Sony PS-X70 vs Today's turntables

snap, crackle and pop
HovingtoN

Sony PS-X70 vs Today's turntables

Post by HovingtoN » 21 Jan 2016 23:19

Hi guys,

A couple of years ago, someone gave me an excellent condition Sony PS-X70 turntable, could say mint condition.

I bought a Denon DL-110 cartridge for it and got back into vinyls.

Since then, I invested quite a lot in records and I'm wondering if now that I know that I enjoy listening to LPs, would I be better served by a new turntable or do I have a nice pearl in my hand and wouldn't benefit from a new buy ?

I have 4 contenders in the same range :

Marantz TT15 S1
Clear audio Concept
Rega RP6
VPI Scout Jr.

Would these turntables give me a better performance ? Would it be significant justifying the investment ?

Or should I pay to get a better cartridge for my Sony, and pay to do some maintenance on it (Check the bearings, oil the mechanism etc.)

Side question
If a new turntable is the better choice, which one do you recommend and why ?

Erin1

Re: Sony PS-X70 vs Today's turntables

Post by Erin1 » 21 Jan 2016 23:47

I have not ever heard your turntable, but I think it would be wise to take it to your local hi fi shop and compare it to the turntables on your list.

If the new ones dont sound better then stick with your Sony.

HovingtoN

Post by HovingtoN » 21 Jan 2016 23:58

Yeah, the thing is I do not have the opportunity to hear them locally, and before settling for a ride in the big city, I wanted to know if the answer is obvious or not.

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 22 Jan 2016 00:22

What is it that makes you wonder if you could improve upon this fine table? They are all belt drive that you mention and that eliminates any possible means of surpassing the speed stability that you currently have. The arm is vetted as being very good also. Read this. http://www.thevintageknob.org/Sony-PS-X70.html If your unit is in good working order for crying out loud be happy to have such a nice piece of gear. Try out some other cartridges for a change of presentation. What you got is SWEET fella!

ginniegatrit
long player
long player

Post by ginniegatrit » 22 Jan 2016 00:30

rewfew wrote:What is it that makes you wonder if you could improve upon this fine table? They are all belt drive that you mention and that eliminates any possible means of surpassing the speed stability that you currently have. The arm is vetted as being very good also. Read this. http://www.thevintageknob.org/Sony-PS-X70.html If your unit is in good working order for crying out loud be happy to have such a nice piece of gear. Try out some other cartridges for a change of presentation. What you got is SWEET fella!
From that link:

Like the earlier PS-X7, the X70 turned out to be one of Sony's bestselling turntable - and it wasn't cheap. The entire series is part of the most sold japanese turntables : there are tens of thousands of them around.
Add in a Denon DL-160 or a Sony XL-55 (the PUA-7 deserves good moving-coil cartridges, even heavyweights like the old DL-103) and you will be stunned by the results.
Quality, reliability and convenience all rolled into one : japanese engineering at its best.

I wouldn't be looking to spend on anything else if I had it!

totem
Canada

Post by totem » 22 Jan 2016 00:46

The Sony is quite capable and I surmise you would have to go higher in the new market to surpass its capability.
That said if your looking for more out of your current table, I would first consider the cartridge and look into what specs are optimum for it capacitance etc.
What phono stage are you using that sort of thing.

HovingtoN

Post by HovingtoN » 22 Jan 2016 00:49

I read that it was a good turntable, but I'm wondering if modern design could outperform it.

I must say Im surprised that tables from today that are very well regarded couldn't give me more. I'm surprised of your answers, but sure I would be more than happy to spend money elsewhere if it is not necessary.

I got a pretty good revealing soundsystem and also wondering if modern designs could give me better detailed sound.

HovingtoN

Post by HovingtoN » 22 Jan 2016 00:51

totem wrote:The Sony is quite capable and I surmise you would have to go higher in the new market to surpass its capability.
That said if your looking for more out of your current table, I would first consider the cartridge and look into what specs are optimum for it capacitance etc.
What phono stage are you using that sort of thing.
I have a clearaudio nano which can accomodate a lot of possible cartridges

dribbler

Post by dribbler » 22 Jan 2016 02:30

None of the TT´s you list is better than a healty PS-X70.

dribbler

Post by dribbler » 22 Jan 2016 02:33

rewfew wrote:What is it that makes you wonder if you could improve upon this fine table? They are all belt drive that you mention and that eliminates any possible means of surpassing the speed stability that you currently have. The arm is vetted as being very good also. Read this. http://www.thevintageknob.org/Sony-PS-X70.html If your unit is in good working order for crying out loud be happy to have such a nice piece of gear. Try out some other cartridges for a change of presentation. What you got is SWEET fella!
I can not avoid to comment your statement of DD vs BD. I can assure you that there are belt drive TT´s that are more speed stable (lower wow and flutter) than a PS-X70. But you wont find them in the list in thread start.

Paraneer
long player
long player

Post by Paraneer » 22 Jan 2016 12:02

HovingtoN wrote: I have 4 contenders in the same range :

Marantz TT15 S1
Clear audio Concept
Rega RP6
VPI Scout Jr.

Would these turntables give me a better performance ? Would it be significant justifying the investment

Or should I pay to get a better cartridge for my Sony, and pay to do some maintenance on it (Check the bearings, oil the mechanism etc.)
Your post raises two questions that are cause for endless debate...
1. Vintage vs. Modern
2. Direct Drive vs. Belt
You are asking about a replacing a TT that is the former with one that is the latter. I am not surprised you are getting replies favoring the Sony. I love this site but it is rather partisan towards vintage. There are others where you would get the exact opposite answers.

As one who owns and enjoys both - a servo controlled direct drive, fully functioning, vintage Technics and a modern, belt driven VPI, I say don't do anything hasty and make the trip to hear a few of the above for yourself. Bring a record you enjoy on your Sony and ask that the TT be auditioned with a similar cartridge and electronics.

And just a few words about the differences in the TT's you site. You currently have a fully automatic TT and the ones you are considering are manual. If you enjoy the automatic operation and would miss it - then you answered your own question with no help from us. Also, you mention paying to have the maintenance done. Here is my concern - if you cannot do it yourself, do not pay a shop to repair vintage. They are not cheap and repair bills may exceed the value of the unit. Also, since the Sony is pushing 40 years old, what happen in a few years when something else needs to be repaired? A vintage TT is very much like a vintage automobile. If your not comfortable doing all the maintenance and repair yourself, perhaps new and modern is better for you.

Whatever you do, good luck. I hope some of my comments assist you.

HovingtoN

Post by HovingtoN » 22 Jan 2016 12:59

Yeah, it is a concern I had regarding maybe a little bias towards vintage tables, but this site is the most knowledgeable about vintage tables that I know, so probably one of the only places that is aware of the real sonic values of the Sony.

This being said, about the convenience of automatic vs manual, I value more sound quality than convenience, so it is not an issue. My friend has a Rega RP40, and I'm well aware of the trade off of convenience.

I have a modern sound system, so I thought a modern table design give more performance. I was in the impression his Rega RP40 (which is about between a RP3 and a RP6 in quality) was more detailed and give overall a better sound on his sound system, and his sound system is less detailed than mine, so it says a lot. But the RP40 comes with a much more expensive cartridge than my DL-110, which may explain a part of the difference. I do like the warm side of my side Sony presentation better than is colder RP40 presentation though.

So with these things in mind, I thought a newer turntable could give me more resolution, and a more solid playback, my turntable being close to 40 years old after all.

But, maybe if I put something like a Dynavector 10x5 on my Sony, the details and performance would be as good or better as the tables I mentioned in my original post.

So, to resume, sound quality is main criteria here and I would like a more detailed presentation while keeping the warmish presentation that I enjoy right now.

Smoke Screen

Post by Smoke Screen » 23 Jan 2016 02:31

I hardly doubt that you will find this combination of quality and comfort
in an actual produced turntable. I mean,the drive system is better than
what vinyl itself can offer,so it all breaks down to cartridge/tonearm synergy.
Your wrote youre using a DL-110. Well,try a DL-304 or a DV17D3.
That is all there is to gain better soundquality.
"Modern" turntables are not that modern at all,except for the technology who
produces them. Compared to those a PS-X70 is a piece out of a science fiction
film.

vexorgtr

Post by vexorgtr » 23 Jan 2016 03:11

That Sony table if working properly is very good. Similar to one I own. I updated the cart on mine, and it's a favorite. You're good on a table, now just worry about other stuff.

Van_Isle
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Van_Isle » 23 Jan 2016 03:33

I had two PS-X60 turntables. Still trying to figure out why I sold both.