be at least two of these still going!

Had a look online after you posted stylus number and a replacement stylus is available.

http://www.lptunes.com/Stylus-for-Audio ... lm101e.htm

https://www.turntableneedles.com/ATS11E ... p_913.html

One original and one a 'Jico' brand, which is well regarded. If recommending a cartridge replacement I might have suggested the Audio Technica AT95e - this is a popular budget cartridge and often suggested for those wishing to get an older or long unused deck up and running. How it compares to your existing cartridge is hard to say - my instinct would be to say about the same, the AT95 has been around a fair while. So, new stylus or new cartridge/stylus, either would get you up and running, the item you found on ebay would also be ok, but again my instinct would be to go with either of the 'Audio Technica' options.

You may find an original available for less with a little searching, there will also be cheaper generic replacements, but the quality of these can be a bit hit and miss, but the Jico's as stated are generally well regarded.

Paul

Scottr1966

Post by Scottr1966 » 18 Jan 2017 02:22

Excellent Paul! Your advise is duly noted and I'll circle back once I've found what I need.

Much thanks!

Scott

Scottr1966

Post by Scottr1966 » 18 Jan 2017 04:08

paul401 wrote:Hi,

good to hear mrpee, looks there will be at least two of these still going!

Had a look online after you posted stylus number and a replacement stylus is available.

http://www.lptunes.com/Stylus-for-Audio ... lm101e.htm

https://www.turntableneedles.com/ATS11E ... p_913.html

One original and one a 'Jico' brand, which is well regarded. If recommending a cartridge replacement I might have suggested the Audio Technica AT95e - this is a popular budget cartridge and often suggested for those wishing to get an older or long unused deck up and running. How it compares to your existing cartridge is hard to say - my instinct would be to say about the same, the AT95 has been around a fair while. So, new stylus or new cartridge/stylus, either would get you up and running, the item you found on ebay would also be ok, but again my instinct would be to go with either of the 'Audio Technica' options.

You may find an original available for less with a little searching, there will also be cheaper generic replacements, but the quality of these can be a bit hit and miss, but the Jico's as stated are generally well regarded.

Paul
I'll go with the green ATS11E for sure. Thanks again for your efforts in research. I've now read good things about the Jico just as you said. Maybe a dumb question but what kind of cart do I have? Is it referred to as a TP-80? Not sure what to call it.

Scottr1966

Post by Scottr1966 » 18 Jan 2017 04:11

Wait! It's an LM101E, right? I'm confused as the name of the cart and the name of the stylus!

paul401
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by paul401 » 18 Jan 2017 21:25

Hi Scott,
cartridges /stylus numbering and ID'ing can get confusing. Your deck is a Sanyo TP80 no question -the badge says so! :D
Where did you find the LM101e number? Anyway a search with that found the correct stylus, your cartridge would seem to be an AT11E (it will be on the 'top' of the cartridge - to confirm) and uses an ATS 11 E stylus, as it is also listed as. There seem to be a number of cartridges in this range, AT10, AT12 - the main difference being the stylus type fitted, so the base model has a spherical stylus, next an elliptical, then a better elliptical shape and so on. Further confusion happens as often you can upgrade from the base model just by changing the stylus!!

Some turntable brands used 'badged' versions of cartridges on their decks (often made by AT amongst others) so sometimes third party stylus manufacturers would refer to the turntable model number to help ID a replacement.

Paul

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 18 Jan 2017 22:19

That is one beautiful turntable!

Scottr1966

Post by Scottr1966 » 19 Jan 2017 01:45

paul401 wrote:Hi Scott,
cartridges /stylus numbering and ID'ing can get confusing. Your deck is a Sanyo TP80 no question -the badge says so! :D
Where did you find the LM101e number? Anyway a search with that found the correct stylus, your cartridge would seem to be an AT11E (it will be on the 'top' of the cartridge - to confirm) and uses an ATS 11 E stylus, as it is also listed as. There seem to be a number of cartridges in this range, AT10, AT12 - the main difference being the stylus type fitted, so the base model has a spherical stylus, next an elliptical, then a better elliptical shape and so on. Further confusion happens as often you can upgrade from the base model just by changing the stylus!!

Some turntable brands used 'badged' versions of cartridges on their decks (often made by AT amongst others) so sometimes third party stylus manufacturers would refer to the turntable model number to help ID a replacement.

Paul
Wow that IS confusing! I did get the name off the top of the cart which, if I now understand it correctly, has the actual stylus attached to it. In other words, the wires are connected to the cartridge (the white part) and the stylus (green) is attached to the cartridge? I was thinking the silver housing (for lack of a better term) was the cartridge. Or am I still confused?

Scottr1966

Post by Scottr1966 » 19 Jan 2017 01:46

Japi Roelofs wrote:That is one beautiful turntable!

Thank you!

Scottr1966

Post by Scottr1966 » 19 Jan 2017 02:32

Headshell!!