the home of the turntable

Spare or Repair?

snap, crackle and pop

Spare or Repair?

Postby kramer » 11 Jan 2017 17:43

I recently got my Sansui SR222 MK1 out of storage with the intention of using in a secondary system. Whilst checking it over and oiling the bearing I notice that the arm assembly was loose. I thought it would be an easy fix and just needed tightening to the plinth. However (and I wish there wasn't one) I had barely turned the locking screw when I heard the tonearm drop onto the work bench. Looks like i'm going to need a new tone arm, I've found this site so far, my arm is reasonably priced but sold out.

http://www.sansui-parts-shop.com/index. ... 50&cat=181

I know its not in the Rega or Pro-ject league but I really would like to get it running again, any suggestions ie replace with orignal or other make?
Attachments
02.jpg
01.jpg
kramer
contributor

United Kingdom

Re: Spare or Repair?

Postby REW » 11 Jan 2017 18:59

I can't quite be sure of the damage - has the threaded arm pillar sheared off? If that is "all" I can imagine some repair possibilities. Otherwise a replacement arm would depend on the arm geometry - do you know what it is? A technics arm might do a good job.
Ron

Michell Tecnodec RB600 Ortofon 530, Beard P100 phono, Supernait, ProAc D15, Naim CD5i. Audio Technica AT LP5 Denon DL110, Slee GA 2 SE, Usher S520, Nait 5i
REW

United Kingdom

Postby kramer » 11 Jan 2017 19:31

REW wrote:I can't quite be sure of the damage - has the threaded arm pillar sheared off? If that is "all" I can imagine some repair possibilities. Otherwise a replacement arm would depend on the arm geometry - do you know what it is? A technics arm might do a good job.

Yes its sheared off, I bought this table on ebay and it only just survived delivery as the seller had not removed the counterweight or the platter. The platter was detached an had been dancing around on the plinth and this must have hit the tonearm assembly several times.
kramer
contributor

United Kingdom

Postby vinyl master » 11 Jan 2017 19:48

Another thought would be to find another Sansui and keep one as a parts machine...Sometimes, buying a spare machine for parts is cheaper than buying the parts individually, and will help if you have any other issues in the future...
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby kramer » 11 Jan 2017 20:00

vinyl master wrote:Another thought would be to find another Sansui and keep one as a parts machine...Sometimes, buying a spare machine for parts is cheaper than buying the parts individually, and will help if you have any other issues in the future...

Thought about that, but prices are sky high at the moment. Might be getting my hands on unloved Thorens deck, just got to persuade the owner to part with it (think American Pickers uncooperative hoarder ... wish me luck)
kramer
contributor

United Kingdom

Postby REW » 11 Jan 2017 20:13

Good luck then! Thorens parts available though motors tricky I think - make sure it spins.
Ron

Michell Tecnodec RB600 Ortofon 530, Beard P100 phono, Supernait, ProAc D15, Naim CD5i. Audio Technica AT LP5 Denon DL110, Slee GA 2 SE, Usher S520, Nait 5i
REW

United Kingdom

Postby Guest » 11 Jan 2017 20:23

The problem is - the threaded collar may have been weakened by a sharp blow to the tonearm, causing it to appear loose.
And further tightening has broken it completely off.

Turntables are delicate machines, requiring careful handling/transporting.
But in this case it's a moot point.

Postby Trio KD1033 » 11 Jan 2017 20:33

I'd be tempted to try fixing it from the top. The plinth is just a particle board/chip board, so some small self tapping screws would suffice, a bit like an SME fitting. It would involve some careful drilling though.

Andy
Trio KD1033

England

Postby Trio KD1033 » 11 Jan 2017 20:39

kramer wrote:
I know its not in the Rega or Pro-ject league

Mmm. Not so sure about that myself, I'd take a great condition SR 222 over quite a few of those!

Andy
Trio KD1033

England

Postby kramer » 11 Jan 2017 21:00

The problem is - the threaded collar may have been weakened by a sharp blow to the tonearm, causing it to appear loose.
And further tightening has broken it completely off.

Turntables are delicate machines, requiring careful handling/transporting.
But in this case it's a moot point.

Agreed, see third post, I think it was hanging by a thin slither of metal when i took the base off to examine.
kramer
contributor

United Kingdom

Postby kramer » 11 Jan 2017 21:04

Trio KD1033 wrote:I'd be tempted to try fixing it from the top. The plinth is just a particle board/chip board, so some small self tapping screws would suffice, a bit like an SME fitting. It would involve some careful drilling though.

Andy

That may be a solution, will have to get some new quality HSS drills as my set are past their best.
kramer
contributor

United Kingdom

Postby Vinylfreak86 » 11 Jan 2017 22:14

Trio KD1033 wrote:
kramer wrote:

Mmm. Not so sure about that myself, I'd take a great condition SR 222 over quite a few of those!

I also think that build quality of this Sansui is better like by the Rega and Pro-ject of the same price rank.
Vinylfreak86

Slovenia

Postby vinyl master » 11 Jan 2017 23:35

Vinylfreak86 wrote:
Trio KD1033 wrote:
kramer wrote:

I also think that build quality of this Sansui is better like by the Rega and Pro-ject of the same price rank.

The Sansui is worth keeping...My SR-212 is in my "ultimate vintage system" and just works so well with my 5000a...Sansui made such high-quality stuff...If I had the money to spend on a Rega or Pro-Ject, I'd probably go out and buy a vintage Seven, Eight Deluxe or save up for something like a 737 or 838...Maybe it's a personal preference, but even a 525 or 626 would be nice...And then there are the 4040's and 5090's of the world...There are so many fine vintage Sansui products in the world, that it would be a shame not to fix them up and use them...
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby Copperhead » 12 Jan 2017 00:45

Trio KD1033 wrote:I'd be tempted to try fixing it from the top. The plinth is just a particle board/chip board, so some small self tapping screws would suffice, a bit like an SME fitting. It would involve some careful drilling though.

Andy

Or, if there is enough thread left on the tonearm part, maybe a threaded sleeve to connect both parts? Although I reckon after a knock strong enough to weaken the metal so much, the bearings might be buggered.

I think Jelco made that arm, shame as it's the best component on the SR-222.
Heavily modified Crosley, Armstrad amplifier and two large terrapins.
Copperhead
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby kramer » 14 Jan 2017 13:20

Andy

Hi Andy

Decided I had nothing to lose so I took your advice and screwed the tonearm housing into the plinth and into the large washer underneath. The hard part was working out how to attach the tonearm to the housing, now take a deep breath... I had to use grab adhesive :shock:

I'm leaving it to cure overnight before i attempt to re-solder the tonearm wires.
Attachments
03.jpg
For my reference tomorrow
04.jpg
Self tappers also nip into original washer
06.jpg
05.jpg
I tried to make sure that the screws were accessible after assembly
07.jpg
kramer
contributor

United Kingdom