Problems with the Teac TN-300

snap, crackle and pop
dakrisht

Problems with the Teac TN-300

Post by dakrisht » 11 Jan 2016 23:54

Having some issues with a new Teac TN-300 and feel it might be the table or the inability to ground the table to the amp (since it has no grounding screw). Getting buzz into the speakers and it is not a ground loop issue as my other components are working fine, amp is brand new and so are the speakers + cables.

Connected to a pair of KEF R300s via a new Yamaha A-S501 amp.

The table has a Shure M97xE cartridge as well.

Any ideas?

Also, while we're on the topic - should I simply get a better table? Rega RP-3 or Pro-Ject? (I've heard the Pro-Jects have poor motors).

Would love some recommendations. Thanks.

curtw

Re: Problems with the Teac TN-300

Post by curtw » 12 Jan 2016 01:36

I was having hum too, and thought that maybe I could get an improved ground path through my computer if I plugged in the USB cable. That made it WORSE. So I ran a wire from one of the screws adjacent to the RCA jacks to the ground lug on my preamp, and the hum went down to an acceptable level (if I turn my amp all the way up, I can hear it, but I never listen to music that loud).

With this, you'll want to find somewhere to bleed off any static charge from your body before handling the turntable. If you just reach out and touch the headshell, you'll get a pretty good pop through your speakers.

No idea if this will help if you're using the built-in preamp.

AudioSoul
long player
long player

Post by AudioSoul » 12 Jan 2016 14:15

I know this is an easy (but expensive) way of doing it but, just get a better turntable. I have been in this hobby many years and it just does pay to fiddle fart with cheap equipment....

curtw

Post by curtw » 13 Jan 2016 14:11

AudioSoul wrote:I know this is an easy (but expensive) way of doing it but, just get a better turntable. I have been in this hobby many years and it just does pay to fiddle fart with cheap equipment....
With all due respect, for some folks an expensive solution would never be considered easy, or even realistic. For many budgets, it's as if this were a car forum and you told a person looking to reduce road noise in a Hyundai to "scrap it and buy a Lexus."

This turntable isn't "cheap". It has a replaceable cartridge and adjustable tracking force and anti-skate. In reality, it seems to do better than its wow & flutter spec. With a built in phono pre and A/D converter, it's a very nice looking and performing entry level turntable. While you can argue about whether it's worth the $400 MSRP (I got mine from an eBay liquidator for $60), it's not so trashy that it's not worth fiddling with in such a tiny way as attempting to ground it. If tying in to an existing screw hadn't done the trick, I would have certainly felt it worthwhile to go to the next level and dig into the guts to find a conductive path.

It very certainly requires less fiddling than my Accutrac 4000, and therefore gets played more frequently.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 14 Jan 2016 17:28

dakrisht wrote:Having some issues with a new Teac TN-300...
If it's new, why not return/exchange it, or at the very least get TEAC to repair it under warranty?

Those should be your first steps. Don't go trying to take it apart or modify it just yet, as that would void your warranty.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 14 Jan 2016 17:30

dakrisht wrote:The table has a Shure M97xE cartridge as well.
Did the buzzing start before or after you replaced the stock cartridge with the Shure?

Have you checked the lead wires between the cartridge and the headshell? A loose, damaged, or incorrectly connected lead wire can cause humming or buzzing.

dakrisht

Post by dakrisht » 17 Jan 2016 07:23

BMRR wrote:
dakrisht wrote:Having some issues with a new Teac TN-300...
If it's new, why not return/exchange it, or at the very least get TEAC to repair it under warranty?

Those should be your first steps. Don't go trying to take it apart or modify it just yet, as that would void your warranty.
I might do this next after trying the ground screw approach.

dakrisht

Post by dakrisht » 17 Jan 2016 07:25

BMRR wrote:
dakrisht wrote:The table has a Shure M97xE cartridge as well.
Did the buzzing start before or after you replaced the stock cartridge with the Shure?

Have you checked the lead wires between the cartridge and the headshell? A loose, damaged, or incorrectly connected lead wire can cause humming or buzzing.
You know I'm actually not sure. But I have triple checked the lead wires and have performed the vinyl engine Baerwald stupid protractor test. I'll replace the Shure with the stock cartridge and do some testing.

rich12

Post by rich12 » 17 Jan 2016 16:28

dakrisht wrote:I'll replace the Shure with the stock cartridge and do some testing.
In my opinion, the Shure is not better than the stock Audio-Technica AT95E, just different. Depending on the music, I could prefer either.

Jackonz

Post by Jackonz » 08 Feb 2017 11:11

I have just been given a TN-300 as a present so while I am happy with it I too have a Hum coming from the Speakers, it only appears when I have the TT conected to the Phono input on my Marantz reciver, if conected via Aux or CD input and use the pre amp in the TT there is no Hum.
I tried using a ground cable from amd to TT to no avail but I belive I have pined down the cause but yet to confirm same, more on that at later.
So first I tried altenative RCA leads and found that some made the problem bigger than either reducing or eliminating the Hum to my amazment one set of leads were Wired World yet another set of the same make reduced it, now the hum sounds like classic earth loop so I made sure all power conections were on a common power board with a filter and no change there and turning the power button on and off at the TT made no change.
Then why I did this I dont really recall but it pinned it down I unplugged the power supply to the TT and bingo it stopped, now the power supply is a 2 pin no earth cheap switching power supply and that I think causes the Hum, OK I hear you say so what is the cure and why only when you bypass the on board pre amp? Without pulling the TT apart I can only assume that there are non shielded wires from the Tone Arm close to the power cables and that when you use the Pre Amp these are disabled, so to test the theory out I may find a conector cable and a DC battery of the correct voltage and connect it up and see if there is no Hum as switching power supplys have this problem unless correctly shielded.
Yes I could use the onboard pre amp and have no Hum but I did find the sound quality not as good as it lacked mid range, I could also try a diffrent Cartridge and reason for that is that the AT item only has as I recall a 3.5mv output and then you have to use a higher gain (volume) do get decent sound, what I am thinking is an Ortofon 2M Red or Blue item as these have a 5.5mv output so you use less gain for the same volume plus a lower tracking force of 1.8gram so less wear on the records.

Jackonz

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 08 Feb 2017 11:59

>> "Having some issues with a new Teac TN-300 and feel it might be the table or the inability to ground the table to the amp (since it has no grounding screw). " <<

Hum through speakers is a grounding problem. If there is no grounding screw on the amplifier, then you might try to attach the grounding wire from the turntable to some other screw on the amplifier or other equipment, like a chassi screw or something like that.

ammarmariti
Malaysia

Post by ammarmariti » 08 Feb 2017 12:26

Does any of your equipment has a ground plug? It seems that this problem is common on chains with only 2 prong plugs. I would connect the amplifier case to another equipment's case that has a 3 pin power plug.

Jackonz

Post by Jackonz » 08 Feb 2017 17:42

Hi, yes my equipment has a ground conection and it was the first thing I tried all to no avail, i tried the conection on various screws on the TT and it made no diffrence at all.

Jackonz

Post by Jackonz » 08 Feb 2017 17:47

To add to last all my equipment has power points that have a 3 pin socket, the Teac TN-300 is supplied with an external 2 pin transformer plug like what you get for your cell phone its a cheap an nasty switching power supply.

Jackonz

Post by Jackonz » 09 Feb 2017 04:48

If i had purchased it then yes it would be returned however I did not it was a birthday gift for my 65th and my son wanted to get it for me as a surprise and I dont want to upset him, had I known he was getting this I would have said no and asked him to put it against a Thorens TT and I would have added more cash as required.
Later this evening I will be hooking up a 12v DC pure power supply from a dry cell battery and will let you know how I get on.