JVC L-A120 turntable

snap, crackle and pop
niklu52

JVC L-A120 turntable

Post by niklu52 » 30 Dec 2016 21:35

I am trying to remove the platter from the unit to get at the belt to replace, there is no clip and the platter will not come off...... what am i doing wrong?

musicmn
long player
long player

Re: JVC L-A120 turntable

Post by musicmn » 30 Dec 2016 21:55

Hi, the platter is probably just stuck. If you have some penetrating oil spray put a little of it on the spindle and let it sit for a minute. Then as you lift the platter with one hand using the finger holes tap the spindle with the plastic handle of a screw driver. You might need to give the spindle a couple of raps to get the platter off. Once the platter is off clean up any penetrating oil with a clean rag and some alcohol. It's also a good ideal to clean the rim on the underside of the platter where the belt rides with alcohol and the pulley on top of the motor. While the platter is off make sure that the spindle is turning freely. On the last l-a120 I did the spindle was frozen in the housing. I had to disassemble the spindle and clean and lubricate it so the spindle turned freely. This was not the first time I came across this on jvc turntables. I hope this helps.

niklu52

Post by niklu52 » 31 Dec 2016 00:24

Thanks for responding, I understand what you are suggesting but the spindle is attached to the platter... it's one piece. Oil won't penetrate beyond the platter.I can see where the unit goes into the housing and i tried to wiggle it out with a screwdriver, it still won't budge.

WOW this is a head scratches

musicmn
long player
long player

Post by musicmn » 31 Dec 2016 01:03

Hi, if you have the silver base model with the straight tone arm then yes the platter does come off the spindle. I have not worked on a l - a120 in a while but I do know that the platter is tapered and it slips over the spindle. Go to the library section on this forum and you will find the owners manual. It does show the platter off the spindle. Again try the penetrating oil and let it sit a little longer or if you have a large soldering gun you can heat the spindle then lift the platter and give the spindle a good rap. Hopefully it will pop off, I have had stubborn platters like yours before. I have on occasion had to use a block of wood to rap the spindle and pop the platter off. But be careful you don't want to damage the housing. Be patient and it will come off.

niklu52

Post by niklu52 » 31 Dec 2016 18:18

I tried the oil trick.... still no good.... the spindle and platter are attached... one piece..... tried rapping on the spindle, but as I said it's all one piece. I tried slipping a screwdriver into the holes and under the platter but it won't budge.thanks for all your Help, but I give up. If I find a repair place I want to watch how he does it. Amazingly frustrating!!

musicmn
long player
long player

Post by musicmn » 31 Dec 2016 19:59

Hi niklu52, boy that one must be stuck. I took another look on line at photos of your deck. And I also looked at photos of a JVC L-A100. That's the deck I worked on sometime back. They basically are the same turntable with just some minor differences. I've included a picture of the L-A100 with out the platter. I still believe that on your deck the platter should come off the spindle. I've never come across a jvc deck that had and integrated platter/spindle. I'll be curious as to what a tech finds, let me know if you can. Thanks.
Attachments
010 (Copy).JPG
JVC L-A100 turntable with out platter

niklu52

Post by niklu52 » 31 Dec 2016 23:00

OK, After seeing your photo I gave it one more try..... I used a vise grip on the spindle and swung the platter in circles until it finally popped off, you are the master!!... absolutely correct that thing was really stuck... Thank you for all your Help, you saved me some $$$$.
have a Happy New Year Musicman!!

musicmn
long player
long player

Post by musicmn » 01 Jan 2017 01:38

Excellent =D> =D> =D> I hope you like the turntable I think they are nice decks. :D :D

phennleigh

Post by phennleigh » 17 Dec 2017 02:59

I had a similar stuck platter, but I got it off.
However, I have one further question.
Does the spindle spin or is it fixed?

I find it hard to believe that a taper shaft is the bearing surface.
What moves with the spindle below the cast housing?
It is now sitting with ye old WD40, I am hoping I can unstick this thing.
Thanks

musicmn
long player
long player

Post by musicmn » 17 Dec 2017 03:26

[quote="phennleigh"]I had a similar stuck platter, but I got it off.
However, I have one further question.
Does the spindle spin or is it fixed?

I find it hard to believe that a taper shaft is the bearing surface.
What moves with the spindle below the cast housing?
It is now sitting with ye old WD40, I am hoping I can unstick this thing.
Thanks[/quo.

Hi, the spindle does need to spin freely if you look at the picture that is included with these posts you will see the spindle housing. The best thing to do is to remove the spindle housing, then remove the small gear from the bottom of the spindle. I use a large soldering gun to heat the housing. This melts the old lubricant which is causing the issue of the stuck spindle. Once you get the spindle out clean it and the inside of the housing with a rag dipped in alcohol. You might need to use some very fine sand paper or emery cloth to polish the spindle. Then lubricate the spindle and inside the housing with some sewing machine oil or other suitable oil. Since this spindle is stuck I would guess that the rest of the mechanism needs a good cleaning and fresh lubrication to get everything working correctly again. I dont think wd40 will penetrate the old grease that's causing the problem. At least in my experience wd40 has never worked on anything :lol:

phennleigh

Post by phennleigh » 17 Dec 2017 05:06

Thanks for the quick reply!
Yep, WD40 is marginal, it was what was available, I have better stuff in the garage, but it is cold out there, tomorrow.

But one further issue, the tonearm unit seems to have one fastener that is buried. Under right side, half way between the support post and the pivot.
Any idea on how to get this free?

Once I get to the spindle and its housing I am sure I can make it spin freely.
thanks

musicmn
long player
long player

Post by musicmn » 18 Dec 2017 01:01

Okay, I found a picture of the L-A100 I worked on last yr. Under the part in the picture that the arrow is pointing to is the screw you are talking about. Move the anti skate lever all the way up and then gently pry the plastic scale part up and lift it off. I hope this helps.
Attachments
JVC L-A100 turntable.JPG

phennleigh

Post by phennleigh » 18 Dec 2017 01:45

Great!
Just like something out of the Auto industry.
Dang, I shoulda thunk of that.
This being "new" technology to me is my only excuse.
At least this is fixable, unlike most other consumer goods.
Redundantly superlative thanks!