the home of the turntable

Some Clearaudio Concept TT questions

snap, crackle and pop

Some Clearaudio Concept TT questions

Postby Blackout- » 08 Jan 2017 04:47

hi all, I am looking seriously at the Clearaudio Concept TT. Damn it looks fine. There are several things I particularly like about it. One is that its not glossy, so its not going to have grubby fingermarks all over it in the first 5 minutes and look like a dogs breakfast. Another is the nice sized (height) platter, and the arm looks really solid and doesn't have that dodgy "fishing line" business running around the place for the counterweight that I despise (but that's just me). (ruling out 90% of the Project arms/ TT combos).

But if you don't mind i have a few questions to those who own one or know about this TT tho:

1:/ The speed selector knob...first position is 0. Is that "off"? or is it just = "not spinning". ie is there an "off" switch that must be flicked as well to walk away from it?

2:/ The platter looks heavy. What is the spin-up time? I get kinda impatient if it takes a long time for a platter to get to speed. Does it need a "helping hand" to get started as it moans and complains or does it jump fairly fast to speed...5 seconds? or 10? ive seen some platters take like 20 seconds or more to finally be-grudgingly get started. Sometimes its a loose belt thing, other times its just a design thing and "the way it is". Ive found if it takes too long to spin up and down, then I tend to get frustrated and attempt to whip off and on records as it turns instead of stopping it, and then its a 50/50 crapshoot as to whether I might scuff the vinyl surface and I don't want to take that chance...basically I don't trust myself hehe.

3:/ the tonearm wire...damn that looks like an opportunity to catch something on and tear out. Heres the thing...some pics of the TT online show it without the external wire, some have the wire in an external hoop loud-and-proud sticking up into the air? is there a version with the wire internally into the arm? or is that an easy mod that others have done?

4:/ the dustcover. Could be a dealbreaker for me. Has anyone managed to attach a suitable one to the rear like eg Technics 1200 dust cover operates? flip it up and down? or must it be this whole deck-consuming sized thing that goes down to the bench and needs both hands and lots of space above to vertically lift off completely, then a place to put it down where I wont fall over it and take a chunk out of it etc. It seems like a pain to me. Half the time I have a record already in one hand ready to play as i approach my TT and just flip up the dust cover with my other hand. This seems like a real pain with it separate. If its an easy mod that others have done with a flip-up dustcover then I will be in business.

many thanks!
Blackout
Blackout-

Australia

Re: Some Clearaudio Concept TT questions

Postby Mike 33 » 10 Jan 2017 21:11

When the switch turned to 0 it is off.

The platter spins within two seconds and needs some time to stop, it is a weight, basicly a flywheel (which is good).

There are two versions of the Varify tone arm, one externally wired, one internally, the latter ones all seem to be wired internally. There are also models with Satisfy tone arm but mainly afaik sold in the USA.

You don't want to DIY a dustover onto a Clearaudio Concept. Get the original one or deal with some dust.
Mike 33

Postby Blackout- » 11 Jan 2017 10:31

hi mike! thank you that is awesome! internally wired tonearm it is!

just please clarify about the dustcover. The Original one...is it on hinges? does it come standard with a dust cover or is it extra? is it a dust cover that rests on the plinth? ive only seen pics online of a dust cover that covers completely over the whole TT on the resting surface.

many thanks!
Blackout-

Australia

Postby Mike 33 » 11 Jan 2017 15:31

Blackout- wrote:hi mike! thank you that is awesome! internally wired tonearm it is!

just please clarify about the dustcover. The Original one...is it on hinges? does it come standard with a dust cover or is it extra? is it a dust cover that rests on the plinth? ive only seen pics online of a dust cover that covers completely over the whole TT on the resting surface.

many thanks!

It isn't hinged and believe it is a one size fits all for the Concept and Performance series. It is optional.
Mike 33

Postby Light Head » 11 Jan 2017 15:41

Just some philosophic questions,,,

Dustcover. Isnt it recommended to allways lift the cover completely off the TT while listening to music? Or did I missunderstod this?

This might apply to every TT, or? Does some TT play better with a closed lid, or open?
Light Head

Sweden

Postby Mike 33 » 11 Jan 2017 22:09

Light Head wrote:Just some philosophic questions,,,

Dustcover. Isnt it recommended to allways lift the cover completely off the TT while listening to music? Or did I missunderstod this?

This might apply to every TT, or? Does some TT play better with a closed lid, or open?

The proof is in the pudding is by eating.

Try and figure yourself :)
Mike 33

Postby Blackout- » 13 Jan 2017 11:35

this is 2 days old... the CES 2007 video of Clearaudios stand...really awesome viewing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu34LGTAxvE
Blackout-

Australia

Postby Mike 33 » 13 Jan 2017 14:00

Blackout- wrote:this is 2 days old... the CES 2007 video of Clearaudios stand...really awesome viewing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu34LGTAxvE

Michael Fremer has some videos on setting up a table as well.

The first table you see in this video is what I have (MC wood) with Varify tone arm and Clearaudio MC cartridge.
Mike 33

Postby Blackout- » 14 Feb 2017 18:00

just to update this thread I had big problems trying to find a shop that sells Clearaudio here in Melbourne Australia. Two of the biggest HiFi stores in the city had never even heard of the brand and I was speaking to the main TT guys in both stores. That kinda surprised me as reviews for the Concept TT are all over the mags (HiFi World etc) and they are constantly bashing on about how good it is, I did lose a bit of confidence in the stores as the sales guys obviously have not read a single mag in a long time, at least 2 years as no-one could really miss it. Anyways I didn't want to buy a TT of this expensive price online so I kinda missed out on this one. During one of my visits I spotted a Project 2Xperience SB DC in black and realized it was probably my next best option in this pricerange and went for that, and the included hinge dust cover for the Project did push me over the edge. I guess I chose the route of least resistance and most obvious by investing in a Project instead of the CC but I wanted that local store support. Turns out I needed it, the Project came with a faulty RCA lead and missing piece.

I guess the Clearaudio can still stay on the shopping this in this way for the future tho! hehe thanks everyone for their comments and advice.

Cheers,
Blackout
Blackout-

Australia

Postby Ottermel » 14 Feb 2017 19:18

I guess the nearest one to you would be this one:
https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/
Suite 4, 792-796 High Street
(Enter via Woodlands Avenue)
Kew East VIC 3102

Distributor in Sydney NSW (but now it's a moot point!):

http://kedcorp.com.au/#/brands-info/clearaudio

P.S.
My daughter is in Melbourne now, teaching elementary school for one year.
When the music fades so will the world
Ottermel

Canada

Postby AudioSoul » 18 Feb 2017 04:14

I owned the Concept for awhile. It is a great turntable. I mounted a Virtuoso Wood on mine and it was a fine combination. Why did I sell it you ask, for no other reason than I like vintage turntables better. I had the Clearaudio dust cover for it. Very pricey for what you get, I would look at other alternatives. Ebay has some sellers that will make you one for less than Clearaudio sells for....
AudioSoul
long player
long player

United States of America

Return to Turntables and Tonearms