Levitating Turntable

snap, crackle and pop
davidsrsb
long player
long player
Malaysia

Re: Levitating Turntable

Post by davidsrsb » 22 May 2019 22:44

The arm and cartridge is the damping. Magnetic suspensions act like lossless undamped springs

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 23 May 2019 02:41

davidsrsb wrote:
22 May 2019 10:16
There was an opportunity for a direct drive done properly lower torque deck after the SL1200 was being dropped. The new Chinese made DDs lag the Technics designs in measurements by some margin
A good low torque sprung DD with a quality bearing and low resonance arm would wipe most decks on the market.
Exactly. If the maglev-guys had taken a serious construction-principle, they could have built a real good and relative cheap tt. A DD, maybe even with a linear arm would have been easier to construct and therefore cheaper to built.
But now they are stuck with their levitating thingy.

On the other hand the question is whether a conventional tt would have won the KS...
lenjack wrote:
22 May 2019 16:43
OK...then we need to levitate the arm.
This proposal also has been made before. This would help to some extend but in the end, when platter and arm were levitated, it more or less would represent a subchassis-construction.

And a subchassis-construction is a compromise. A subchassis does convert vibrations into frequencies a cartridge cannot track (so good), respectively an amp does not amplify. Usually a subchassis is tuned to convert vibrations into about 6hz which won´t be amplified by the amp and therefore become unaudible (respectively 6hz is inaudible). But still they can disturb playback.
So you make a compromise between decoupling/dissipating vibrations and performance.

But for the most the platter needed a spindle which is mounted with the tonearm. There should not be relative movement between platterspindle and tonearm.

davidsrsb
long player
long player
Malaysia

Post by davidsrsb » 23 May 2019 07:43

Levitating the arm on its own system, not coupled to the platter would make things even worse.

Chaos32
Singapore

Post by Chaos32 » 23 May 2019 20:13

The table is quirky but the way backers are now made to wait years for their tables with no end in sight is appalling. This wasn’t what they signed up for and being told you now have to wait until they are commercially successful to get delivery is really outrageous.

The idea which out there I would give them props but the business ethics is horrendous.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 23 May 2019 20:50

Commercially successful is a dream that will likely never be fulfilled. Artistically, successful, I fear, is also, the same.

tep392

Post by tep392 » 23 May 2019 22:10

I just don't see how this turntable is going to be commercially viable in the long term. The price tag alone for this table makes the market fairly small. My guess is that most people willing to spend $3000 on a turntable are prioritizing performance well above style, and there are far better performing tables in this price range. The market for spending $3000 on a showpiece has to be small, doesn't it?

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 23 May 2019 22:29

lenjack wrote:
22 May 2019 16:43
OK...then we need to levitate the arm.
Levitate the entire upper half of a two piece plinth. Ditch the levitating turntable platter and leave that the only thing completely "unlevitated" as it will still be connected by a telescoping drive shaft to the DD motor in the lower half of a high mass plinth. The arm sits on the levitating upper plinth of course. :D

Chaos32
Singapore

Post by Chaos32 » 26 May 2019 16:34

Well I am afraid if its not commercially successful then the backers may end up never getting their tables. :shock:

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 26 May 2019 17:14

I'm sure the backers knew up front, there was a risk. I would think - hope - the folks who put money into it, could afford to take this risk.

davidsrsb
long player
long player
Malaysia

Post by davidsrsb » 27 May 2019 02:16

Chaos32 wrote:
26 May 2019 16:34
Well I am afraid if its not commercially successful then the backers may end up never getting their tables. :shock:
So long as the developers are not paying themselves from the kickstarter funds while they attempt to build a commercial business and don't deliver to the initial backers.

Chaos32
Singapore

Post by Chaos32 » 27 May 2019 07:56

davidsrsb wrote:
27 May 2019 02:16
Chaos32 wrote:
26 May 2019 16:34
So long as the developers are not paying themselves from the kickstarter funds while they attempt to build a commercial business and don't deliver to the initial backers.
There has been accusations but have been met with denial so far.