Dual 1219 repair

snap, crackle and pop
goodman75

Dual 1219 repair

Post by goodman75 » 14 Jun 2016 00:57

I have my Dual 1219 which I purchased in Singapore in 1971 while in the Navy. It has been in storage for 15 years and worked perfectly prior to putting it in storage. I recently unveiled it and whenI plugged it in, it wouldn't work. I is getting electric power. Is there a fuse I should bd ware of? help, please.

Poinzy

Re: Dual 1219 repair

Post by Poinzy » 14 Jun 2016 01:01

There's no fuse, but it sounds like you might need to clean some corroded electrical contacts.

Danilo_

Post by Danilo_ » 14 Jun 2016 01:13

Hmmm My old Dual stored for 30 years now Wouldn't work.. Period.
Did when put away tho :-)
Forensic disassembly (couple weeks ago) revealed that the rubber bits and the Monkey Motion mech bits had either deteriorated, siezed or deformed into Lumps.
Consequently it went immediately into the trashbin.

Big_Walleye

Post by Big_Walleye » 14 Jun 2016 01:24

Danilo_ wrote:Hmmm My old Dual stored for 30 years now Wouldn't work.. Period.
Did when put away tho :-)
Forensic disassembly (couple weeks ago) revealed that the rubber bits and the Monkey Motion mech bits had either deteriorated, siezed or deformed into Lumps.
Consequently it went immediately into the trashbin.
Dang. I wish I would have been there to intercept.

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 14 Jun 2016 01:47

Hi, my advice for you is to go to the dual forum on this site and read the first couple of post. They explain all about servicing your deck to get it into tip top shape. Once these turntables sit unused for any length of time they have a tendency to size up from old dried up grease. Most likely you will need to disassemble the mechanism and clean out all of the old grease then use fresh grease to lubricate the mechanism. Also there are some rubber parts thar will need to be replaced mostly the steurpimple. It's a small rubber piece that is used to move the tonearm in and out of play. I believe on the dual forum there is a video showing servicing of a 1219. Good luck and I hope this helps.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 14 Jun 2016 15:27

Unfortunately there is no easy fix for these. Cleaning only one part/mechanism just to get it going is not the best solution either. Once you clean/fix one part, others are sure to follow as they get used more, so they really need a full servicing if you want to use the turntable regularly. It is worth it in the end, and is indeed a labor of love, but they can come back to their full glory if the time is taken to do it right. The good news is that you don't need replacement parts (except for the steuerpimpel); they just need to be taken apart, cleaned off of old dried grease, have new grease applied, and reassembled. If you like to tinker with mechanical things, the challenge of fixing one can be fulfilling and fun. If not, maybe you can find someone locally that does that sort of work.

There are some very thorough and well-done repair guides available in PDF format - some are free, others cost a few bucks - but there aren't really any videos since they would be HOURS long. I am in the process of restoring five Duals that I've rescued from my dad's garage, so trust me...there are no shortcuts.

goodman75

Post by goodman75 » 14 Jun 2016 18:36

Thank you all for your sound advice (no pun intended!)

audiomagnate

Post by audiomagnate » 03 Dec 2019 23:47

jdjohn wrote:
14 Jun 2016 15:27
Unfortunately there is no easy fix for these. Cleaning only one part/mechanism just to get it going is not the best solution either. Once you clean/fix one part, others are sure to follow as they get used more, so they really need a full servicing if you want to use the turntable regularly. It is worth it in the end, and is indeed a labor of love, but they can come back to their full glory if the time is taken to do it right. The good news is that you don't need replacement parts (except for the steuerpimpel); they just need to be taken apart, cleaned off of old dried grease, have new grease applied, and reassembled. If you like to tinker with mechanical things, the challenge of fixing one can be fulfilling and fun. If not, maybe you can find someone locally that does that sort of work.

There are some very thorough and well-done repair guides available in PDF format - some are free, others cost a few bucks - but there aren't really any videos since they would be HOURS long. I am in the process of restoring five Duals that I've rescued from my dad's garage, so trust me...there are no shortcuts.
Actually, the steuerpimple repair is quick and easy. It took me about half an hour and now I have a perfectly functioning 1219. I had cleaned and lubed it a few years ago in an attempt to get the arm moving properly but that didn't work. A quick YouTube search did the trick. I "reconditioned" my old slippery steuerpimple instead of replacing it with cable insulation like in the video. The glue holding the steuerpimple in place had dried out and again, that was simple enough. A minute amount of contact cement on the contact surfaces finished the job. That was months ago and it's still working perfectly.