Levitating Turntable

snap, crackle and pop
H. callahan

Re: Levitating Turntable

Post by H. callahan » 14 Oct 2016 03:59

There is a reason why DIYers glue a piece of wood from the platter-bearing-base to the arm-base... and the wood grain is pointing to the bases...
... to ensure no movement between both bases, which brings precision in tracking.

Would be interesting to know how much current this thing needs to lift and turn... should be a bit more than the average 20W a tt usually needs...

The Batman-voice in their video is so deep, i can hardly understand it.

... but shure they have the coolness-factor.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 14 Oct 2016 04:53

wrote:Ah, yes, another "kickstarter" fools turntable project. (remember that U-turn mess?)
What exactly is meant by "that U-turn mess?"

U-Turn's kickstarter project delivered on its promises and turned into a very successful company with a good product, all while creating good jobs in an area of the country where manufacturing has all but disappeared.

Would you please clarify what you meant with that statement?

There are thousands of happy U-Turn customers out there, including many who frequent this forum. I own one of their external preamps and it is everything they claimed it to be.

Post by Guest » 14 Oct 2016 06:44

BMRR wrote:
wrote:Ah, yes, another "kickstarter" fools turntable project. (remember that U-turn mess?)

U-Turn's kickstarter project delivered on its promises and turned into a very successful company with a good product, all while creating good jobs in an area of the country where manufacturing has all but disappeared.

Would you please clarify what you meant with that statement?

There are thousands of happy U-Turn customers out there, including many who frequent this forum. I own one of their external preamps and it is everything they claimed it to be.

Sounding quite biased & defensive eh?
No biggy.

As for the "happy customers" - these days, people, mainly the younger generation, are easily swoon by current offerings, not having the experience with past technology, and its vastly superior "old school" research, devlopment, and testing procedures.
So of course a sexy-looking piece of particleboard dressed up in shiny paint & plexi will get raves.
That officially stated 0.125 percent wow/flutter (on the "plus" model mind you) might sound tasty to millenials, but a BSR Mcdonald changer would rate about the same.
And it's the old "you get what you paid for" naturally.

By the way, I've seen plenty of ads from people selling off these wonderful gems of modern day manufacturing - what's up with that?

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 14 Oct 2016 08:43

Not much of a defense, but it beats a Crosley anyday...And let's not forget that they have consistently listened to customer feedback, and have improved upon their product...In case any of you haven't been following the news, they have a new gimbal bearing tonearm out now, and they've added anti-skate and a heavier counterweight to the Orbit, so at least, they're trying...And you can read all it about it right here...

http://uturnaudio.com/blog-pages/2016/1 ... ew-tonearm

Trust me, you won't see this kind of innovation on the cheap Chinese crap put out nowadays... [-X

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 14 Oct 2016 08:47

wrote:By the way, I've seen plenty of ads from people selling off these wonderful gems of modern day manufacturing - what's up with that?
One thought...Maybe they're upgrading to the new model? :-k

Orrr...possibly, they got a taste of the entry-level and are looking to spend a little more on something even nicer...

You never know...

Finger Painter

Post by Finger Painter » 14 Oct 2016 08:57

I don't see it as being anything new and although the design philosophy may be slightly different (and far better executed....albeit at a price) the EAR turntable has being doing much the same for quite some years now.

http://www.needledoctor.com/EAR-Disc-Ma ... gory=11103

Certainly magnetic levitation has been used by quite a number of manufacturers. What folk tend to overlook as that any vibrations etc are quite happily transmitted through the magnetic field and as a result the platter is continually changing its vertical position, even if in very small measurements. But this is a 'small numbers matter' game.

As for the 'U-Turn'. A wonderful fresh approach to the budget end and it was a pleasure to see a small independent company take on the big boys and doing a well thought out sterling job at the same time.

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by Tonybro » 14 Oct 2016 12:01

This was reported on here but I can't find the thread now so am referring to the original - magnetic levitation on a home-build! :wink:

This is simply mind-blowing and I would love to hear it....
Arnold_DIY_TT_1.jpg
Self-built TT
(230.78 KiB) Downloaded 256 times

Paraneer
long player
long player

Post by Paraneer » 14 Oct 2016 12:08

A big +1 on the pro U-Turn comments above by BMRR and vinyl master.

I applaud this successful start up. An Orbit Basic beats a Crosley any day and is a low cost way for newcomers to enter the world of vinyl. And its USA made so that should satisfy any Chinaphobes lurking around.

Not everyone has the ability or desire to fix or repair a CL bargain from back in the "good ol' days. And taking these older CL units to a shop suddenly can make them very cost ineffective. Enter U-Turn!

Besides an Orbit Basic costs only $179. What do expect for this kind of money new???
That would be the equivalent of 45 bucks in the 70's and you couldn't get much for that kind of ching back then either. Well maybe one of those plastic BSR changers with a ceramic cartridge - I think they routinely sold for $39. And the U-Turns have MM cartridges.

Bravo U-Turn!

TudorTurtle
United States of America

Post by TudorTurtle » 14 Oct 2016 15:18

+1 on U Turn not being a mess. They successfully delivered an entry level deck.

Maybe you're thinking of the Pro-ject Debut?

Post by Guest » 14 Oct 2016 15:50

Paraneer wrote:
Not everyone has the ability or desire to fix or repair a CL bargain from back in the "good ol' days. And taking these older CL units to a shop suddenly can make them very cost ineffective.
Besides an Orbit Basic costs only $179. What do expect for this kind of money new???
I don't see the logic behind those comments...particularly the "cost ineffective one...

Let's speculate...
A Pioneer PL-12 on CL = $20
OR
A Dual 12xx on CL = maybe $40.
Needs a bit of work.
A shop would charge $80-150.
End result - same basic cost, much better quality.

No particleboard platter!
No plastic bearings!
:shock:

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 14 Oct 2016 16:12

wrote:
BMRR wrote:

Sounding quite biased & defensive eh?
None of the above. You made a statement about a company, and you referred to a group of people as fools. I merely asked you if you could clarify what you meant by those statements.

wrote: So of course a sexy-looking piece of particleboard dressed up in shiny paint & plexi will get raves.
You are entitled to your opinion, but I'm asking sincerely if you feel the same way about companies like Pro-Ject, Music Hall, Rega, et al., whose turntables follow a similar "recipe"?

(I'd also point out that there are very real sonic/stability/longevity differences between MDF and particle board; anyone who's interested in learning those differences can check out this article: http://www.displays2go.com/Guide/Compar ... Plywood-17 U-Turn, for the record, uses MDF, not particle board.)

Every turntable I own (at last count, 10 of them) is vintage. The newest one is from the '80s, the oldest is from 1961. You don't have to convince me of the benefits of a hardwood plinth and an alloy platter so heavy that it'd break your toes if you dropped it on your foot. Believe me, I get it.

I have a few friends and acquaintances, whose ages range from 31 to 59, who have purchased U-Turn turntables. All of them have prior turntable experience (one of them is a hardcore audiophile who rebuilds tube amps and speakers, the other owns a large chain of music stores), and all of them are very happy with their Orbits.

So all I'm asking — and I ask it with respect — is that you think twice before using words like "mess" and "fools" when referring to the company and their customers.

Paraneer
long player
long player

Post by Paraneer » 14 Oct 2016 16:24

wrote:Let's speculate...
A Pioneer PL-12 on CL = $20
OR
A Dual 12xx on CL = maybe $40.
Needs a bit of work.
A shop would charge $80-150.
End result - same basic cost, much better quality.

No particleboard platter!
No plastic bearings!
:shock:
True, but you'll also get a warranty when buying new. And supporting someone who has a job here in the USA if it happens to be a U-Turn.

And your example of a PL-12 or a Dual assumes that one can find those TT's for $20-$40. Good luck with that.

Most likely they are going to cost more, even on CL. And by the time you add the shop cost of $80-$150, you have exceeded the units value. Fully functioning PL-12's are selling for $100-$150 on EBAY. That's what I mean by vintage being cost ineffective if one cannot do the work themselves.

I have no agenda and certainly don't repair vintage audio equipment for a living or own a shop selling new gear. Do you? I just think that potential buyers should be fully informed of all the pros and cons before spending their hard earned cash.

Vintage is fine if your technically inclined. But if you have to take it to a shop, you may want to consider new too.

sebrof

Post by sebrof » 14 Oct 2016 19:08

Some people just want a cool new table. Nothing wrong with that.
I try to avoid having an "If you don't like what I like you're stupid" attitude.

Budddhacide

Post by Budddhacide » 15 Oct 2016 00:59

Concerning the "Futurist" commentary,one thing to say - drones. Tell me drones killing people and delivering Amazon packages is not the future.

Post by Guest » 15 Oct 2016 01:14

Budddhacide wrote:Concerning the "Futurist" commentary,one thing to say - drones. Tell me drones killing people and delivering Amazon packages is not the future.
Some "future", eh?
Like the "present" - hordes of walking zombies.
These zombies are everywhere - you can tell who they are.
They've got a little touchscreen up to their faces. :shock:
Sad, pathetic even.

But what's good about it is... it's a "visible" obsession/sickness/weakness.
Unlike alcoholics, drug addicts,etc.
So it's easier to avoid them.