Levitating Turntable

snap, crackle and pop
lenjack
long player
long player

Re: Levitating Turntable

Post by lenjack » 24 Apr 2019 02:33

Just out of curiousity, anything new on this from the developers and/ or distributors. I'm wondering if they've been able to make it work better.

davidsrsb
long player
long player
Malaysia

Post by davidsrsb » 24 Apr 2019 07:36

Several places selling them, not many people reviewing or buying and then commenting.
The only recent review is this one, and he found that it is super fussy about tracking weight
https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/h ... le-part-3/

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 24 Apr 2019 14:12

Oh this guy again who uses a test pressing on red vinyl as "ultimate refference"...

What he say in his summary?
"The MAG-LEV ML1 turntable brilliantly solves so many problems inherent with vinyl playback, like eliminating ALL feedback and motor noise, for much more than competitive pricing."

The Mag-Lev has like 73DB rumble. That´s neither "eliminating ALL feedback and motor noise", nor is it something new. There have been tts in the 1980s having 78DB rumble or even better. As the platter is magnetically coupled to the Mag-Lev it cannot eliminate "ALL" feedback, it only can dampen to a certain ammount, but there always will be. Furthermore the arm is mounted to the housing which probably does not feature a subchassis, so there is no decoupling at all (and even if there was a subchassis it would not decouple everything).
The "competitive pricing" now is 4400$...

... and LOL you cannot track above 1.4g because the electronics will overheat! I assume this is due to friction between stylus and record being too strong - then the Mag-Lev has to turn the platter with greater torque to maintain speed, which can result in overheating of the electronics.
So this means this tt only does work with certain cartridges, tracking forces, maybe even stylus-profiles, as friction can differ between stylus-profiles and it even may depend on how great modulations on the record are!
There are some records which are heavily modulated, those then might overheat the Mag-Lev.

In the end a tt which "brilliantly" solves non-existent problems, creates new ones like wobbling platters and, as now exposed, seems to lack torque.
Don´t get me wrong but this reviewer...

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 24 Apr 2019 14:36

I really wish they went full out instead of targeting the original price which was around 1,5k or less?

They tried to put out something innovative for a mass market, instead of going for pure performance. No wonders the end result is what it is.

Maybe then the outcome would be different, at least to a degree.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 24 Apr 2019 15:28

So, no progress, just more BS. I did not know about this overheating problem.m It's still a clown show.

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 24 Apr 2019 18:42

H. callahan wrote:
24 Apr 2019 14:12
Don´t get me wrong but this reviewer...
To be completely fair, the site is called positive-feedback. After all its 2019...

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 24 Apr 2019 18:53

Perhaps we can get the arm and/or the cartridge to levitate as well. =P~ :wink: :P :lol:

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 25 Apr 2019 03:21

If you want a table that takes novel approaches to real world problems get a Well Tempered Labs turntable. Forget the levitating toy.

georgesgiralt
France

Post by georgesgiralt » 25 Apr 2019 04:12

Hello
In the late 70's, an engineer friend of mine built one table with synthetic marble plinth, into which he put a very big needle from a needle bearing and a very powerful magnet.
The platter used the needle to rotate with very tight play and a powerful magnet to levitate on.
The table used a belt drive with a synchronous motor fed with a variable frequency electronic. He used an SME tonearm.
The platter was levitating but was not this crap. The TT performed superbly but the look was net so good because of the synthetic marble ;-)
Cost was quite nil because he got all the parts from his work including the magnetsand he used tools (lathe and the like ) from work.
At that time no quickstarter funds, no maglev no hype.. Well not that kind of hype...

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 25 Apr 2019 11:59

lenjack wrote:
24 Apr 2019 18:53
Perhaps we can get the arm and/or the cartridge to levitate as well. =P~ :wink: :P :lol:
Oh yes, and maybe the arm could rotate around the platter anti clock wise. And maybe it can be tuned in a way that on every solstice it reaches the standard mounting position =P~

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 25 Apr 2019 12:03

georgesgiralt wrote:
25 Apr 2019 04:12
Hello
In the late 70's, an engineer friend of mine built one table with synthetic marble plinth, into which he put a very big needle from a needle bearing and a very powerful magnet.
The platter used the needle to rotate with very tight play and a powerful magnet to levitate on.
The table used a belt drive with a synchronous motor fed with a variable frequency electronic. He used an SME tonearm.
The platter was levitating but was not this crap. The TT performed superbly but the look was net so good because of the synthetic marble ;-)
Cost was quite nil because he got all the parts from his work including the magnetsand he used tools (lathe and the like ) from work.
At that time no quickstarter funds, no maglev no hype.. Well not that kind of hype...
Levitating platter turntables as you pointed out have been made in the past by different manufacturers, but the gap was not as pronounced as with this one. Marketing is certainly a big deal nowadays, I just had a discussion recently about just how much important marketing has become. Probably even more important than the engineering behind a product.

Not to mention that we moved so far in such a little time that people are getting used to all sorts of innovation. It certainly looks stunning at first glance, it is not something people have seen in the past. And for those who use a turntable as a piece of furniture or decor it might do the trick, but for those who appreciate the technical aspect of a turntable and what it has to do, its a different matter.

Who knows, maybe the next generation turntable from them will be better. There are not a lot of designers who get the design right in the first try. It usually takes years of refinement to polish an idea to a point you can call it good.

gullkeoby
Croatia

Post by gullkeoby » 26 Apr 2019 09:46

I live also few hundred kilometers from them but if i ever go to purchase turntable in Slovenia it for sure have a name "Kuzma" on ...to me this is sort of "lifestyle" product for trendsetters ...probably there will be more buyers for this from the people who just cant weight a new smartphone and camp in front of shop then from some vinyl "enthusiast" ....

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 26 Apr 2019 11:40

Problem with these products is they are not made by vinyl nuts, just someone who has an idea but does not love this hobby. My Bipods work as shooting, teams etc is paetvof me so making a product for that purpose is easy as I know what is needed. If you listen to music on your phone, but you and a friend decide to make a turntable, then the levetating turntable is what happens..

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 26 Apr 2019 13:48

Solist wrote:
24 Apr 2019 18:42
To be completely fair, the site is called positive-feedback. After all its 2019...
Yes, but even on such a site reviewers should know the basics.
This guy lacks basic knowledge about tts and says stuff like this:

"...surprisingly introduced to the world from, of all places, the Balkans. Maybe this is the new technological Mecca for this century? "

Even if this tt was innovative, which it is not, it would not indicate in any way that the Balkans may be the new technological Mecca for even a decade.
This guy is arguing like a salesman who doesn´t really know about the product he is trying to sell.

But you´re right its 2019... and its not getting better...

edit:

Though thinking about it, it does say something if the only recent positive review does come from a site called "positive-feedback"...

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 26 Apr 2019 14:52

Hey! Slovenia was part of Jugoslavija! So Balkan. Although we think of ourselves as a progressive western country, but that is another story altogether...

Technological mecca? I doubt that, although we have some very clever people, it is just that the money is not here. So small boutique brands it's all you gonna get.

Back to the topic. Yes the internet is a problem. The reviews nowadays are oriented towards the simple minded consumer, so it is a matter of how good salesman you are. Since the invention of internet the reviewers are no longer experts working at a paper magazine but rather a guy who wants to have a YT channel. There are a couple of reviewers there who will really try their best to put a objective review, but there is also a lot of those who are just happy to sell something and keep the test unit.

And then its all these people who are trying to be nice and not offend anyone's product and I am not gonna start talking about that.
Just gonna say that from all the professors who thought me, I learned the most from the one who told me the first hour, he was gonna throw me out of the window. And we were way above ground floor..