Ariston RD 40 power supply

snap, crackle and pop
xcow

Ariston RD 40 power supply

Post by xcow » 15 Jul 2016 17:08

Recently I got a Ariston RD40 with a aftermarket power supply. It has a 9V DC output , then go to the speed control box. I think my RD40 should run on a DC motor. Right now I want to upgrade the PWR supply. Any suggestion ? Thanks

alistersimington

Re: Ariston RD 40 power supply

Post by alistersimington » 10 Dec 2016 14:30

I have the same RD40 DC model (with a 33/45 switch & 2 speed control knobs on the front) from the early 80's. In my case I lost the original power supply in a move some time in the 90's and have been using a 5.7v (at 800ma) DC supply since ... and it works well.

But I want to get the right power supply for it now .. so can anyone confirm;
1. What is the correct power supply voltage for this model. i.e. Is it supposed to be 9V DC ?
2. As has been asked above ... I'm not proposing to replace the stock DC motor/ controller, but would it be worthwhile getting a quality 'liner power supply' as opposed to a normal plug pack.

Thanks

HAMISH119

Post by HAMISH119 » 13 Dec 2016 15:19

alistersimington wrote:I... have been using a 5.7v (at 800ma) DC supply since ... and it works well.
If the 5V7 supply provides the rotational speeds that you require, then 5V7 is good enough!

The motor and speed control circuitry design is 'Straight Outta Eindhoven', and is used in other turntables that were manufactured in the 'ELVIS Triangle'TM part of Scotland, most notably, The Mighty FONS CQ30 and FONS International MK1.
alistersimington wrote:...but would it be worthwhile getting a quality 'liner power supply' as opposed to a normal plug pack.

There may be some sonic benefit in using a regulated linear supply - not exceeding 9V DC (I'm guessing that you're currently using a 5V7/800mA, poorly regulated SMPS wall wart), but your money would be better spent on vinyl!

Draw comfort (schadenfreude) from the fact that a sustained piano note sounds like a sustained piano note and doesn't have any unwanted 'vibrato' effects, commonly known as flutter. :twisted: :evil: :lol:

Enjoy the music!

sebbe

Post by sebbe » 22 Jan 2017 15:30

Hi, my Ariston RD 40 turntable has an broken motor. How get a new one? It is the one with 2 controlknobs in front.

Briso
Scotland

Post by Briso » 19 Nov 2019 23:45

Also looking for a 9v Dc controller with the two pots on the front for my Ariston RD40

Alternatively does anyone know of other makes that used the same dc motor and associated controller as the Ariston RD 40?

Been searching on line without success