the home of the turntable

Stir it up: House of Marley sustainable (?) turntable

snap, crackle and pop

Stir it up: House of Marley sustainable (?) turntable

Postby Japi Roelofs » 03 Oct 2016 11:00

Has anyone seen or heard one of these?

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theat ... turntable/

I wonder who the manufacturer is. The 'sustainable' idea is of course very nice, provided it is not a marketing gimmick. I don't know about the the bamboo though. I think it would be better for the earth to not use any wood at all, when it's not really needed. But I do understand it needs to be nice to look at too :D
Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
contributor

Netherlands

Re: Stir it up: House of Marley sustainable (?) turntable

Postby Paraneer » 03 Oct 2016 11:35

Japi Roelofs wrote:Has anyone seen or heard one of these?

The 'sustainable' idea is of course very nice, provided it is not a marketing gimmick. I don't know about the the bamboo though. I think it would be better for the earth to not use any wood at all, when it's not really needed. But I do understand it needs to be nice to look at too :D

Don't know much about this TT but thanks for the link and it's a nice looking entry level unit.

Are you trying to "stir it up"?
I would say its sustainable especially using Bamboo which is not wood. It's a plant, like grass, and has been used for years in renewable furniture. I have seen some speaker manufacturers use it for their cabinets. And even if it was wood, what could be more sustainable than this? It the most renewable major building material we have.

Would you want to use plastics when most of those are petroleum based? Especially our beloved vinyl records, LOL.
VPI Traveler V2, Ortofon Rondo Blue, Simaudio Moon 110LP
Technics SL-1400, Audio Technica AT-14sa, Pro-ject Phono Box S
Marantz PM15S2 LE, Oppo 103, Simaudio Moon 100D
Dynaudio Focus 260's & a REL T1 Sub
Paraneer
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby abs1 » 03 Oct 2016 16:34

I applaud the idea of using bamboo. It's a sustainable product with virtually no adverse impact on the environment. If anyone ever had a bamboo hedge growing in their yard they'd know all about it :wink:

I, too, wonder where it's being manufactured and would really like to know more about it (specs, etc.)

If it's any good at all it could be a world beater, but I wonder if Marley will be able to even come close to their $199 target price. They'd probably have to direct market it in order to hit that goal.

I wish the best of luck to them :D
VPI Traveler V1 w/modded tonearm, ZuAudio DL-103 II grade 2, Auditorium 23 SUT, Thorens TD160/Denon DL-103r, Denon AU-300 LC SUT, EAR 834P MM phono stage, Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum (KT120's) integrated, Jolida JD100A tube CD player, Audio Note 2.1B DAC, Tekton Design M-Lore towers.
abs1

United States of America

Postby robgil » 03 Oct 2016 22:14

Products like this will never be eco friendly, the need to upgrade to something better or more in step with current fashion will never be eco friendly, consumerism and the environment do not and will never go hand in hand.

If the people who bought these really gave a damn about sustainability , the environment etc etc they would be buying second hand and probably be getting a much better product for a lot less money.

That doesn't smell of sustainability, it wreaks of trend ability. I mean the ''house of marley'' the rasta thing going on with it, the whole package is just playing into the hands of blind consumerists.
robgil
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby scho2684 » 04 Oct 2016 06:43

robgil wrote:That doesn't smell of sustainability, it wreaks of trend ability. I mean the ''house of marley'' the rasta thing going on with it, the whole package is just playing into the hands of blind consumerists.

Well, lets have some facts here:
- Marley was a man known for his concern about, among a lot of other issues, the environment (whether you like it the way he brought it out or not)
- The house of Marley is to my knowledge a family owned organisation
- I just assume (yes, here we go blind) that all they do is within the acceptance of Marley's legacy...

I still believe in the good of mankind, despite of all the bad things happening.
When this family owned organisation is only aiming at the profit to the cost of what Marley really stood for, than that would be major betrayal to him personally.

I am not saying that it aint that way, I just say that I can't believe it...

Eco friendly is wrong naming though, less harmful is the better naming...

I have read a test somewhere (can't remember where) and it was stated that it is a nice decent entry level table, to the level of others in this price range, less environment harmful though...
Last edited by scho2684 on 04 Oct 2016 06:48, edited 1 time in total.
C.E.C. ST930, Jelco 750D / Technics SL-1200MKII , Audioquest? / SL-1700, SME SIII / Densen DP-Drive, DP-04 @ MC - DP-Drive Imp. DP-04 @ MM / Ensemble Virtuoso pre - Corifeo Power / Martin Logan Arius i / van den Hul MC One Special, AT-ML150/OCC, AT-OC9ML/II / Nakamichi 1000ZXL & 480
scho2684
long player
long player
contributor

Netherlands

Postby robgil » 04 Oct 2016 06:47

In this case he's a clothes horse being used to sell a product.
House of Ghandi anyone? How about the House of Mother Theresa? Doesn't quite have the same ring to it.
robgil
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby scho2684 » 04 Oct 2016 06:50

Is that just scepticism or do you have facts? (not a sarcastic question)
C.E.C. ST930, Jelco 750D / Technics SL-1200MKII , Audioquest? / SL-1700, SME SIII / Densen DP-Drive, DP-04 @ MC - DP-Drive Imp. DP-04 @ MM / Ensemble Virtuoso pre - Corifeo Power / Martin Logan Arius i / van den Hul MC One Special, AT-ML150/OCC, AT-OC9ML/II / Nakamichi 1000ZXL & 480
scho2684
long player
long player
contributor

Netherlands

Postby jives11 » 04 Oct 2016 07:41

The old CJ Walker CJ55 was one of the first decks to exploit MDF and used it not only for the plinth but also the 2 point sub-chasis. The arm board too. The platter was made from machined Tufnol, which I believe is a plastic-like material made from oil and often cotton.

http://ahistoryoftufnol.org/whatistufnol/index.html

So very little metal beyond the main bearing and motor and hardly any conventional plastic

Not sure how sustainable they would be considered, but a lot of wood and cotton went into each one, and, I would like one , if that counts :)
jives11
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby Japi Roelofs » 05 Oct 2016 12:04

That Tufnol stuff reminds me of Trespa. It appears to be a similar product; high pressure laminate of paper and resin. It's virtually unbreakable and very heavy. I use it to replace the thin hardboard Thorens bottom plates.

http://www.trespa.com/uk/who-we-are

Anyway, the most sustainable thing to do would be to not manufacture anything new at all. Recycling is the way.

When we see bamboo, we think sustainable. However it needs to be cultivated, harvested, transported and processed, which does not really contribute to the sustainability.
Recycling old plastic would probably be a better way. But that would not have the same 'sustainable image' as bamboo. And it doesn't look as sexy, now does it?
Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
contributor

Netherlands

Postby derspankster » 05 Oct 2016 15:49

My turntable is nearly 50 years old. It's not going into a landfill any time soon. I've willed it to my son and figure it's got a good many more years left to spin disks after I'm long gone.

On the other hand, I have a drawer full of old cell phones that don't work any more.

der
(not an expert on sustainability either)
ARXA with Jelco : Grado ZF2/8MZ : Cambridge 551P : HK 3480 : Onkyo 7030 : AR3a
derspankster
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby BMRR » 06 Oct 2016 17:11

Regarding the turntable: the design is rather appealing, and I could envision it being very attractive to young Crosley owners who want to upgrade to something better. Note the headphone jack on the front of the unit.

Mr. Marley mentioned in the video that the aluminum is also recycled. It's also stated in the article that the fabric covering is made from reclaimed hemp and cotton, and that the platter mat is from recycled rubber/silicone.

Considering the MSRP ($199), and considering some of the details I noticed, I'd be willing to bet that these turntables are made by Hanpin. Like it or not, Hanpin is almost certainly the world's most prolific turntable manufacturer at this point in time. We can only hope that they'll get better at it as the vinyl revival continues.

On a personal note, I don't like to see the word "sustainable" thrown around willy-nilly, but there's probably not much that can be done about that now. It'll soon being a meaningless advertising term, just like "natural." Having said that, if this turntable prompts a few Crosley Cruiser owners to step up to something better that won't kill their records, that might mean fewer records ending up in the waste stream. :wink:
What do dance clubs and classical radio stations have in common? Technics Direct Drive.™
BMRR
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby Copperhead » 03 Dec 2016 03:05

spinnin wrote: The stimulation may involve hands, fingers, everyday objects, or combinations of these."

Bamboo, anyone?

Heavily modified Crosley, Armstrad amplifier and two large terrapins.
Copperhead
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby vinyl master » 03 Dec 2016 07:34

robgil wrote:
If the people who bought these really gave a damn about sustainability , the environment etc etc they would be buying second hand and probably be getting a much better product for a lot less money.

That's the best way to recycle...If more people fixed up (or sold) things like an old turntable, and kept them out of the landfills, that would be a good start...There are too many used models out there already...We are too willing to buy things, and then throw them away once they don't suit our fancy, they break, or worse...just because we can, without any regard for what we're doing...If you don't like that sofa, cover it up or reupholster it! Buy clothes that will be classics for a long time, instead of only for a moment...Purchase furniture that won't fall apart within a year...What I see on trash day sometimes really annoys me...Of course, there are other things one can do, but even the small actions we take account for something...I'd rather buy a used turntable and really make a difference than buy a "sustainable" table that looks like I did...But, that is just my personal two cents...
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby Tinkaroo » 03 Dec 2016 12:08

vinyl master wrote:
robgil wrote:

That's the best way to recycle...If more people fixed up (or sold) things like an old turntable, and kept them out of the landfills, that would be a good start...There are too many used models out there already...We are too willing to buy things, and then throw them away once they don't suit our fancy, they break, or worse...just because we can, without any regard for what we're doing...If you don't like that sofa, cover it up or reupholster it! Buy clothes that will be classics for a long time, instead of only for a moment...Purchase furniture that won't fall apart within a year...What I see on trash day sometimes really annoys me...Of course, there are other things one can do, but even the small actions we take account for something...I'd rather buy a used turntable and really make a difference than buy a "sustainable" table that looks like I did...But, that is just my personal two cents...

I agree that we are doing more by fixing something up to save it from the landfill rather than buying something that needs to be manufactured even if it did partly come from renewable resources or recycled material. Some turntables were built well enough so that all they need is a bit of knowledge and some fresh lubricant. Some phono cartridges have lasted 40-50 years and just need a new stylus.

I think TV's are a good example in that many of the CRT TVs that were dumped in recent years were in perfect working order some with excellent picture quality. How many cell phones or ipods/pads get dumpe after only two years?
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby BMRR » 03 Dec 2016 16:48

As far as dumping things is concerned, folks need to remember that one's own trash might be someone else's treasure. I had a CRT TV that was far too heavy for me to haul to the dump (plus I would've had to pay a hazmat disposal fee), and I needed the damned thing out of my home, so I posted it in the Free Stuff section of craigslist. Within a day it was gone. Ditto for an air conditioner that needed a new computer board (good luck getting a replacement board for the manufacturer!). [I'm still mad about that one... the AC was only one year out of warranty when the board died.]

That said, I can't fault some people for wanting a brand new turntable. Plenty of our members are in that group. I was even in that group several years ago, until I discovered — the hard way — how crappy many of today's new turntables are.

VM and Tink, I also want to thank you for making your points respectfully and courteously.
What do dance clubs and classical radio stations have in common? Technics Direct Drive.™
BMRR
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Next

Return to Turntables and Tonearms