the home of the turntable

Pickup wires: Good source?

snap, crackle and pop

Pickup wires: Good source?

Postby mrwoodpm » 09 Jan 2017 07:25

Where do you buy a set of cartridge pickup wires? What brand or type would be adequate for a vintage entry level turntable fitted with a Precept 110E?
mrwoodpm

United States of America

Re: Pickup wires: Good source?

Postby noisefreq » 09 Jan 2017 16:13

Just try a quick goggle search for headshell wires. Tons of online retailers.
I like turntablesneedles, LPgear, voiceofmusic...
You can spend as little or as much as you want. Most go for around $6.
Expensive doesn't always equal better.
just keep smiling
noisefreq

United States of America

Postby Poinzy » 09 Jan 2017 16:34

I kept having problems with lugs coming loose, even in supposedly "high-quality" wire sets. I finally bought a couple of American DJ headshells from B&H Photo and just detached the wires. Haven't had any problems using them on other headshells.
Poinzy

United States of America

Postby bimasta123 » 12 Jan 2017 11:09

Lugs coming off happens because there is no industry standard for the size (diameter) of the cartridge output pins. Some are fat, some thin — the lugs fall off the thin ones. "High-quality" has nothing to do with it. If it's a problem, the fix is to remove the lugs from the cartridge, and squeeze them gently with needlenose pliers to make them a tighter fit - gently is the key word: too much force and you'll squash them flat.
bimasta123

United States of America

Postby johnnywalker » 12 Jan 2017 13:09

the fix is to remove the lugs from the cartridge, and squeeze them gently with needlenose pliers to make them a tighter fit - gently is the key word: too much force and you'll squash them flat

To add to this procedure, use wooden toothpicks when you do this. Insert the end of the toothpick into the lug, so that even if you squeeze the pliers too much, you won't flatten the lug completely. After awhile, it becomes part of the skill set needed to be a TT aficionado.
johnnywalker

United States of America

Postby noisefreq » 12 Jan 2017 13:55

bimasta123 wrote:Lugs coming off happens because there is no industry standard for the size (diameter) of the cartridge output pins. Some are fat, some thin — the lugs fall off the thin ones. "High-quality" has nothing to do with it. If it's a problem, the fix is to remove the lugs from the cartridge, and squeeze them gently with needlenose pliers to make them a tighter fit - gently is the key word: too much force and you'll squash them flat.

Something to consider, the headshell pins are usually thin whereas the 1/2" cartridge lugs are fatter. And I've never seen directional headshell leads. (Maybe I just came up with my next million dollar idea?)
just keep smiling
noisefreq

United States of America

Postby Poinzy » 12 Jan 2017 16:14

bimasta123 wrote:Lugs coming off happens because there is no industry standard for the size (diameter) of the cartridge output pins. Some are fat, some thin — the lugs fall off the thin ones. "High-quality" has nothing to do with it. If it's a problem, the fix is to remove the lugs from the cartridge, and squeeze them gently with needlenose pliers to make them a tighter fit - gently is the key word: too much force and you'll squash them flat.

What you're picturing is not what I meant. I meant lugs coming loose from the wires themselves, not from the cartridge pins.

Thanks, I've done enough crimping to know how to use needle-nosed pliers.

Allow me to repeat my American DJ headshell suggestion.
Poinzy

United States of America

Postby maggie93 » 12 Jan 2017 17:49

noisefreq wrote:Just try a quick goggle search for headshell wires. Tons of online retailers.
I like turntablesneedles, LPgear, voiceofmusic...
You can spend as little or as much as you want. Most go for around $6.
Expensive doesn't always equal better.

Yeah, those "esoteric" wires and connectors amuse me.
Cardas, etc, "high-end" crap designed to visually impress, and at the same time relieving you of snake oil money.

Copper wire is copper wire.... period.
I don't buy "hype".
maggie93

Postby Japi Roelofs » 12 Jan 2017 19:15

As with a lot of other wire, manufacturers adding a shiny outer skin, heat shrink tubing, and a fancy schmancy name printed on them, will almost always raise the price significantly.

I recently contacted a local audio dealer, asking for cheap headshell wires I mistakenly assumed he sold. His response was: "do you really think it can be any good, if it's that cheap?"

How typical...
Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
contributor

Netherlands

Postby maggie93 » 13 Jan 2017 04:18

Japi Roelofs wrote:As with a lot of other wire, manufacturers adding a shiny outer skin, heat shrink tubing, and a fancy schmancy name printed on them, will almost always raise the price significantly.

I recently contacted a local audio dealer, asking for cheap headshell wires I mistakenly assumed he sold. His response was: "do you really think it can be any good, if it's that cheap?"

How typical...

These sellers only deliver supreme goods...
Fancy wire with hand-woven SILK insulation, taken from IMPORTED spiderwebs and woven by VIRGIN hindi women of uppercrust families. :shock:
maggie93

Return to Turntables and Tonearms