Stir it up: House of Marley sustainable (?) turntable

snap, crackle and pop
spinnin

Re: Stir it up: House of Marley sustainable (?) turntable

Post by spinnin » 03 Dec 2016 19:44

Hello all,

This is my first turntable since the early 90's. That was when vinyl was on its way out and CDs were on the way in. I had a Garrard back then and it didn't see much use as vinyl stopped being produced. My parents cleaned out their basement and the Garrard and my vinyl collection went in the bin (I wasn't aware of this until after the fact).

I applaud those with the know how and skill to repurpose an older turntable which, as many of you point out, is usually a superior turntable compared to today's budget offerings.

My parents still have their vinyl collection and I'm sure that they'd like to be able to listen to the records they haven't heard in quite some time. The House of Marley Stir it Up will allow me to digitize their records so they can enjoy them again in a manner of convenience.

I have a phono section on my preamp and the Stir it Up has one as well but I don't know that either one is a "good" one.

I am looking forward to shopping for used vinyl. Perhaps shopping isn't the right word as it seems to be more like a treasure hunt to find good examples of old vinyl that are playable.

I'll be investing in a record clamp and a record cleaner and a record vacuum to try and get the most out of the records during playback and to minimize further damage. I have been fortunate to hear some really great vinyl setups owned by friends but it seemed out of my reach. I got the Stir it Up as a gift and, while I didn't pay for it, I still plan to get the most out it possible.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I stumbled upon this thread when I was looking for reviews on the Stir it Up from the House of Marley.

Thanks in advance.

Slavikcc
Canada

Post by Slavikcc » 03 Dec 2016 20:46

From a couple reviews I read at the vinyl sub-reddit, one person reported some QC problems and another mentioned that it works quite well for what it's worth. It's too early to determine a consensus since it was released fairly recently. At the least, it's a step above the Audio Technica LP60, IMHO.

jimimck

Post by jimimck » 19 Oct 2017 07:28

Brand new to this forum, came across it hunting out reviews for the Marley Turnable. Sorry if its bad form to restart an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone has had any recent experience with this turntable?

I have an old Sony turntable (22 years old) that came with my "complete" stereo I bought as a teenager, and I know now its crap. I'm looking to start listening to vinyl again, and don't have a budget for anything fantastic, but know enough to shy away from those horrible Crosley branded tables.

I'm hoping this, with its Audio Technica MM cartridge, counterweight, and anti skate mechnism will be enough of an upgrade to provide some decent sounds. I also like the headphone jack and built in pre-amp to enable some easy listening with my Klipsch portable speaker.

Anyway, fingers crossed someone who has one/used one comes across this and can provide some feedback.

Cheers
James

PS - just for the record, I like how it looks, but don't care about "sustainability"

Slavikcc
Canada

Post by Slavikcc » 19 Oct 2017 13:28

From the reviews I came across, the House of Marley turntable has some serious QC issues, chiefly the motor being too slow/fast. I'm also not a fan of the included AT3600L cartridge in that player as well. If you are planning to buy one, hold on to your receipt.

jimimck

Post by jimimck » 20 Oct 2017 06:08

Slavikcc wrote:From the reviews I came across, the House of Marley turntable has some serious QC issues, chiefly the motor being too slow/fast. I'm also not a fan of the included AT3600L cartridge in that player as well. If you are planning to buy one, hold on to your receipt.

Hmmm, thanks.

I have access to limited selection here in NZ, within my budget of around $400. The Audio LP60 is about the same price here, but has less features I want in a turntable.

The hunt continues!

Cheers

Slavikcc
Canada

Post by Slavikcc » 20 Oct 2017 13:32

No doubt that turntables and records are awfully expensive in New Zealand and I thought we Canadians are getting gouged! And agreed about the LP60 since it's not a very good player due to its poor build quality and high defect rate. Another option for you is to look through your local TradeMe website for some used turntables.

jimimck

Post by jimimck » 20 Oct 2017 19:46

Slavikcc wrote:No doubt that turntables and records are awfully expensive in New Zealand and I thought we Canadians are getting gouged! And agreed about the LP60 since it's not a very good player due to its poor build quality and high defect rate. Another option for you is to look through your local TradeMe website for some used turntables.
Yeah I've been doing that too, but I think I'm going to have to do some research on what to look for in second hand units first. My preference was to get new to avoid buying someone else's problem or pay too much for a crap TT, but my limited options for new are heading me down that path.

Thanks again for the reply. Cheers

spinnin

Post by spinnin » 20 Oct 2017 20:07

I ended up getting rid of the Stir It Up by HOM. The speed was inconsistent and it was difficult to change cartridges due to the fixed headshell. A beautiful looking table but too much that wasn’t right with it to keep it.

I ended up getting a previously owned Pioneer PL-7 & that was very easy to use and repair thanks to advice and guidance from the good folks over at Audio Karma.

Good luck with your search

jimimck

Post by jimimck » 20 Oct 2017 21:39

spinnin wrote:I ended up getting rid of the Stir It Up by HOM. The speed was inconsistent and it was difficult to change cartridges due to the fixed headshell. A beautiful looking table but too much that wasn’t right with it to keep it.

I ended up getting a previously owned Pioneer PL-7 & that was very easy to use and repair thanks to advice and guidance from the good folks over at Audio Karma.

Good luck with your search
Thanks for your input. With the speed issue you mention, is that something that is easily noticeable? For a novice like myself, will this be something I will pick up on straight away? (And I mean on any turntable, not just the HoM one)

If I'm going to look at some recommended second hand ones, I may restrict myself to ones I can go and check out in person and listen to before buying.

(Sorry, I know this thread is about the Marley turntable, and I'm turning the discussion to advice about tt's. I'll hunt out a dedicated thread on what to look out for too)

kb007
broken record

Post by kb007 » 21 Oct 2017 12:03

It's funny how we use terms like "sustainable" and "eco-friendly". Sure the raw bamboo is going to be easy enough to harvest, but the glues and chemicals used to press and laminate it certainly are not eco-friendly. One ingredient does not make a product eco friendly.

Slavikcc
Canada

Post by Slavikcc » 21 Oct 2017 14:00

kb007 wrote:It's funny how we use terms like "sustainable" and "eco-friendly". Sure the raw bamboo is going to be easy enough to harvest, but the glues and chemicals used to press and laminate it certainly are not eco-friendly. One ingredient does not make a product eco friendly.
Which is quite funny considering that getting used equipment would be more sustainable and eco-friendly than releasing new, cheap stuff. And with a huge proliferation of cheap players and equipment from the likes of Crosley, Jensen, ION, etc., it adds further waste in landfills, carbon dioxide emission, and land/air pollution.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 21 Oct 2017 14:27

Yes, inconsistent speed is very noticeable. Proper and constant speed is the first duty of a turntable. Even micro-variations ruin the music. I almost trashed my old Rega because the plastic sub-platter had developed an uneven surface, but a replacement metal sub-platter saved it.

Cheers,
Alec

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 21 Oct 2017 14:59

Slavikcc wrote:
kb007 wrote:It's funny how we use terms like "sustainable" and "eco-friendly". Sure the raw bamboo is going to be easy enough to harvest, but the glues and chemicals used to press and laminate it certainly are not eco-friendly. One ingredient does not make a product eco friendly.
Which is quite funny considering that getting used equipment would be more sustainable and eco-friendly than releasing new, cheap stuff. And with a huge proliferation of cheap players and equipment from the likes of Crosley, Jensen, ION, etc., it adds further waste in landfills, carbon dioxide emission, and land/air pollution.
Absolutely! If one cares about the environment, buying a used table and saving it from the landfill is probably one of the most "sustainable" things one can do! I'm always looking for cool ways to recycle things, too...In fact, I posted a couple of threads about the subject...

viewtopic.php?t=82267
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=66009

We need to reuse all that we can and buying used items to fix up and/or repurpose is just ONE way that we can Help the situation! :D

I'm very aware of that fact every time I walk into a thrift store, as I scan the place for items I can utilize... :-k

The people at HOM are marketing this table based more on looks and not substance...And it looks like you are buying something "sustainable", when in reality, you're really NOT!

Best to keep looking...With a little patience, the right turntable (decidedly, one that won't ruin your valuable records) will come!

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 21 Oct 2017 15:20

Those of us who were kids/teens in the late '80s and early '90s probably remember being taught the Three Rs: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

Reduce and Reuse are just as important as Recycle. Reusing something is less energy-intensive and less costly than recycling something, and Reducing the amount of things that end up in the waste stream is the whole point.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 22 Oct 2017 02:06

Those who buy better things which are more durable and better made, spend less in the long run than those who buy inadequate things. Not just turntables, but everything major in life itself. I'd rather have good once (even if secondhand is all I can afford) than junk 5 times over.